• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Frazetta SS appreciation thread!

81 posts in this topic

For all of you who have been on the fence or thought "I'll wait until next time" for one of Sean's or Chandler's signings with the masters/legends, this should be a wakeup call that these guys are old and only getting older and won't live forever. If you have any desire to get a book from your collection or to pick up a book to be signed by one of these guys, don't hesitate. Just do it. You may not get another opportunity.

Too true, sometimes i think we assume that these oppurtunities will keep happening so long as great facilitators are around but nature does have its own agenda so lets hope this year is a big year for Sig series from the pioneers of the industry

For all of you who have been on the fence or thought "I'll wait until next time" for one of Sean's or Chandler's signings with the masters/legends, this should be a wakeup call that these guys are old and only getting older and won't live forever. If you have any desire to get a book from your collection or to pick up a book to be signed by one of these guys, don't hesitate. Just do it. You may not get another opportunity.

+1,000,000,000

This doesn't just go for the older legends. I always thought there would be plenty of time for Marshall Rogers, Mike Wieringo and Dave Stevens, too. I was wrong. Get the greats while you can.

I've been after a Frazetta for months :( and now I guess it'll never happen. I really can't believe he's passed away, it's a sad day for us. If anybody has a spare Frazetta SS, maybe we could work something out.

Well, I am sitting here rather remorseful today remembering Mr. Frazetta. I have been watching movies, and looking at artwork.

As collectors Chris and I were fortunate enough to get two books from the first Frazetta signing.

THANK YOU SO MUCH BRIAN!

I am embarrassed to say that prior to Brian's first signing with Mr. Frazetta I did not actually realize who he was. Chris and I are sort of younger newer comic fans who are very heavy into the Marvel spectrum end of things. This was a hobby we became interested in about 5 or 6 years ago and we have been learning ever since. Both of us are 26 and all of these books existed before we were even born.

I am honored to have had two signings with The Frazettas. Each time was an amazing experience that I will carry with me for a long time. Along the way I have made a lot of great friends and fellow collectors from these two signings specifically. If it were not for Signature Series and these boards I would not have pursued any of this and shudder to think of what I might of missed......

That being said....let's get some books up people!

To The Master, Frank Frazetta RIP

363257238_o.jpg

Much like Sean, when the first Frazetta SS opportunity came around, I really didn't think much of it. While I'm about 20 years older than Sean, the only thing I remembered Frazetta doing was Shining Knight for DC (how weird is that--I knew one of his earlier works, well before I was born, but wasn't familiar with all the fantastic covers he did). But such a big deal was made about the signing that I figured I should take up the offer I had for a slot. When I was told the price, my first question was whether it included a book to be signed as well. After all, at the time, Stan was only charging $70 for moderns, and that was the top of the heap for SS. I asked around for some good choices, and settled upon Thunda #1 or Vampirella #1. I looked on eBay and found a pretty high grade CGC copy of Thunda #1, but thought the price was too high (in hindsight, it was a really good deal). I turned my attention to Vampirella #1, but like the Thunda #1, I thought graded copies were too high. Then I stumbled upon an ungraded "VF" copy of Vampirella #1 in an eBay store, and decided to take the plunge. I got it in just in time for the NYCC and got Neal Adams to sign it there, and then had it held for the master.

Once the book was signed, it seemed to take forever to get the grade back. I was seeing plenty of other Frazetta books, but no word on mine. Then, somehow an image of my book leaked out before I even got it, and it created quite a stir. My jaw almost dropped when I saw the grade--9.4, the highest graded copy, SS or otherwise, tied with two other blue label copies.

Sadly, I no longer have this book, but I know it has a good home. I think the current owner has posted it on the boards before, but just in case he hasn't, I'll let him speak up if he wants to remind everbody.

vampirella_1_ss94_copy.jpg

Beautiful Books!

It's really sad to hear the news that Frank passed away. Frazetta is one of my favorites.

I've been looking for a nice SS book signed by Mr. Frazetta, and have a feeling I may never own one now. :(