• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spencer Beck and CGC?

26 posts in this topic

So what is the deal with Spencer Beck. Why does he have such strong feelings towards CGC? I talked to the guy once on the phone. Surely something can be worked out with him. Any thoughts?

I think he and his artist's dont like CGC and SS in particular because they are upset at fact that when books get signed they go for so much more than raw and they dont get a cut of money!

I was selling some Daredevil books SS'd by David Maccuzelli (sp?) and Spence had the nerve to email me. asking me to break the books out of their holder, In effect ruining books

(whole thread about it below)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=58&Number=3893928

Who does Spencer Beck represent?

According to his website he is DIRECT EXCLUSIVE REPRESENTATIVE:

JIM APARO

TONY HARRIS

GINA GOING-RANEY

MARK BAGLEY

TAN ENG HUAT

TOM RANEY

MATT "BATT" BANNING

JACK JADSON

JORDAN RASKIN

CHRIS BATISTA

PHIL JIMENEZ

IVAN REIS

JON BOGDANOVE

RUY JOSE

ROY RICHARDSON

JUNE BRIGMAN

DAN JURGENS

PRENTISS ROLLINS

ERIC CANNON

LEONARD KIRK

MARSHALL ROGERS

NICK CARDY

ANDY LANNING

JOHN ROMITA, JR.

SEAN CHEN

BOB LARKIN

JOE ROSAS

JIMMY CHEUNG

BOB LAYTON

LUKE ROSS

IAN CHURCHILL

KEVIN MAGUIRE

JOSEF RUBINSTEIN

MATTHEW CLARK

LEONARDO MANCO

MARIE SEVERIN

OLIVIER COIPEL

TOM McCRAW

PATRICK SCHERBERGER

ANDREA DiVITO

STEVE McNIVEN

CAM SMITH

KIERON DWYER

DANNY MIKI

JOE STATON

DALE EAGLESHAM

STEVE MONTANO

JOHN STOKES

STEVE EPTING

MARK MORALES

BILLY TAN

JOSE LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ

RAGS MORALES

ART THIBERT

RON GARNEY

TOM MORGAN

SAL TRAPANI

KEITH GIFFEN

DAN PANOSIAN

ETHAN VAN SCIVER

GIORDANO

GEORGE PEREZ

RICARDO VILLAGRAN

JACKSON GUICE

HOWARD PORTER

KEV WALKER

SCOTT HANNA

OE QUESADA

BOB WIACEK

RODNEY RAMOS

So what is the deal with Spencer Beck. Why does he have such strong feelings towards CGC? I talked to the guy once on the phone. Surely something can be worked out with him. Any thoughts?

I have known Spencer for the better part of 15 years now. He approaches his position towards his clients with a great deal of reverence and respect for their wishes.

He's an artist's representative. He represents the feelings of his clients as they inform him of what those feelings are. Several of them, from some interactions they have had over the years with people associated with the program, have feeling that are less than positive.

If you are having difficulty with Spencer it is a reflection of how his clients feel about the people they have dealt with in relation to the program and, as an extension, the program itself.

Several artists have gotten the impression, from the way certain people have treated them, that they are seen as ATM machines and expected to turn over their signatures or sketches for little or no money while someone else seeks to profit greatly from them. While this impression may incorrect as it pertains to the majority of the people involved with the CGC SS program, there are those individuals that have treated creators in a less than respectful way with disregard for their wishes, their desires and (in some cases) their health.

Now, more than ever, it is key to get information out there that the CGC SS program can be a wonderful and positive experience for creators.

Even MORE importantly, now if the the time to have ambassadors for the CGC SS program that now how to deal with creators on a personal level, show them the proper level of respect and provide the highest possible level of transparency as it pertains to the process so that they understand the effort, costs, and actual dollars involved so that the talent does not feel as if advantage were taken of them.

Yea Chris is right, he represents the wishes of his artists, ive talked to him before about getting a book inked by Matt Banning for CGC SS and he never had any problems with it, so he doesnt necessarily not like SS, in that situation it was Mazz who didnt.

The guy must have some amazing pull in the hereafter if he still represents Jim Aparo, Dick Giordano, and Marshall Rogers.

As much art as those guys produced, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was repping the estate and continuing to sell art posthumously.

Maybe if you rubbed him the right way he will relax a little Chandler.

Well, he definitely ain't recruiting the talent by showing them that website. Yowzers, that thing needs work bad. It hurts my eyes to look at it (not to mention my sensibilities as a designer). :eek:

Yeek :eek:

He does indeed need professional help with that puppy...

The guy must have some amazing pull in the hereafter if he still represents Jim Aparo, Dick Giordano, and Marshall Rogers.

As much art as those guys produced, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was repping the estate and continuing to sell art posthumously.

oh now i get it. :baiting:

I cant see that entire list not liking CGC simply said that MOST long term SIGNATURE collectors are wanting to get them in CGC Slabs afterwards as what better way to preserve the great artists signature and 2 have it permanently encapsulated in a almost inpenatrable slab, even perhaps with other great artist sigs next 2 their own.

Granted there are clowns on ebay asking 20 to 50X the books value just because it was signed, but I hope most people would know that these books just sit in these special cases EBAY STORES and rarely if ever sell.

But if so many artists are SOOO PEEVED AT THIS CGC SS OUTBREAK whats 2 stop them from collaborating and snagging their piece of this pie that may be actually beneficial to the amount of money and time put in from those that run their escapades from comic con to comic con to private signing with the SS books?

Seems very time consuming 2 me.

my thoughts

i am an autograph collector. i have collected sports sigs and celebrity sigs most of my life. cgc ss is something that has come along and allowed people to get certified sigs for far less money then ever before. all of that said when i really think about it. it blows my mind how a person simply signing their name gives something value or more value.