• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

So the bottom line to all of this was what compensation should CGC have given bob over possibly popping a reinforced staple.

Knowing how much Steve loves confrontation I would have loved to have been dealing with Bob on this one.

Bob, it's restored.

Bob, it is restored

Bob, its restored.

Pick one

So the bottom line to all of this was what compensation should CGC have given bob over possibly popping a reinforced staple.

Knowing how much Steve loves confrontation I would have loved to have been dealing with Bob on this one.

Bob, it's restored.

Bob, it is restored

Bob, its restored.

Pick one

I think Richard mentioned earlier in the thread that Bob is rumored to have received $2000 credit in grading fees for the alleged popped staple.

I can not fathom how a person can live with such hatred, misery, and a constant need for attention. How does someone like this come to be a comic book collector?! I would think that a personality like this would be more prone to collecting vintage colonoscopes, thumbscrews, and vanity mirrors.

Bob, it's restored.

Bob, it is restored

Bob, its restored.

Pick one

lol

Presented without comment:

"Robert Beerbohm

8 hours ago ·

As one enters CGC HQ there is a glass enclosed conference room to the left. I was directed in to its confines. Therein then head grader Steve Borock, 2nd head dude Mark Haspiel, and 3rd honcho West Stephens all inspected the goods.

Mark & West were closely examining Jerry Bails' All Stars marveling at many of them. Oh, sez Mark, the #5 looks to be a Mile High Comics issue

Wow, they go, #6 is Tom "San Francisco" Reilly copy

Damn, #19 looks like it also is a Mile High.

Then they get to Jerry Bails All Star #8. They all stop, look at very very closely. Mark and West say to me it looks like it will come in as the "highest graded copy" they have ever seen.

So, there are a few errors here with Bob's memory. I would never look at a book though a mylar with a back board and tell a customer it would come in as the "highest graded copy" I have ever seen. What if the centerfold is missing, or the back cover has a coupon clipped out.

"Robert Beerbohm

8 hours ago ·

As one enters CGC HQ there is a glass enclosed conference room to the left. I was directed in to its confines. Therein then head grader Steve Borock, 2nd head dude Mark Haspiel, and 3rd honcho West Stephens all inspected the goods.

Mark & West were closely examining Jerry Bails' All Stars marveling at many of them. Oh, sez Mark, the #5 looks to be a Mile High Comics issue

Then they get to Jerry Bails All Star #8. They all stop, look at very very closely. Mark and West say to me it looks like it will come in as the "highest graded copy" they have ever seen.

So, there are a few errors here with Bob's memory. I would never look at a book though a mylar with a back board and tell a customer it would come in as the "highest graded copy" I have ever seen. What if the centerfold is missing, or the back cover has a coupon clipped out.

But he's been selling comics for 42 years! Now go buy something from his eBay store. :taptaptap:

"Robert Beerbohm

8 hours ago ·

...or the cover is glued on!

Can someone more knowledgeable explain this to me? The books he submitted are probably well over 3k each in FMV. According to his own statement he flew down with the books to Florida and hand delivered them. Shouldn't these books have gone through as Walkthrough? (I had to do that with my ASM #1, which I got back in less than 5 days) Later on he says "Two months later Steve Borock brings the two boxes of slabbed up coffins to me Wednesday afternoon at San Diego Comicon.") So was it common practice for Steve to spend hundreds of dollars to transport 2 boxes of slabs on a cross country flight, or for it to take 2 months to grade the books when they should have all been in the Express/Walkthrough tier? Any help is appreciated :)

Can someone more knowledgeable explain this to me? The books he submitted are probably well over 3k each in FMV. According to his own statement he flew down with the books to Florida and hand delivered them. Shouldn't these books have gone through as Walkthrough? (I had to do that with my ASM #1, which I got back in less than 5 days) Later on he says "Two months later Steve Borock brings the two boxes of slabbed up coffins to me Wednesday afternoon at San Diego Comicon.") So was it common practice for Steve to spend hundreds of dollars to transport 2 boxes of slabs on a cross country flight, or for it to take 2 months to grade the books when they should have all been in the Express/Walkthrough tier? Any help is appreciated :)

Can't speak as to whether they should have been walk-through or not, but it was common for CGC to deliver books to dealers at shows back then. They don't do it anymore.

Can't speak as to whether they should have been walk-through or not, but it was common for CGC to deliver books to dealers at shows back then. They don't do it anymore.

It is possible that he asked to receive them all at the same time, which would only be as fast as the slowest invoice. And yes, at that time CGC would actually call to see if a submitter was going to be at a show to expedite deliveries.

Bob has a very selective and inaccurate memory about the events and conversations that took place during his submission to CGC as well as the events/conversations that took place after the books were graded and given back to him.

Just for the record, I have no horse in this race. I no longer work for CGC and I am friendly with Bob.