• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am starting to feel the love for Romita Spidey

99 posts in this topic

But as I have filled in my open slots, I have begun to understand the love people have for Romita. The artwork is different but it has slowly become who Spider-Man is to me.

Romita is quintessential Spidey for me. Always has been. I like Ditko's Spidey. I LOVE Romita's Spidey.

Ditto, John Romita was the best at Spider-Man. I've liked many of the others, but most have odd quirks that don't look right, like the McFarland webs and Spidey eyes, as mentioned before.

I'd have to agree with several of these points. Though, McFarland was more of my time, growing up in the 80's, I have always gravitated towards the earlier ASMs. The webs never bothered me, but those big bug eyes did.

I've always liked the earliest Spidey's (i.e. Ditko's Spidey), but maybe more just because of the character development and all the groundwork laid out . .all the key villains that would battle Spidey to this day. When I think of my favorite issues growing up, I immediately think of the early 40's and up. In fact #44 and #51 were the first 2 comics I think I ever bought in a comic shop. I've always really liked his style. I never really thought exactly why, but maybe things like the thicker (sometimes harsher) lines in Ditko's faces is a component.

Kinda makes me think back on the early Betty Brant (i.e. Ditko's). Sometimes she looked pretty decent, but other times she looked a bit like a scary old lady . . "what would Peter ever see in her?" :)

I love both Ditko and Romita (McFarlane too) but for me I would have to pick Ditko. I think a lot of it has to do with those first 38 issues just having so much impact on me when I started collecting and reading the Tales in Marvel Tales. Those first issues introduced so many of my favorite villians, starting collecting in the late 80's reading ASM all I wanted to do was go back and read the original issues featuring the villians I liked so much....and where did I find them? In those original Ditko issues! (well reprints)

I love Romita too but Ditko holds a special place in my heart. :cloud9: ...

(thumbs u to all! The 80s Marvel Tales got me started on early ASMs as well.

Romita is my favorite.

McFarland was a god-send at the time though.

ASM had been incredibly hit and miss for years (mostly miss).

I started collecting with issue 260. Outside of hobgoblin appearances and Kraven's last hunt, the next 3 years were not very good on this title. If it wasn't for back issues, I would probably not have kept collecting.

McFarland made ASM worth reading again.

I'd have to agree with several of these points. Though, McFarland was more of my time, growing up in the 80's, I have always gravitated towards the earlier ASMs. The webs never bothered me, but those big bug eyes did.

I've always liked the earliest Spidey's (i.e. Ditko's Spidey), but maybe more just because of the character development and all the groundwork laid out . .all the key villains that would battle Spidey to this day. When I think of my favorite issues growing up, I immediately think of the early 40's and up. In fact #44 and #51 were the first 2 comics I think I ever bought in a comic shop. I've always really liked his style. I never really thought exactly why, but maybe things like the thicker (sometimes harsher) lines in Ditko's faces is a component.

Kinda makes me think back on the early Betty Brant (i.e. Ditko's). Sometimes she looked pretty decent, but other times she looked a bit like a scary old lady . . "what would Peter ever see in her?" :)

Romita and Ditko are definitely tied for my favorite Spidey artists. McFarlane was very fresh at the time, but his body of work is fairly small on Amazing. Still amazingly detailed art. I'm also a fan of Gil Kanes Spidey.

I remember reading an interview with McFarlane many years ago in which he said something to the effect of "you put a lot of scribbles into the frame and the kids call it detail." That is not an exact quote of what he said but it is the sentiment.

McFarlane also said something to the effect that he wanted to create a very unique style different from anything that had been used in the past. The quote went something like - Everyone was still drawing Spiderman like Romita from the 1970's with outdated clothing like bell-bottom pants and butterfly collars.

His style was unique but at the same time a little too campy - especially those who came on to draw the book after he left. Bug eyes, wild hair and odd proportions.

McFarlane's work on Incredible Hulk (while he was grey) from the same time period worked much better IMO.

I liked Ron Frenz's run - alot of people compare his style as "warmed-over" Ditko however...

I liked it as well. I always considered it an homage to Ditko. I believe that's what it was meant to be. Just like Frenz's Thor was an homage to Kirby

McFarlane also said something to the effect that he wanted to create a very unique style different from anything that had been used in the past. The quote went something like - Everyone was still drawing Spiderman like Romita from the 1970's with outdated clothing like bell-bottom pants and butterfly collars.

His style was unique but at the same time a little too campy - especially those who came on to draw the book after he left. Bug eyes, wild hair and odd proportions.

McFarlane's work on Incredible Hulk (while he was grey) from the same time period worked much better IMO.

All well and good Mr. McFarlane, but that's still no excuse for :censored: -ing up the costume. The Romita Spider-Man's costume was defined. The webbing was the same from panel to panel.

Here are my top five favorites:

1. Romita Sr.

2. Ditko

3. Kane

4. Byrne

5. Andru

In the relatively Modern Age, Michael Golden and Steve Skroce both did a pretty cool Spider-Man.

The most over rated artist in the history of comics is Steve Ditko. :eyeroll:

John Romita Sr. is the #1 Spider-man ARTIST for the Silver-age and Bronze Age with no one even close. His covers are so amazingly detailed and rich with bright colors, and his constant involvement with his fans over the years is also a plus. A very nice man indeed. (thumbs u

TMc is the reason I got into comics in the first place. If I didn't pick up that issue of ASM 320 at the 7-11 Store when I was a kid then I highly doubt I would have ever collected comic books in the first place. TMc and Jim Lee are the best modern artists I have ever seen (honorable mention to to Michael Turner RIP). The way Todd drew the actual character Spider-man and his movement of action motion is how I will always view Spider-man forever. His artist depiction of Spider-man was slightly morbid and dark the way I think most people view the arachnid insect in real life.

Comparing really any of big 3 Spider-man artists is kind of unfair because honestly all three really come from different decades of the game.

Ditko= early SA

Romita Sr.= late SA to mid BA

McFarlane= Copper Age

That would be like comparing NFL QB's Johnny Unitas to Joe Montana, then to Peyton Manning which doesn't make sense. (shrug)

083.jpg

The most over rated artist in the history of comics is Steve Ditko. :eyeroll:

John Romita Sr. is the #1 Spider-man ARTIST for the Silver-age and Bronze Age with no one even close. His covers are so amazingly detailed and rich with bright colors, and his constant involvement with his fans over the years is also a plus. A very nice man indeed. (thumbs u

Ditko= early SA

Romita Sr.= late SA to mid BA

McFarlane= Copper Age

That would be like comparing NFL QB's Johnny Unitas to Joe Montana, then to Peyton Manning which doesn't make sense. (shrug)

Romita’s covers were great, but unless I’m misunderstanding your post, he (and other pencillers and/or inkers) didn’t have anything to do with coloring. Most likely that would have been Stan Goldberg, Marie Severin or Sol Brodksy.

I’m no fan of McFarlane, but I agree that comparing those 3 artists doesn’t make much sense.