• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is selling here a privilege?

55 posts in this topic

I started a sale thread here when I had just a couple hundred posts. Not many sales but the ones that I did get I think went well. I do believe sales here are a privilege, but I don't think more posts makes someone more trustworthy. Several happy customers is the best way to gauge someones reliability. They could have 10,000 posts and their first sales thread could be a total disaster. They could have endless kudos on the buying end and still be a bad seller. New members are a little harder to trust, but we take a bit of a risk every time we buy from a new seller online. So far I have only had good results buying and selling on here (thumbs u

Sorry guys I am such a horrible speller. Have been all my life. If it wasn't for spell check in my word processor I never would have made it through college

lol - You are apologizing for a Pov spell check? Sorry - I needed a foray into silliness and you were the fodder, friend Trey. This whole List thing is giving me ajada.

Your posts far supersede any trifling spelling issues!

i am new to the boards. the same time i signed up i signed up to cgc and ran some books over to sarasota. in the last few days i have tried to sell a few things. i feel my prices have been fair but i have yet to sell anything. maybe its because i dont have a lot of posts on the boards. i have no idea. i guess the bottom line is that if you dont start with that first post or if you dont start with that first sale it is hard to get the second or third. i have been collecting comics for over 35 years. i buy and sell a lot of books when i say buy and sell a lot i mean hundreds of long and short boxes at a time. but i can understand how someone on these boards would be leary of dealing with a new board member. all of that said. i dont think you should have to earn the right to sell on these boards. your reputation will be earned one way or the other over time. that is what is important. just be up front and honest. thats all you can do.

I miss the star rating system here. :(

Just kidding, I don't miss it a bit. Though it was funny to see Cal battle for 5 star ratings on every one of his threads.

Sometimes I wonder if the loss of the Star Ratings system has made people more frustrated and prone to the torches and pitchforks due to a vent outlet being removed.

I'd love to see the star rating back. I would wear my one star with pride!

The star ratings were one of the reasons I don't post many new threads...

:insane:

Lazybones! You use the extinct star rating to justify your slackness! Slacker! Get thee GONE! :hi:

1. Old habits die hard, OogahBoogah.

2. No one wants to read the drivel I spew.

;)

OogahBoogah

He changed his name back to PovertyRow. :gossip:

I was never OogahBoogah nor OoglieBooglie or whatever the hell Dice calls me. But I am, have been, and always will be...PovertyRow. Regardless of whatever outward appearances may indicate.

To paraphrase Yaweh: Before the days of DiceX, I am.

OogahBoogah

I was never OogahBoogah nor OoglieBooglie or whatever the hell Dice calls me. But I am, have been, and always will be...PovertyRow. Regardless of whatever outward appearances may indicate.

To paraphrase Veruca Salt: Snozzberries? Who ever heard of a snozzberry?

OogahBoogah

To paraphrase Veruca Salt: Snozzberries? Who ever heard of a snozzberry?

Me Me!!!! I have heard of snozzberry!!!!!!!! Why, I heard of snozzberry only a short time ago! What a coincidence! (Life is chock full of surprizes!!!!!)

Trust is a big factor, so you might not get as good of prices if you just show up.

Also, knowing where to post sale threads helps (see: WaltT) :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, because we're all addicts that turn into drooling, slobbering, hopeless junkies when good books get posted . . . good books trump all :baiting::insane:

As referenced in my sig

:jokealert:

whether someone is an active boardie you think will try to be honest (or has the knowledge/experience to grade decently) to maintain his/her good standing /reputation here is something to factor in to the analysis of whether you buy, how much you're willing to pay, etc. etc. etc. when someone with 5 posts pops in and lays out a bunch of "nice" books with creative scans, then that is something you factor in. of course, some frequent posters have wound up not being so honest, so it's all a krap shoot. if you don't like the krap shoot, buy from the few folks you have absolute faith in or do all your purchases in person.

whether someone is an active boardie you think will try to be honest (or has the knowledge/experience to grade decently) to maintain his/her good standing /reputation here is something to factor in to the analysis of whether you buy, how much you're willing to pay, etc. etc. etc. when someone with 5 posts pops in and lays out a bunch of "nice" books with creative scans, then that is something you factor in. of course, some frequent posters have wound up not being so honest, so it's all a krap shoot. if you don't like the krap shoot, buy from the few folks you have absolute faith in or do all your purchases in person.

Seriously, I take a chance on new sellers every now and then, and I am generally disappointed - so I let them know about it and put them on my "fuggettaboutit" list. I buy from about 5 or 6 sellers on a routine basis, or from random sellers that I know from here know how to grade. Occasionally, I'll fall for one of the "hard-luck" stories and do my best to contribute. Most of the high-end sellers, I either can't afford their goods, or can't stand the heat of the competititon for their wares. :)

I've been here less than a year and have found a few select sellers i enjoy buying from. I've run a couple of sales threads of mostly just low value items. I don't post that often, I enjoy reading the threads more and just chime in here and there. I think the boards are "policed" enough where bad sellers are not around that long. With that being said I don't think selling should be a privilege because if you can't do it right you won't last long here (Unlike on eBay)