• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A serious question about bidding etiquette.........

25 posts in this topic

That's right! It had slipped my mind. As it turned out the bidding got too high for both of us. But I wasn't the guy you were really going up against.

It want wallstreetrebel was it Redhook?

You mean Wallstreetrebel might overbid on something ? naw not Wallstreetrebel

27_laughing.gif, I run away when I see hes bidding on an auction, I run hide under my bed and turn off the computer.

He has crazy money...

Are you on the board wallstreet?.. come out come out...

rebel.jpg

sign-funnypost.gif

to be honest, everyone on eBay were 'strangers' before being a somewhat regular on the boards. I feel safer about bidding from folks here (I've seen flying donut and greggy's auctions as of late). I don't intentionally try to outbid others here (as I usually snipe), but if I want a book, I'll definitely bid on it. That's DC/Marvel Bronze Horror right now...

I don't pay any attention to who is bidding on an item if I want it. I generally look after the auction is over. Most of the stuff I buy I am not competing with forum members anyway.

As for Bonds......it is easy to spot the items he really wants as he will bid more than $50 for it.

OK, Devil's Advocate here.

Most board members can get pretty uptight when defending what they see as their rights as bidders/buyers. Overpaying on shipping by a dollar or two is seen as a serious offence and woe betide anyone trying to charge an extra couple of percent to cover Paypal fees. But, you all seem happy to condone a cartel when it comes to bidding against each other, which must surely be against e-bay rules, if not illegal.

Does this seem a little two-faced to you ? And a question for the sellers out there - how would you feel if board members divided your auctions up behind the scenes and stopped you getting fair market value for your books ?

There is already a variant cartel of sorts devil.gif AS a seller, I wouldn't be thrilled about it however it works for me as a buyer. The tradeoff though helps compensate the diference. I would rather deal with a forum member who I know and can be talked into buying a side item I also have but not listed and enticeing them for repeat business as opposed to the one shot buyer who was willing to spend $10 more than the rest... as buyers, it makes little sense to drive prices up on guys you know. But it can back fire too.

Let's say I pass on a variant book because someone asked me to, but then ended up losing in the end because they didn't bid high enough or as high as you would have gone foreheadslap.gif

I think I've done that to buena_vista on some Jungle Action variants in the past because my snipe didn't go through or I forgot to set it tongue.gif