• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Pedigree of a Pedigree Possible?

59 posts in this topic

Does the fact that the collector included second hand books stop his collection from being a pedigree? Lets say i've spent the last fifty years buying books off the shelf and have every key since the silver age ect all preserved beyond imagination but I've realised I never collected Fantastic Four. I go in search of these books in High grade from previous owners and get a good run going. Does, by virtue of this change in focus, mean my great collection will never be considered a pedigree?

Yes.

I don't see why the OO portions of this collection couldn't be a pedigree even though the other portions would not be... (shrug)

I wouldn't think you could seperate the collection into a good portion and bad portion. Wasn't the inability of the Don Rosa Collection to get pedigreed because of too many 2nd hand books ?

Not a good enough representation of HG early SA keys from my understanding.

Comics bought second hand cannot be counted as part of a Pedigree. The pedigree collections that those books came from were all original owner collections.

Don't you ever get tired of being Wrong! :makepoint:

Some of the Church books were bought second hand some of the earliest ones (Think Tec and Jumbo) and perhaps some of the later ones (Westerns and such) as well IIRC.

Point one. - somebody already posted these CGC guidelines...... "The collection must be original owner. This means that the books must have been bought off the newsstand as they came out. For example, a collector cannot buy a high-grade run of 1940s comics from various sources and expect it to be considered a pedigree. The original owner need not currently own the comics for the collection to be considered for pedigree status."

Point two - was the things about being tired of being wrong, serious?

Comics bought second hand cannot be counted as part of a Pedigree. The pedigree collections that those books came from were all original owner collections.

Some of the Church books were bought second hand some of the earliest ones (Think Tec and Jumbo) and perhaps some of the later ones (Westerns and such) as well IIRC.

Point one. - somebody already posted these CGC guidelines...... "The collection must be original owner. This means that the books must have been bought off the newsstand as they came out. For example, a collector cannot buy a high-grade run of 1940s comics from various sources and expect it to be considered a pedigree. The original owner need not currently own the comics for the collection to be considered for pedigree status."

Point one: Read my above post.

Point two: Only if you want it to be. (shrug):mad::sumo::baiting:

Point one - Fair enough, just explaining why I said it.

Point two - Yes, I want to be tired of being wrong. :slapfight:

I will teach you grasshopper.

I will teach you grasshopper.

My lesson is complete. :tonofbricks:

Part of the problem (if you want to call it that) with the Church books is that the "pedigree" status of the collection was established long before CGC. So, even though some of the books were purchased second hand, the general comic book collecting populace had already incorporated all of the books purchased by Mile High Chuck into the pedigree.

Does the fact that the collector included second hand books stop his collection from being a pedigree? Lets say i've spent the last fifty years buying books off the shelf and have every key since the silver age ect all preserved beyond imagination but I've realised I never collected Fantastic Four. I go in search of these books in High grade from previous owners and get a good run going. Does, by virtue of this change in focus, mean my great collection will never be considered a pedigree?

Yes.

I don't see why the OO portions of this collection couldn't be a pedigree even though the other portions would not be... (shrug)

I wouldn't think you could seperate the collection into a good portion and bad portion. Wasn't the inability of the Don Rosa Collection to get pedigreed because of too many 2nd hand books ?

Don Rosa IS a pedigree (thumbs u

Yes.

Collection. :gossip:

Yes.

Pedigree... I swear. Look at the recognized pedigrees on CGC's website. The confusion comes from the fact that it is called the Don Rosa Collection but it is a recognized pedigree by CGC.

Yes.

Pedigree... I swear. Look at the recognized pedigrees on CGC's website. The confusion comes from the fact that it is called the Don Rosa Collection but it is a recognized pedigree by CGC.

We've been down this road before. I even contacted CGC and they concurred it is a collection, not a pedigree. Big difference.

Yes.

We've been down this road before. I even contacted CGC and they concurred it is a collection, not a pedigree. Big difference.

Who did you talk to? Because they are contradicting themselves. http://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree.asp Don Rosa is listed as one of the recognized pedigrees. Look at the list.

Not only that but if you look at Don Rosa labels, the "Don Rosa Collection" is placed on the right side of the label where the pedigree notation typically goes. Collections such as Nick Cage and Manarino are centered on the label under the comic title.

Not only that but if you look at Don Rosa labels, the "Don Rosa Collection" is placed on the right side of the label where the pedigree notation typically goes. Collections such as Nick Cage and Manarino are centered on the label under the comic title.

I consider it a collection as the only books included are the Bronze ones. The Silver portion is not all original owner and still resides with Don, if I'm not mistaken.

I consider it a collection as the only books included are the Bronze ones. The Silver portion is not all original owner and still resides with Don, if I'm not mistaken.

I do believe you are correct.

You are correct but regardless of what you consider it to be, CGC considers it a pedigree (shrug)

You are correct but regardless of what you consider it to be, CGC considers it a pedigree (shrug)

That's fine. It kind of falls into the same category as "buy the book, not the label."

That's fine. It kind of falls into the same category as "buy the book, not the label."

Wow does not go off in a tirade even when right. A true southern gentlemen. (worship)