• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beware monsterscollectibles on Ebay.

73 posts in this topic

I'm not going to comment on PGX's intentions or business model.

I will say that there are a lot of honest people that use PGX. I was one of them. When I joined the boards I was new to slabbing and defended PGX. Cheaper costs, quick turn around times, strong holder. That said they combination of discussions against them and poor grading resto results (along with a few other things) are starting to wear their image down.

Let's be realistic, everyone makes mistakes. CGC misses resto on books. I've had a couple that came out of blue holders that ended up in purple holders second time around. It was simply missed the first time around. Easy as that.

Let's not paint every person who has come into contact with a PGX holder as leprous.

Rule #1 : GOLDEN-AGE PGX slabbed books = Reciepe for disaster. AVOID!

One of the things I like about this thread is the lack of sweeping generalizations.

Or they use PGX because of a "pissing contest" over Pedigree destinction.

Having heard 2 sides of the Diamond run story frankly I can see why Joe will not use CGC and why CGC did what they felt had to be done.

That being said frankly I do not hold the belief like I'm reading on these boards that every book in a PGX holder is suspect.

What has it come to when Blazing Bob is the voice of moderation and reason? It must be "Good Bob" day.

Not 100% sure what your comment means,but i as a person that cracks Pgx silver-age slabs on a regular basis,and consistantly get higher CGC grades,i'm pretty sure my reply is far from a "sweeping generalization" as i've followed a pretty large # of Golden-age Pgx books that have been de-slabbed as well,and then sent to cgc.

EVERY single one that i have followed,or know of,including several from G.A.t.o.r,have all come back lower in grade and/or with resto. ALL were failures.

Think my "sweeping generalization" stands pretty solid ground.

AVOID PGX GOLDEN-AGE BOOKS.

My Superman #4 which is a CGC 6.5 was originally a PGX 5.0. No restoration.

Would you mind explaining the thought process behind submitting a CGC 6.5 GA book to PGX? Even with a grade bumb, wouldn't a PGx 7.0 sell for less than a CGC 6.5?

Would you mind explaining the thought process behind submitting a CGC 6.5 GA book to PGX? Even with a grade bumb, wouldn't a PGx 7.0 sell for less than a CGC 6.5?

I think you have it backwards.

I think you have it backwards.

Yep...he bought a PGX 5.0 and submitted it to CGC. It came back a 6.5

Frankly this thread reminds me of the Jason Ewert High grade thread. Hmm, didn't that thread start with a book that was sold to me by Jason.

What started creeping into the thread.

Oh yeah.

Every CGC high grade book is trimmed, don't buy CGC high grade.

Substiture every PGX book is restored, don't buy PGX books.

Sorry, feels the same to me.

really?

sounds more like people just expressing views about the subject.

As stated before,my thoughts are avoid PGX golden-age..

Yet i purchase as many high grade Pgx silver-age book as i can for cgc re-subs.

So i'm far from close minded about PGX,just smart enough to know what to avoid,on an everyday normal basis.

Doesn't mean that there aren't exceptions to either of my view points,just enough experience in the matter to have a pretty bias opinion.

so why is that you think they catch resto on SA but not GA? as for grading..obviously i have no idea, but really, PGX is looser than CGC on GA??? is that possible?

The sellers who use PGX are usually just hiding restoration as no one in their right mind would use it simply because it's faster.

It's well known that CGC books sell for A LOT more freakin money! That's why I never understand a dealer that uses PGX.

Think of it this way.

No one...with the possible exception of Todd Lange...can sell raw books for anywhere near what a slabbed book will on eBay.

This is especially true of 1975-up books. An Amazing Spiderman #300 in CGC 9.6 might sell for about $200. A raw copy isn't gonna sell for more than $80 or so. But a PGX copy, what would grade 9.6 at CGC could very easily grade 9.8 at PGX...or even a 9.9!

That PGX 9.8 copy would sell for about $400. So, the easy grading and the lower fees definitely make it more attractive.

(Of course, the same argument can be made for pre-screening at CGC....the argument isn't without problems. ;) )

I thought I have read a lot of higher grade books get a grade bump if you crack a PGX and submit it to CGC, not the other way around. Of course you take a chance of it coming back PLOD as well.

Bruce

Not with modern books.

Shadowman #0 is a perfect example. There are 11 copies on PGX's (hideously inaccurate) census.

1 is a 9.4, 3 are 9.8s...and 7 are 9.9s.

Really?

Seriously?

63% of all the copies graded are 9.9s?

Yes, there are certainly examples (hence my caveat), whereby books that received lower grades at PGX received higher grades at CGC.

Frankly this thread reminds me of the Jason Ewert High grade thread. Hmm, didn't that thread start with a book that was sold to me by Jason.

What started creeping into the thread.

Oh yeah.

Every CGC high grade book is trimmed, don't buy CGC high grade.

Substiture every PGX book is restored, don't buy PGX books.

Sorry, feels the same to me.

really?

sounds more like people just expressing views about the subject.

As stated before,my thoughts are avoid PGX golden-age..

Yet i purchase as many high grade Pgx silver-age book as i can for cgc re-subs.

So i'm far from close minded about PGX,just smart enough to know what to avoid,on an everyday normal basis.

Doesn't mean that there aren't exceptions to either of my view points,just enough experience in the matter to have a pretty bias opinion.

so why is that you think they catch resto on SA but not GA? as for grading..obviously i have no idea, but really, PGX is looser than CGC on GA??? is that possible?

Don't have an answer for that.Just know i avoid the pgx golden stuff...and have had great luck with high grade silver only.NO low grade stuff at all..they overgrade the stuff like 7.0 and under

pgx has the three blind mice doing their "resto detection".

PGX's grading is based on the PGX Grading Standards developed by PGX and the opinions of the PGX Grading Team and does not guarantee complete acceptance. A restoration check is made on every book that comes through PGX. Every effort is made to detect restoration, but we do not guarantee this process or the result.

I was wondering where the "PGX team" came from.

Thanks for shedding light on that for me.

But does he go over all sixty brazillion books they slab each year, or does he only examine books called to his attention?

Besides, isn't he involved in that side business of theirs now? I thought Steve B had taken off as chief restoration expert?

I've been out of the loop and am not current on what goes on down there.

The first 6 months we were open (and the year before that), I was the resto guy. Begged Friesen to come on board because it was too much for me & Haspel.

Litch, became amazing at resto detection during that 1st year, working with the three of us.

If I am correct, Friesen still checks all econs, standards, ex, wk-thru's. The graders are all trained in resto detection.

Friesen, Haspel, & Litch, are amazing at detection. I would put any of them against anyone one else in the hobby.

pgx has the three blind mice doing their "resto detection".

What he said..... :sumo: