• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JUDGE DREDD movie. This is AWESOME!.

13 posts in this topic

From off of IGN

New Judge Dredd Movie Heating Up?

The comic book flick is said to be generating buzz at Cannes.

by Jim Vejvoda

May 10, 2010 - File this one under: Comic Book Movie Remake/Reboot You'd Never Expect to Create a Sensation Anywhere Let Alone at Cannes.

Deadline reports that the Cannes film festival is abuzz over DNA Films' proposed new Judge Dredd movie, which Reliance Big Entertainment will finance. The project was scripted by Alex Garland, the screenwriter of 28 Days Later and Sunshine but perhaps best known to gamers for penning the aborted Halo movie.

Pete Travis (Vantage Point) is attached to direct.

This Judge Dredd film promises to go back to the character's 2000AD comic book roots. The film's budget will reportedly be in the $50 million range.

Why would they be looking forward to this in Cannes? And only a $50 million budget? Will this be a origin story? And Why Alex Garland? I haven't seen 28 Days Later, but I did see sunshine and it was great till the final 20 minutes when it turned in to another stupid slasher flick. :P

I should be happy about this, but I'm still a tad worried we could get what we got last time.

Kick- budget was 50 million and and I liked it better than Ironman 2, so a good movie can be made with a 50 million dollar budget. Judge Dredd is by far one of my favorite characters and I am willing to bet they will use the Alan Moore Judge Dredd stuff for inspiration. (thumbs u

HOLY GRUD ON A GREENIE!

Now it's in 3-D!

http://www.comicvine.com/news/judge-dredd-may-return-to-film-in-3d/141112/

Contrary to popular belief, Judge Dredd is not a buddy cop book; however, that is what the 1995 feature film made it seem like. Judge Dredd is the law, but he doesn't need to yell it out. According to Deadline, Dredd will once again be hitting theaters sometime in the near future.

Andrew Macdonald’s DNA Films has made a deal with India-based Reliance Big Entertainment and IM Global to finance Judge Dredd, a 3D film that was scripted by Alex Garland, and will be directed by Pete Travis, best known for Vantage Point and Omagh.

Judge Dredd takes place in a future where not only can the police arrest you, but they can prosecute you on the spot, and even execute you if need be. Dredd isn't the only judge, but he is pretty much the coolest. (Although Judge Death is pretty cool too, even though he's from another dimension) Deadline also reported that the film will cost under $50 million to make. Is $50 million enough to make not only a good film, but a good film in 3D? Avatar cost $237 million to film, which was also in 3D, and it did look amazing, but can a $50 million budget not only make a good futuristic film WITH a great 3D feel? Yes, it may be possible.

Garland's best known for writing the novel The Beach, and scripting the Danny Boyle-directed scifi film Sunshine and 28 Days Later. He also wrote the -script for a movie version of the Microsoft game Halo that was scrapped by Universal and Fox.

Garland is a great sci-fi film writer. Sunshine and 28 Days Later are amazing films, so that definitely washes away any real worry I have about this film. Since things are still be passed around and ideas tossed in the air, there is no set release date, or date to start principal photography.

Now I'm hoping they (the producers) go the BATMAN BEGINS route with this movie.

Make the first one a origin story (The people at large have no clue to DREDD's origins or who he is so this would be a good place to start) Have it be about Dredd & Ricos rise within the Judge system and of course have Dredd deal with his brothers betrayal. The sequel would be a great place to explore the ''CURSED EARTH'' maybe adapt the 2TFruT storyline? (If you haven't read it you should)

And the third film would have to deal with Judge DEATH and his generals.

I'm just thinking out loud here.

I'd think 50 mil would be about the perfect amount to spend on a Judge D reboot. That means the film would have to pull in approx 80Mill in BO just to make any kind of profit. Pretty risky considering the publics known history of the source material.

3-D seems to be the fad now, one thing about fads is they all die... and they die fast and hard. By the time the movies done people could be tired of 3-D. I'd just shoot it reg and put the money saved into a great Cinematographer and set pieces.

Great screenwriter though - Im sure it will be well written. And most of the time, budget constraints lead to more creative solutions. I got my fingers crossed.

I'd think 50 mil would be about the perfect amount to spend on a Judge D reboot. That means the film would have to pull in approx 80Mill in BO just to make any kind of profit. Pretty risky considering the publics known history of the source material.

3-D seems to be the fad now, one thing about fads is they all die... and they die fast and hard. By the time the movies done people could be tired of 3-D. I'd just shoot it reg and put the money saved into a great Cinematographer and set pieces.

I Agree, SCRAP the FRIKEN 3-D ALREADY! Not every movie with 3-D is going to make AVATAR amounts of money you M0R0NS in Hollywood! :frustrated:

Great screenwriter though - Im sure it will be well written. And most of the time, budget constraints lead to more creative solutions. I got my fingers crossed.

So do I... :wishluck:

But I think it will all depend on the Director they get. Is Ridly Scott doing anything? (Oh ya, A L I E N 0) :P

I am certain it will contain far to many explosions and gattling guns / rocket launchers on the side of his motorcycle.

I will still see it, but I am going in with the expectations it will receive the full "hollywood" treatment

I am certain it will contain far to many explosions and gattling guns / rocket launchers on the side of his motorcycle.

I will still see it, but I am going in with the expectations it will receive the full "hollywood" treatment

I'm really hoping that won't be the end result.

1sm134plead.gif

Feast yer eyes on the promotinal poster circulating Cannes! :headbang:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/05/12/judge-dredd-movie-poster-circulating-

This is a Judge Dredd image by Tim Bradstreet that’s reportedly circulating Cannes as part of the current movie being pitched around the place. Could this be a mock up for a future movie poster?

Dreddpost.jpg

Remember I said $50 million was not enough for a Judge Dredd film?

That was because I thought this was going to be like the comic (Flying cars, Several Mile tall buildings etc) But this looks like it will be more ''down to earth'' realistic take on DREDD! look at the buildings in the background they look modern day. If this is the direction they are gunning for then this may be good.