• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling burntboy - Grade my Hulk 1 (Big Scans)

30 posts in this topic

Well, I broke down and joined the CS to get this book graded, along with two others that I had some suspicions 'bout resto on (but I'll save those stories for another day 893whatthe.gif). If you care to read it, here's a previous thread about the shipping horror story with this book, and a bit of grading discussion as well.

Okay...spine stress as seen in the scan, a small V-shaped tear/ding around banner's waste, clean back cover, WHITE pages, no marvel chipping or pre-marvel chipping tears. Top, right, and bottom edges pretty much impeccable, although there are a couple tiny (<1/16") edge tears along the top edge where the cover overhangs the interior. Whatcha think?

hulk1.jpg

hulk1backsmall.jpg

OK - it's a BEAUTY for sure, but were you serious when you referred to it in the linked thread as a 9.4 - 9.6??? (see how everyone becomes so very kind to the book when it's theirs????). grin.gif

the little tears that you reference (couldn't even see them in the scan), the dozen spine stresses, the ever so slightly rounded ulc, the tear by Dr Banners waist (that's a biggie), the spine stresses on the back and some light soiling/aging to the white BC, all add up to about a 7.0 - 8.0, IMHO. probably on the higher side if it really has WHITE pages 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i still think it's lovely and kicks the arse of my #1 all over the place. but that tear on the front cover is quite visible, and i have to believe that it got dinged for that and the multiple stress marks - let the flaming begin devil.gif

god - going first is quite intimidating!!!!!!!

Calling Dr. Banner.... flowerred.gif

As you know, this issue is notoriously hard to find in high grade.

That said, despite its flaws, it's still a gem and a keeper. I'd love to have it in my collection any day (and hopefully one day soon).

I give it......drum roll......FN+ 6.5. Grading Gods permitting maybe a 7.0... I'm a little concerned that a couple of corners look too sharp... 893whatthe.gif

Good luck with the grading--let us know the final outcome. Sorry about your pain and anguish--I guess ya aint a true collector unless you have at least a dozen or so stories like that... sorry.gif

With that, I have a dream... cloud9.gif

OK - it's a BEAUTY for sure, but were you serious when you referred to it in the linked thread as a 9.4 - 9.6??? (see how everyone becomes so very kind to the book when it's theirs????). grin.gif

Nah...that was a joke. I was referring to the fact that when I opened the envelope, the cardboard itself was still in great shape with no dings, dents, or water damage "...the flimsy cardboard sandwich inside is a solid 9.4 (maybe 9.6!)...". I believe the seller described the book as "looks like a VF, except for the tear".

Thanks for going 1st though...always tough to be the first to whip it out! 27_laughing.gif

I believe the seller described the book as "looks like a VF, except for the tear

I agree with the seller's statement.

So now it comes down to how much do they downgrade the book for the tear in the middle of the book.

Maybe not as much as I think.

Banner, WTF is the grade?

I'll give it another day before revealing the "final answer"...but if I have the scans ready, my FF 1 will be up for grading shortly!! thumbsup2.gif

Banner is the tear at his waist go stright through the paper or is it more of a loss flake with paper still under it?

Definitely a tear...grade to be revealed in the am, get your guesses in and win a no-prize!! thumbsup2.gif