• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jackpot 4 VS. Pep 22

40 posts in this topic

Another good reference as to the timing of the issues, in the last panel of the Archie story in Pep #23 (yes #23, not 22), they say that if you like Archie, you'll also find him in the new issue of Jackpot Comics #4 on the stands now.

I think that gives some certainty to Pep #22 appearing before Jackpot #4 and probably also that Pep #23 was issued just before or almost simultaneous with Jackpot #4.

Thanx guys for guys for clearing this up. I always wondered about this. And thank you GATOR for your wonderful insightful comments on this manner. It was really helpful!!
:acclaim:

it was like 200 cheaper about 10 seconds before it ended. would have been ok with paying that. while we're on topic. whats a 0.5-0 cop usually run for the big 3? (archie 1, pep 22 and jackpot 4)

Pep 22 is Archie's first appearance, Pep 23 is his second, Jackpot 4 is likely tied with Pep 24 as his third appearance. At one point Shield looked for copies with arrival dates, and this was the result.

Pep was a monthly and #22 is the December 1941 issue, while Jackpot was a quarterly and #4 was the Winter issue. I'm not sure why someone decided that meant they were both published at the same time. (shrug)

Probably because "someone" owns a copy of Jackpot 4.

Pep 22 is Archie's first appearance, Pep 23 is his second, Jackpot 4 is likely tied with Pep 24 as his third appearance. At one point Shield looked for copies with arrival dates, and this was the result.

Pep was a monthly and #22 is the December 1941 issue, while Jackpot was a quarterly and #4 was the Winter issue. I'm not sure why someone decided that meant they were both published at the same time. (shrug)

Probably because "someone" owns a copy of Jackpot 4.

be careful Tim, you might get quite the zinger making comments like that :cool:

4375098917_986aea2238.jpg4512397725_4c366609b6.jpg

I don't have any of those rare books but I do have a copy of Pep 25 (but this is someone else's scan) and another book with an article about Bob Montana. I like his work on the Fox and other strips. He was very talented and should get more attention.

From Wikipedia

Born in Stockton, California, he was the son of ex-Ziegfeld girl Roberta Pandolfini Montana and Ray Montana, a top banjo player on the Keith vaudeville circuit. Bob Montana knew he wanted to be a cartoonist from the age of seven. Traveling to vaudeville houses in all 48 states before the age of nine, he received his childhood schooling backstage in theater dressing rooms, where he also learned about comedy and humor writing. During summers, the family stayed in Meredith, New Hampshire, where his father raised vegetables and operated a restaurant. Bob Montana practiced his cartooning by drawing caricatures of the restaurant's customers. When he was 13, his father died of a heart attack, and his mother remarried.

[edit] Early life

Montana's stepfather had managed a theatrical costume shop in Bradford, Massachusetts. In 1936, the family moved to Haverhill, Massachusetts and, from 1936 to 1939, Montana attended Haverhill High School. When he was 17 and 18 in 1937-38, he kept diaries of local events and news stories, illustrating the diary pages with his cartoons. The students and faculty of Haverhill High later inspired the leading characters in the Archie cast, as revealed in a 1970s Boston Globe article by film critic Gerald Peary.[2]

He spent time in Boston, where his mother and her husband ran a restaurant. On weekends he worked in Boston, drawing and painting Red Cross and WWII posters. In his senior year, Montana moved to Manchester, New Hampshire, where he graduated from Central High in 1940.

[edit] MLJ (Archie) Comics

Main article: Archie Comics

Moving to New York, he studied at the Phoenix Art Institute while freelancing. At the age of 21, he created Archie for MLJ's Pep Comics (December, 1941). The success of the character led MLJ to assign Montana to draw the first issue of Archie (November, 1942).

During World War II, Montana spent four years in the Army Signal Corps, drawing coded maps and working on training films with William Saroyan and cartoonists Sam Cobean and Charles Addams. He was stationed at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, where, in 1944, he met a 19-year-old Army secretary, Peggy Wherett, from Asbury Park, New Jersey. Married in 1946, they moved to Manhattan, where Montana was soon drawing the daily and Sunday Archie comic strips for 700 newspapers.

Two years later, the couple moved to Meredith, New Hampshire, and bought an old New England farmhouse where they raised four children, organic vegetables, assorted chickens, horses and sheep. The entire family sometimes lived for extended periods in England, Rome and Mexico.

After hours at the drawing table, Montana relaxed by sailing his Friendship sloop, the White Eagle, on Lake Winnipesaukee, and taking ski jaunts through the back country near his home. He died of a heart attack on January 4, 1975, while cross-country skiing in Meredith.

From 1999 to 2003, his daughter, Lynn Montana, of Meredith, along with her sister, Paige Kuether, managed a web site, Archie Prints, to market prints of their father's artwork. The site featured pages from the diary-sketchbook kept by Montana about life in Haverhill High during the late 1930s. The Bob Montana Papers are in the Special Collections at Syracuse University.

For some reason every time I go to buy an Archie book I end up with an Archie #50 :grin:

Bruce

Isn't that the only issue of Archie there is? :cloud9:

3SweetBettys.jpg

:applause: Very nice. I only have 2 copies myself, but a couple more could never hurt.

Bruce

:applause: Very nice. I only have 2 copies myself, but a couple more could never hurt.

Bruce

That pic was kind of a cheat. I was selling them for my friend, Phil, but it was a blast being surrounded by Archies for awhile. Some of the funnest GA reading around. He did let me pick and keep one though. :whee:

if you looked at who started the thread, that should answer that question doh!

Although, to be fair, the CGC label for Jackpot #4 does say that it's the same month as Pep #22. (thumbs u

So maybe the question is: why did someone at CGC decide they were published at the same time? (shrug)

if you looked at who started the thread, that should answer that question doh!

Although, to be fair, the CGC label for Jackpot #4 does say that it's the same month as Pep #22. (thumbs u

So maybe the question is: why did someone at CGC decide they were published at the same time? (shrug)

It could have been published in the same month as Pep 22 but on the stands a couple weeks after. Publishers don't issue all their books on the same day each month.

OK so an incomplete coverless Archie sells for $900+. Yeah I know it's basically rare but Jeez.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190392293503

I wasn't even close on this book and I stayed up, sick as a dog, 'til 11:30 to snipe it.

Oh well, she stays a bridesmaid waiting to get married, sniff....

scan.jpg