• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,507 posts in this topic

Two recent additions to the collection.

The Daredevil #5 (December 1964) is courtesy of Flaming Telepath. I used to own a copy of this book as a kid.

It was the earliest superhero book that I had back in 1970. The yellow and black Daredevil seemed to be from another era.

Of course, Daredevil was never really a superhero per se ... he had enhanced senses to compensate for blindness

but his physical strength was of the same nature as Batman... years of training.

This perhaps explains the rather pedestrian nature of some of his villains.

The Matador was pretty good with a cape and his superpower was apparently his overweening ego.

But how can you fault any issue with Wallace Wood art?

DD5FDec64.jpg

This Strange Tales #140 (January 1966) is a very recent purchase from Namisgr. It's from the Bowling Green pedigree -- a CGC 9.0W.

I've never been a great fan of Fury, the superspy -- I guess mainly because he always seemed to be a Tarzan in New York -- never quite the right fit.

Besides, Hydra was a fairly ridiculous enemy.

But Ditko's Doctor Strange was a masterpiece from this period.

This issue has the particularly famous episode where Strange is on the verge of defeating Dormammu in hand to hand combat,

only to be struck from behind by a mystic lightening bolt from Baron Mordo.

The interior scan of the last page of the story is from a lesser copy of the book I had floating around.

ST140p10.jpg

ST140FJan66.jpg

Picked up today at Wizard World show in Toronto from Haganland Comics -- Fantastic Four #46, January 1966.

FF46FJan66.jpg

Kirby/Sinnott artwork and dialogue by Stan Lee. This book is a good example of Lee grabbing onto Kirby's coattails and hanging on for dear life.

I don't think that Lee was really confident in knowing where Kirby was going with the Inhumans.

This issue introduces the Seeker and it is a mystery whether he is an Inhuman or not.

His role is to return the escaped Inhumans (Black Bolt's family) to the Great Refuge for reasons unclear (probably also unclear to Lee at this point).

The storyline confusion is more a comment in hindsight, as the book is a great non-stop battlefest between the FF, the Inhumans and the Seeker,

with the Dragon Man thrown in for good measure. (thumbs u

So, I'm totally new to collecting CGC, but I'm off an running with my FF run. I would like to ultimately have 1-100 in CGC, but am after a complete run. Since starting only this month, I've narrowed my focus from the 1-100 to 1-50, with more interest in 1-25 for now. Although I did just pick up a 48 from eBay in 7.0 which will arrive next week.

For the time being these are my first four:

9 in 7.0, once I determined that I could live with the 7.0 grade, I went after this one, especially to get the need for a single digit issue out of my system. And it does not disappoint!

5551195496_c90b43f8b2.jpg

13 in 7.0, very pleased with this one, from the board!

5551201112_29cf3af718.jpg

59 in 9.4, from a fellow board member, but before I found the board I guess. My first one!

5551211210_5d2759cab8.jpg

82 in 9.4, learned from this one to read the labels more carefully, because this one is cream to off white, and I think I would like to stay in the ow/w range...

5551214824_5e119752ba.jpg

Two recent additions to the collection.

The Daredevil #5 (December 1964) is courtesy of Flaming Telepath. I used to own a copy of this book as a kid.

It was the earliest superhero book that I had back in 1970. The yellow and black Daredevil seemed to be from another era.

Of course, Daredevil was never really a superhero per se ... he had enhanced senses to compensate for blindness

but his physical strength was of the same nature as Batman... years of training.

This perhaps explains the rather pedestrian nature of some of his villains.

The Matador was pretty good with a cape and his superpower was apparently his overweening ego.

But how can you fault any issue with Wallace Wood art?

DD5FDec64.jpg

Daredevil has always been my favourite character. The Miller fun got me started collecting when I was in 6th grade. I've always thought about trying to complete a nice HG early run of DD. Maybe one day.

Thank you! A little miswrap but not enough to bother me. I've missed out on 3 or 4 in the last few auctions with them going to high for me. This seems to be one of the few Avengers that still gets over GPA but I finally found one that went below GPA.

Thanks! Yeah, for the most part Avengers can be had for under GPA if not alltime GPA lows but there are still the various semi-key/semi-rare issues that command over GPA. The 71 still seems to be semi-key enough to get over GPA most of the time.

Anywho, heres 1 last book that was sitting on my doorstep today courtesy of namisgr :cloud9:

My Avengers run is finally becoming respectable other than the fact that i dont have ANY of the 1st 16 issues. From 17-184 though, i'm starting to look pretty good! lol

av20.jpg

Thanks! Yeah, for the most part Avengers can be had for under GPA if not alltime GPA lows but there are still the various semi-key/semi-rare issues that command over GPA. The 71 still seems to be semi-key enough to get over GPA most of the time.

Anywho, heres 1 last book that was sitting on my doorstep today courtesy of namisgr :cloud9:

My Avengers run is finally becoming respectable other than the fact that i dont have ANY of the 1st 16 issues. From 17-184 though, i'm starting to look pretty good! lol

av20.jpg

That is a beauty. I was going to pull the trigger, but was too slow on it. Really, really sweet book.