• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Pedigree of a Pedigree Possible?

59 posts in this topic

Not only that but if you look at Don Rosa labels, the "Don Rosa Collection" is placed on the right side of the label where the pedigree notation typically goes. Collections such as Nick Cage and Manarino are centered on the label under the comic title.

I consider it a collection as the only books included are the Bronze ones. The Silver portion is not all original owner and still resides with Don, if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct but regardless of what you consider it to be, CGC considers it a pedigree (shrug)

I was told the presence of the word 'Collection' distinguishes it from a Pedigree.

The Pedigree names do not say pedigree or collection, ie Mass, Green River, etc.

You may be right about the physical placement being the same location as a pedigree but that alone does not indicate pedigree. Trust me, we argued this in another post a while back and I checked. I believe I contacted Eric but I'm not sure.

Not only that but if you look at Don Rosa labels, the "Don Rosa Collection" is placed on the right side of the label where the pedigree notation typically goes. Collections such as Nick Cage and Manarino are centered on the label under the comic title.

I consider it a collection as the only books included are the Bronze ones. The Silver portion is not all original owner and still resides with Don, if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct but regardless of what you consider it to be, CGC considers it a pedigree (shrug)

That's fine. It kind of falls into the same category as "buy the book, not the label."

Wow does not go off in a tirade even when right. A true southern gentlemen. (worship)

What would be the point? Chris isn't a twit and he has a valid opinion. I just don't agree with it.

So the Mile High Pedigree is an exception to the rule. Strange, considering that's THE pedigree.

The Mile High collection helped to form the rule. The MH collection is the first and best of the best therefore the rule may not apply. Everything after the MH collection is just trying to catch up and equal its stature.

Congress does this all the time. They make rules and do not count themselves in the actual rule applications.....Lawyer speak.

It is interesting to know CGC's view on various pedigrees and collections, but it is the collecting community that has always carried the weight that can make or break a pedigree. Whether CGC considers the Don Rosa books a pedigree or a collection, in no way does it reach the standards for a pedigree set originally by the collecting community.

By the same token, it can be argued that the Oakland and Boston collections aren't pedigrees no matter how CGC designates them and no matter how nice they are, since they lack high grade early SA keys and so fall well short of the criterion for depth that has been at the heart of the pedigee designation among the community.

We hold the power. :sumo::headbang:

It is interesting to know CGC's view on various pedigrees and collections, but it is the collecting community that has always carried the weight that can make or break a pedigree. In other words, whether CGC considers the Don Rosa books a pedigree or a collection, in no way does it reach the standards for a pedigree set originally by the collecting community.

By the same token, it can be argued that the Oakland and Boston collections aren't pedigrees no matter how CGC designates them and no matter how nice they are, since they lack high grade early SA keys and so fall well short of the criterion for depth that has been at the heart of the pedigee designation among the community.

We hold the power. :sumo::headbang:

Do we as like.

And we haven't since the start of the decade, Bob. We here might be reasonably educated in all things comic, but a great chunk of people who insist on buy only CGC items are actually the most guillable and naive collectors imaginable.

Do we as like.

And we haven't since the start of the decade, Bob. We here might be reasonably educated in all things comic, but a great chunk of people who insist on buy only CGC items are actually the most guillable and naive collectors imaginable.

I don't think so. At least they are guaranteed some level of validity with a slab. Of course, I guess they could buy raw from Frank on eBay, as we all know we can take his word to the bank.

Does the fact that the collector included second hand books stop his collection from being a pedigree? Lets say i've spent the last fifty years buying books off the shelf and have every key since the silver age ect all preserved beyond imagination but I've realised I never collected Fantastic Four. I go in search of these books in High grade from previous owners and get a good run going. Does, by virtue of this change in focus, mean my great collection will never be considered a pedigree?

Yes.

No, my guess is that if the rest of the collection is OO and pedigree worthy, and there's good documentation and disclosure that the FFs were acquired second-hand, CGC might consider giving a pedigree to the OO part of the collection.

Do we as like.

I don't think so. At least they are guaranteed some level of validity with a slab. Of course, I guess they could buy raw from Frank on eBay, as we all know we can take his word to the bank.

Buying raw off a one specific scammer is hardly what we're talking about here.

We're talking about people who are not prepared, or not able, to grade, to check for restoration, to decide what is valuable or not, to do their own research.

CGC has become the WORD and along the way, something has got lost. :(

lfCA3V9OWS.jpg

I wonder if it was being with BATMAN that turned BATWOMAN in to a Lesbian? hm

I think it was an evil plot by a scorned Robin. Covers like this make me gag when I see the dynamic duo, what utter shyte.

Covers like this are what I love about Silver Age DCs - or at least a big part! :cloud9:

But to each his own, I guess. (thumbs u

Do we as like.

We're talking about people who are not prepared, or not able, to grade, to check for restoration, to decide what is valuable or not, to do their own research.

Speaking as one of those who are not able to check for resto my only response is so what ? Why does anyone hire a professional to do work, we all can't be experts in everything. CGC has the experience, the young eyes, and the equipment to

do a better job than I can.

Do we as like.

Speaking as one of those who are not able to check for resto my only response is so what ? Why does anyone hire a professional to do work, we all can't be experts in everything. CGC has the experience, the young eyes, and the equipment to

do a better job than I can.

Well, they do when it's a household necessity, I suppose.

But when it's a hobby?

Isn't a hobby something that you immerse yourself in? Isn't it something that is intensely personal? Isn't it something that you get to know everything you can about?

Farming out hobbies? hm Seems to defeat the object to me? (shrug)

Do we as like.

willis.jpg

I'm thinking after the Dr. Frank, I'm going to have to change my name doh!

Does the fact that the collector included second hand books stop his collection from being a pedigree? Lets say i've spent the last fifty years buying books off the shelf and have every key since the silver age ect all preserved beyond imagination but I've realised I never collected Fantastic Four. I go in search of these books in High grade from previous owners and get a good run going. Does, by virtue of this change in focus, mean my great collection will never be considered a pedigree?

Yes.

Then the Edgar Church and Curator collections aren't pedigrees.

I don't believe the hype of all off the newsstands. These guys were comic collectors. I'm sure some of them bought from other resources sometimes. Church did, why not others?

The Curator had an extensive Golden Age collection bought from comic book shops and conventions. Given the pristine condition that the Silver Age books are in, it deserves to be a pedigree.

However, I'm not sure CGC knew this when they first certified the books...it'd be interesting as to whether or not they'd still consider that collection a pedigree. If the material that's originally bought from the stands is of a high enough quality, it should be a pedigree.

How to have second hand books be part of a pedigree? That is easy. The

rule is that the second hand comics just have to have been purchased and

added to the collection before 1940.