• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Illustration Auction

35 posts in this topic

In order to get a hold of that painting for your collection, you either have to have a large amount of cash or a large backhoe.

:baiting:

From the description, there seems to be some flaking. Anyone lucky enough to see this in person to determine if the condition issues are minor?

Cheers!

N.

yeah I think *everybody's* interested! the price tag is the spooning problem

I'm actually not a big fan of this one - I don't like the "8-pack" abs this guy has (and not that I'm in the market for one). A friend of mine I spoke to said he wouldn't pay this kind of money for a Frazetta that didn't have one of his women on it...I'm not that surprised it didn't meet reserve here. (shrug)

well... I know what you are saying but still its a peak period oil. Is the one that sold for $1m really worth 7x as much? not in my eyes so I view the pass as a disappointing result.

Now you'll probably say that the one that sold for $1m was a private sale, that one sale doesn't make a market.. yada yada... and I agree. But I still think its disappointing given today's comparables at 150k :)

With all the great stuff Heritage has been unloading this past year, money is getting tight?

Would it have found more buyers in a signature comic auction perhaps? I really only found a few things of interest in this particular catalogue, and none in my budget. Might not have made a difference but I wonder if the comic people are watching the illo auctions.

Some things were soft, but the Elvgrens did well. $160,000 ($191,200) for the woman on the bear rug, and $110,000 ($131,450) for the woman with the slot machine.

I didn't feel that any of the Elvgrens sold for particularly strong prices relative to recent auctions. "Bear Facts" should definitely have sold for $250K+ and set a new record for the artist. There are third-rate Elvgrens that have sold for as much within the last year, so that is not an impressive result at all for what is unquestionably the most iconic Elvgren that Heritage has auctioned to date. As for the woman with a slot machine, I think it is overvalued at $131K, but, again, that is less than what comparable pieces have sold for recently. (shrug)

OK I didn't realize the bear rug painting was particularly iconic. In looking at the Heritage archives, Heritage has sold five Elvgrens, other than the bear rug painting, that have hit the $191K level or higher.

There was a thread on here not long ago about what characteristics make Elvgren paintings more desireable, but I still can't for the life of me judge them.

Bare Facts was used on one of the editions of the Martignette/Meisel tomb The Great American Pin-up. It was also used as a poster for the old Norse Gallery.

For me, what makes a great Elvgren is that it features a woman in garters and stocking. Not fond of profiles (which would downgrade the slot machine piece for me), and that their come from a specific era. Background is better than no background, and the girl, or course, has to be cute.

I think red heads do the best, followed by brunette and then blondes.

Just my 2 cents.

Alex

Jeez the st. johns passed too! the session's not doing too well when four of the premiere items pass.

The reserves on the St Johns were simply too high.

The Tarzan piece was never published.

I was the only bidder on the Shining Armor piece, which was not one of his better pieces, but I wasn`t going up to the requested reserve price.