• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Illustration Auction

35 posts in this topic

I should also add that "I Hope He Mrs. Me" was another Elvgren re-sale, selling for $65,725 vs. $53.775 three years ago. Assuming the seller paid zero seller's commission on the re-sale, he would have gotten $55,000 and thus only broke even for his efforts.

I have been a serious bidder on several Elvgrens in recent Heritage auctions (but haven't won one yet outside of the one several years ago at Mastronet), but I haven't been able to bring myself to bid more than $150K on any piece as I am skeptical that prices above that level will be sustained in the long-run. It is not reassuring at all to see that several Elvgrens have been re-sold at near break-even or even at outright losses (witness the Spring 2009 sales). And, I'm pretty sure that some of the wackier Elvgren prices paid in the past couple of years would fetch far lower prices if they were to be resold now as well. :sorry:

well it doesn't help that there are five to ten every single auction. somebody somewhere that is connected to heritage has a whole pile of them I should think (before even considering the martignette ones). I'd be wary about paying too much too in light of all the apparent supply although others that know more about what elvgrens are out there may be in a better position to judge

I thought this Rolf Armstrong was a beauty - Would like to have had it at half the price ..............

http://fineart.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7015&Lot_No=87316#

Just yesterday a friend was in from out of town and I was showing him my Armstrong (which I've had for about 20+ years) and I remarked to him that I was offered $45k a few years back & did not sell (no interest in doing so). I also said that it was unlikely I could get there again anytime soon.

well I am suprised and if you go to my CAF, you can see it.. It's pretty close in design to the one they sold

I thought this Rolf Armstrong was a beauty - Would like to have had it at half the price ..............

http://fineart.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7015&Lot_No=87316#

Just yesterday a friend was in from out of town and I was showing him my Armstrong (which I've had for about 20+ years) and I remarked to him that I was offered $45k a few years back & did not sell (no interest in doing so). I also said that it was unlikely I could get there again anytime soon.

well I am suprised and if you go to my CAF, you can see it.. It's pretty close in design to the one they sold

That is a Honey of a piece - Jim

well... I know what you are saying but still its a peak period oil. Is the one that sold for $1m really worth 7x as much? not in my eyes so I view the pass as a disappointing result.

Now you'll probably say that the one that sold for $1m was a private sale, that one sale doesn't make a market.. yada yada... and I agree. But I still think its disappointing given today's comparables at 150k :)

I tried to plead my case as to Frazetta not being a million-dollar artist when the private sale occured and everyone just laughed at me.

Where are all the big spenders that think a million for Frazetta is reasonable that passed on $150k?

(shrug)

well... I know what you are saying but still its a peak period oil. Is the one that sold for $1m really worth 7x as much? not in my eyes so I view the pass as a disappointing result.

Now you'll probably say that the one that sold for $1m was a private sale, that one sale doesn't make a market.. yada yada... and I agree. But I still think its disappointing given today's comparables at 150k :)

I tried to plead my case as to Frazetta not being a million-dollar artist when the private sale occured and everyone just laughed at me.

Where are all the big spenders that think a million for Frazetta is reasonable that passed on $150k?

(shrug)

Just because one piece by an artist sells for a million doesn't mean that EVERY piece by an artist is a million. Conversely, just because one piece passes at $150k doesn't mean some of his pieces aren't worth $1million.