• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling burntboy - Grade my Hulk 1 (Big Scans)

30 posts in this topic

Brian

5.0!?!? What happened to "Based on the mid-grade copies I've seen of this book (very ugly F+'s), they'll probably give this one a gift grade of something like 8.5-9.0."? confused-smiley-013.gif

The envelope please...(pause...shoot glances towards the crowd...) grin.gif

hulk1label.jpg

If it wasn't for the tear in the middle of the book, I would probably give it a 7.0-7.5. But with the tear I'm going to guess 6.0.

I got it right, I got it right!!!!!! acclaim.gif

Nice book with great page quality. Definitely worth the $1K you paid for the book.

I believe the book got a 6.0 because of the 1/4" rule. I'm sure I've read this in Overstreet somewhere, but if you cut 1/4" away from all sides of a book and then the book looked perfect, the book could still be a VF or better (even if there is significant wear around the edges).

Basically, what that means is defects, be it long spine creases or corner creases and in this case a tear in the middle of the book cross the 1/4" border and therefore is NOT considered NORMAL READING and STORAGE wear.

That's why

I got it right, I got it right!!!!!! acclaim.gif

Nice book with great page quality. Definitely worth the $1K you paid for the book.

I believe the book got a 6.0 because of the 1/4" rule. I'm sure I've read this in Overstreet somewhere, but if you cut 1/4" away from all sides of a book and then the book looked perfect, the book could still be a VF or better (even if there is significant wear around the edges).

Basically, what that means is defects, be it long spine creases or corner creases and in this case a tear in the middle of the book cross the 1/4" border and therefore is NOT considered NORMAL READING and STORAGE wear.

That's why

Congrats! Never heard of the 1/4" rule, but it generally makes sense. You were the low estimate (except for Murph's change of heart taking it from a 9.0 to a 5.0 893scratchchin-thumb.gif) and while hoping for a "gift", I was thinking 6.0-6.5 and as I predicted, the book was identified as having white pages. With no MC or pre-MC, great color, and nice centering, this is the last upgrade I need for this book. Bought my first copy back in '91 for $90, and upgraded one other time before getting this one.

Anyone think I should try to trade it for that DD 131 9.8!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyone think I should try to trade it for that DD 131 9.8!?!?

You probably will have to put some cash in, but it might be worth it!!! 893whatthe.gif

Just kidding.

Be proud of the Hulk #1, that's a great book and issue I'm look for.

And the White pages and the clean overhang make it really much nicer than the actual grade.

Brian

5.0!?!? What happened to "Based on the mid-grade copies I've seen of this book (very ugly F+'s), they'll probably give this one a gift grade of something like 8.5-9.0."? confused-smiley-013.gif

The envelope please...(pause...shoot glances towards the crowd...) grin.gif

hulk1label.jpg

yeh - you faked me out with that story and the 9.4/9.6 reference. still looks like a 7.0 to me, but you gotta go with the experts who have book-in-hand. but, i love it regardless of grade. i discovered a tear on mine across the entire back page shocked.gif, so i'll just have to keep it forever or maybe consider restoration frown.gif

look for Gman's unslabbed ASM# 13 (well, mine actually) shortly in this forum. and since he wants one bad boost up the rating!!! devil.gif

You didn't tell us it was a tear before.. I assumed it was a tear in the mylar frown.gif

Brian

Uh, on the old thread it was described as "...a small V-shaped tear around banner's waste..."? confused-smiley-013.gif

Perhaps my spelling mistake through you off!! 27_laughing.gif

shrug, I usually skip over the semantics of most of these threads and just look at the book. Ppl's "talking up" of a book can mess up a grade.

Brian

893naughty-thumb.gif