• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am starting to feel the love for Romita Spidey

99 posts in this topic

I started out my collection as a concrete, staunch Ditko Spidey guy.

But as I have filled in my open slots, I have begun to understand the love people have for Romita. The artwork is different but it has slowly become who Spider-Man is to me. I think the stories improved and the artwork, although different, still has it's merits.

I can't believe that nearly 45 years have past since the change and I am still pondering this...

I have always been a Ditko over Romita fan. But I respected Romita for the way in which he respected the Ditko Spider-Man. His earliest work echoed Ditko's panel construction and inking style as best he could within his own style.

And Romita was a masterful cover artist, something that Ditko, for all his story-telling genius, always had difficulty with --- especially cover backgrounds.

I've posted these excerpts before but what an interesting contrast in style.

Steve Ditko introducing Gwen in ASM 31.

Gwen.jpg

John Romita introducing Mary Jane in ASM 42.

MaryJane.jpg

But as I have filled in my open slots, I have begun to understand the love people have for Romita. The artwork is different but it has slowly become who Spider-Man is to me.

Romita is quintessential Spidey for me. Always has been. I like Ditko's Spidey. I LOVE Romita's Spidey.

Romita is quintessential Spidey for me. Always has been. I like Ditko's Spidey. I LOVE Romita's Spidey.

Agree 1000000%. Romita particularly draws women well, Ditko's look a little awkward because of the thick lines he uses to draw facial features. Romita draws soft curves really, really well. :cloud9:

But as I have filled in my open slots, I have begun to understand the love people have for Romita. The artwork is different but it has slowly become who Spider-Man is to me.

I've always loved them both and think that both Ditko and Romita really represented different eras of the character. Ditko's style was great for Spidey as an inexperienced beginner, while with Romita he starts to get a bit more confidence and really starts growing into the role of superhero. When I close my eyes and picture Spidey, though, I have to admit that it is a Romita Spidey.

And speaking of Romita, this was my wedding present from my ever-patient wife (scale is tough in a photo, but the sketch is about 11 inches in total height on a blank comic page):

MJ.jpg

If I had to narrow down Spider-Man to just one artist, Romita gets Spidey, and Ditko goes to Dr. Strange. Steve Ditko and Stan developed Spidey to such a point that the artist could sort of get out of the way. When I read a Ditko story, I'm always conscious of the art. With Romita, I'm more aware of the story. I think Stan put more into his side of things when working with Romita.

That said, you've got to love Amazing Spider-Man 1 thru 15's villains!

Mcfarlanes art always bothered me, never really liked anything he did.

At the time, I was as big a McFarlane fan as there was, but now I find his work highly irritating and I wonder why I liked it so much back in those days.

:applause:

To me, there's no comparison.

So who's #2 after this guy???Picture096.jpg

When I bought my copy of #298 off the rack my first thought was that Spidey's webs looked ridiculous. I have always hated the McFarlane webs, and always hated that his eyes eventually took over the whole mask. Other aspects of McFarlane's art is ok, but nowhere near Ditko or Romita.

Ditto, John Romita was the best at Spider-Man. I've liked many of the others, but most have odd quirks that don't look right, like the McFarland webs and Spidey eyes, as mentioned before.

I love both Ditko and Romita (McFarlane too) but for me I would have to pick Ditko. I think a lot of it has to do with those first 38 issues just having so much impact on me when I started collecting and reading the Tales in Marvel Tales. Those first issues introduced so many of my favorite villians, starting collecting in the late 80's reading ASM all I wanted to do was go back and read the original issues featuring the villians I liked so much....and where did I find them? In those original Ditko issues! (well reprints)

I love Romita too but Ditko holds a special place in my heart. :cloud9: I liked Ron Frenz a bunch too when I started collecting, maybe that has a lot to do with those issues being available and affordable to me when I started collecting. (and great story telling!)

But really what got me into Spidey comics is ASM #316, I had just got done being pissed off at a local drug store arcade game and had 75 cents left I saw #316 on the spinner rack and that cover grabbed me good.

Shortly after that I found a local comic shop, created a pull list and hunted down as many ASM back issues I could find!! The first comics on my pull list were ASM, Web of, Spect. Spidey and G.I.Joe! After that I started getting about every Marvel I could! :headbang: