• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can pages be restored?

5 posts in this topic

Below is my copy of Superman 14. The book looks better than the grade. The problems are a detached centerfold at one staple and a stain that goes through the book. My question is: Does the inside of the book ever get restored? Is that why some books have married pages? Is this copy a poor book to restore since the cover seems to be better than the grade? Thanks.

superman14

superman14 back cover

It's not too uncommon for pages to be restored along with the cover. It all depends on necessity. The problems you described probably could be easily fixed. I'm guessing that a simple cleaning of the pages would probably take care of the staining and it shouldn't be too difficult to fix your detached centerfold. I would recommend emailing a restoration professional and explain your situation to them. They should be able to give you an idea of what extent of work you would be looking at as well as a general idea as to what it might cost.

The problems are a detached centerfold at one staple and a stain that goes through the book.

The detahced centerfold is cake for a restorer.

The stain? It absolutlely depends on what caused the stain. There are myriad solvents etc. for myriad stain-causers. In my opinion, a restorer should target that particular stain with the safest solvent prescribed for that stain. BUT - some stains just won't some out unless you want to remove the insks as well. And I highly recommend against "bleaching". Even a simple water wash can impact the cellulose fibres. "Bleach" can be anathema to paper. So take great pains to discuss with the restorer you choose. If they are reticent to discuss much, seek another restorer!