• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

The problem deals with jurisdiction. The case has to take place in either in Nebraska (where Bob lives) or the state where Matt lives. Beerbohm is going to use the traditional "Beerbohm fatigue" to try to deal with the case. Probably first he will start with a jurisdiction issue so he will fight where the case is cause he can't travel or he can't leave his daughter or whatever. Hours upon hours of legal work will be done and even for a low cost attorney (say $75-100 an hour, the rate will rack up unbelievably quickly to more then the $3,600 Matt is out) I've said it before if it was NY or DC I would do it free but sadly I don't have jurisdiction.

The problem deals with jurisdiction. The case has to take place in either in Nebraska (where Bob lives) or the state where Matt lives. Beerbohm is going to use the traditional "Beerbohm fatigue" to try to deal with the case. Probably first he will start with a jurisdiction issue so he will fight where the case is cause he can't travel or he can't leave his daughter or whatever. Hours upon hours of legal work will be done and even for a low cost attorney (say $75-100 an hour, the rate will rack up unbelievably quickly to more then the $3,600 Matt is out) I've said it before if it was NY or DC I would do it free but sadly I don't have jurisdiction.

It's more likely that there will be a default judgment, and the challenge will be spending less than the amount in controversy trying to collect it.

It's more likely that there will be a default judgment, and the challenge will be spending less than the amount in controversy trying to collect it.

Or add an allegation of fraud, and request treble damages and attorney's fees.

I don't know the first thing about the law. But Bob did apparently claim he shipped the books to a third party in New York. Could that give you any kind of jurisdiction?

I don't know the first thing about the law. But Bob did apparently claim he shipped the books to a third party in New York. Could that give you any kind of jurisdiction?

Actually, it would give federal jurisdiction. Claims of using the US Mail system which turn out to be spurious could be considered mail fraud.

Wish I could offer more, but: there is only so much one can do by phone 1000s of miles away. Not to mention that if one asks Bob about the deal the ‘answer’ usually starts at the 1973 Berkeley Comic Con or some such. So here’s from our last ‘conversation’ when he called a week or so ago. He admitted he’d ‘probably’ messed up on the deal by tardiness, saying that he’d told Matt it would take ‘some months’ to gather all the pulps, that Matt had moved in the interim, and that the takedown of Matt’s ebay store had scared him. He also said books had shipped but they’re slowed down by going ‘registered’. Please don’t redound anything on me, by the way, but these are ‘the facts’ (of what I was told…).

Much has been made of the shipping to a third party. Yes, maybe funky, but also if happens could move the deal to easier going once Matt and third party are brought together. This would take the deal out of Bob’s ‘overwhelmed’ hands.

I also want to make sure that no one really thinks that Mitch is intentionally running cover for any shenanigans. The man has a huge gift for unintentional irony, but he’s not scamming on this.

I’d like to see posts from Dwight re: Matt’s side- suggesting a ‘third party’ because Matt may be a little too torqued for updates…

I’ve told Bob over and over shipping the pulps is the only answer and admit my ‘patience’ is stretching dangerously thin…

Let’s hope we hear from Dwight or Matt soon, preferably with some good news.