• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

This is how I imagine the recipe came about

1 part bad records keeping in the first place (leading to part of Matt's order not being in the BLB inventory at time of sale)

1 part Bob using Matt's payment as soon as he got it for whatever (bills, inventory, new warehouse payments)

1 part "oh I cant fill this order completely, and I dont have the liquid capital to refund the difference"

1 part BLB tries to sell some of the more valuable books on ebay so he can raise enough money for when he has to do a partial refund to Matt.

Everything else to me is inconsequential, innuendo, immaterial, and delay tactics.

BLB cant fill the original order and doesnt have the scratch to refund the ammount he'd have to pony up for Matt. So he keeps delaying in hopes that there are enough ebay sales to total up to Matts partial or full refund.

A seller should never, ever spend the proceeds of a sale until the buyer indicates that he's happy and the sale is complete. :sumo:

This is how I imagine the recipe came about

1 part bad records keeping in the first place (leading to part of Matt's order not being in the BLB inventory at time of sale)

1 part Bob using Matt's payment as soon as he got it for whatever (bills, inventory, new warehouse payments)

1 part "oh I cant fill this order completely, and I dont have the liquid capital to refund the difference"

1 part BLB tries to sell some of the more valuable books on ebay so he can raise enough money for when he has to do a partial refund to Matt.

Everything else to me is inconsequential, innuendo, immaterial, and delay tactics.

BLB cant fill the original order and doesnt have the scratch to refund the ammount he'd have to pony up for Matt. So he keeps delaying in hopes that there are enough ebay sales to total up to Matts partial or full refund.

A seller should never, ever spend the proceeds of a sale until the buyer indicates that he's happy and the sale is complete. :sumo:

I agree, its the ONLY reason I can imagine why Bob wouldn't try to make this all go away fast. If he had the books, he'd send the books. If he had the cash he'd send the cash. I think he has some of both, but not enough of either to make Matt whole, thus the shenanigans.

Is there precedent for legal action here?

I am truly disgusted, yet not surprised really. I have seen my fair share of scammers, but none so bold as he to declare as he does on FB. I am pretty sure that he is putting a noose around his neck if someone were to go to the law?

I am not from the States nor a lawyer, so I am unsure. This is really repulsive.

What kind of legal action are you referring to? If you are talking about civil yes there are numerous things they could sue him for. If you are talking about criminal then yes there are also several things he could be tried for, including theft by conversion. The problem here with criminal is you need to get a prosecutor willing to go after him and most wont want to because its a huge amount of work to win the case and not a "big enough deal" to justify it. Prosecutors will push instead towards civil remedies.

I find it fitting that BLB is the man who concocted the unverifiable fable of the Tom Reilly pedigree.

These are the San Francisco books right? So the pedigree is still valid, its just bob's story that could never be validated...

wasnt he the one who brought the SF books to market?

What kind of legal action are you referring to? If you are talking about civil yes there are numerous things they could sue him for. If you are talking about criminal then yes there are also several things he could be tried for, including theft by conversion. The problem here with criminal is you need to get a prosecutor willing to go after him and most wont want to because its a huge amount of work to win the case and not a "big enough deal" to justify it. Prosecutors will push instead towards civil remedies.

Thanks for the input :)

I suppose I am just emotional about it. I really feel bad for Matt.

I have seen my fair share of scammers, but none so bold as he to declare as he does on FB.

On his FB (and Wiki) page, BLB is basically in control - he can therefore continue to propagate his myths and legend while he is simultaneously being exposed elsewhere (e.g., already here and hopefully also on Bleeding Cool soon).

ebay also serves as a high-profile shield for him because he knows how to game the system.

I hope that doubters eventually come to a realization how BLB has so carefully crafted his false reputation, which stands in stark contrast to his alleged default (and seemingly never-ending) mental health issues - individuals truly suffering from such maladies cannot turn such symptoms on/off like a light switch.

Well here is the alphabetical list of WWII deaths, by region. So here is San Francisco:

For Marines/Navy/and Air Force

28-2553a.gif

For Army

28-2553a.gif

(sorry for the massive pic)

Now if we are to believe the story as told (that he was living at his parents in San Francisco and was drafted then he would be listed here. Since he is not, the story is 100% grade A BS

I'm pretty sure that there were different versions of the origin of the Reilly books discussed in old issues of CBM. Bud Plant wrote letters about them, so did BLB. I don't remember all of the details, but after all of the that Beerbong has pulled, I wouldn't believe a word he said.

When called on the dubiousness of the story, he defended it by retelling the tale and then blaming Army record keeping.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1956303#Post1956303

Now here is the thing. I am the grandson of a US Marine who shed blood for this country (literally, he was awarded the purple heart) in WWII. About 5 years ago my mother (his daughter) wanted to know more about his service. I requisitioned his file and received 60+ pages which included extremely detailed notes (including his field promotions and demotions. Now I am supposed to expect that suddenly the US military couldn't keep track of this one particular individual including his outcome (KIA, DNB, etc) but can for thousands upon thousands of others?

Hearing B.S. like this makes me furious. This man has been given every chance to make this deal right and send this man his pulps.

I don't care what this guy has done in the past, its what he's doing now that's not going to be forgotten. I hope no one on these forums ever gives this guy one penny of they're money in the future.

I'd like to say a few more things. but I don't want to bring on the wrath of the mods.

Weren't some of the pulps sold again oneBay a little while ago?

When called on the dubiousness of the story, he defended it by retelling the tale and then blaming Army record keeping.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1956303#Post1956303

Now here is the thing. I am the grandson of a US Marine who shed blood for this country (literally, he was awarded the purple heart) in WWII. About 5 years ago my mother (his daughter) wanted to know more about his service. I requisitioned his file and received 60+ pages which included extremely detailed notes (including his field promotions and demotions. Now I am supposed to expect that suddenly the US military couldn't keep track of this one particular individual including his outcome (KIA, DNB, etc) but can for thousands upon thousands of others?

If he's willing to make up a story, how can the pedigree itself be trusted?

Couldn't they just be a great collection of high grade books that were collected by Bob, who then created the pedigree?

If pedigree markings can be duplicated cant they also be conjured out of thin air?

The SFs I've seen are beautiful books in their own right, pedigree or not. But maybe this was a little marketeering that got out of control?

Was the discovery of the pedigree corroborated from multiple sources, or just Bob?

Hello,

I am closer to the situation than most. I have known Matt for the past two years and as I mentioned in detail in my earlier posts,was chatting with Matt as this deal was being made.

I have been biding my time just waiting to see what was going to happen. I just got off the phone with Matt and the last Matt heard was that the pulps had been shipped out to a third party in New York and that Matt was going to have to drive there and get them.....a 16 hour round trip!!!!

As I said, I have bit my tongue on this, to see if it gets resolved (still biting my tongue), but if it doesn't, I will not be politically correct and let loose a barrage.

Dwight

Dwight,

I am in New York City. If they were truly shipped here (I doubt it is true) I will be glad to pick them up and ship them to Matt free of charge, after I have gone through them thoroughly to document everything about the transaction.

Hello,

I am closer to the situation than most. I have known Matt for the past two years and as I mentioned in detail in my earlier posts,was chatting with Matt as this deal was being made.

I have been biding my time just waiting to see what was going to happen. I just got off the phone with Matt and the last Matt heard was that the pulps had been shipped out to a third party in New York and that Matt was going to have to drive there and get them.....a 16 hour round trip!!!!

As I said, I have bit my tongue on this, to see if it gets resolved (still biting my tongue), but if it doesn't, I will not be politically correct and let loose a barrage.

Dwight

Who on earth does business like this? Just incredible.

Dwight,

I am in New York City. If they were truly shipped here (I doubt it is true) I will be glad to pick them up and ship them to Matt free of charge, after I have gone through them thoroughly to document everything about the transaction.

You sir are a true gentleman and scholar :)

:applause:

Dwight,

Be ready for the claim that the missing pulps were 1) There when he shipped them, 2) There when you picked them up.