• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IRON MAN 3

54 posts in this topic

"Although both 'Iron Man' movies lay the groundwork for one of shell-head's ultimate villains The Mandarin to appear as a full blown super-villain (the guy who delivers the explosives to Vanko in part 2 is part of the 10 Rings clan), director Jon Favreau has expressed some trepidation about how an [font:Arial Black]Asian guy in robes with 10 magic rings fits into the grounded sensibilities of his films[/font].

Favreau told MTV. "The problem with The Mandarin is, the way it's depicted in the comic books, you don't want to see that. He also has 10 magical rings, and it just doesn't feel right for our thing, so it's either tech-based or the rings are not really rings, but maybe with 'Thor' and all those others you'll introduce magic to that world and it won't seem so out of place."

Honestly. And I might get flamed here. But I think this Jon Favreau dude blows. IMO Iron Man 2 was okay, yet Iron man 1 was much better - mainly because he didn't write the damn thing. Don't like the guy, don't trust the guy.

An Asian guy in a robe fit into the GROUNDED sensibilities of his films? What's he smoking. NONE of his films have any grounded sensibilities. It's a freakin comic book movie. The guy wants to keep everything tech based. No monsters, magic or myths allowed. I wish he'd go back to making Elfs. He's a tool.

"Although both 'Iron Man' movies lay the groundwork for one of shell-head's ultimate villains The Mandarin to appear as a full blown super-villain (the guy who delivers the explosives to Vanko in part 2 is part of the 10 Rings clan), director Jon Favreau has expressed some trepidation about how an [font:Arial Black]Asian guy in robes with 10 magic rings fits into the grounded sensibilities of his films[/font].

Favreau told MTV. "The problem with The Mandarin is, the way it's depicted in the comic books, you don't want to see that. He also has 10 magical rings, and it just doesn't feel right for our thing, so it's either tech-based or the rings are not really rings, but maybe with 'Thor' and all those others you'll introduce magic to that world and it won't seem so out of place."

Honestly. And I might get flamed here. But I think this Jon Favreau dude blows. IMO Iron Man 2 was okay, yet Iron man 1 was much better - mainly because he didn't write the damn thing. Don't like the guy, don't trust the guy.

An Asian guy in a robe fit into the GROUNDED sensibilities of his films? What's he smoking. NONE of his films have any grounded sensibilities. It's a freakin comic book movie. The guy wants to keep everything tech based. No monsters, magic or myths allowed. I wish he'd go back to making Elfs. He's a tool.

You got to think Ironman 3 would be Jon Favrea`s last and will there even be and Ironman 4? How many franchises last past a trilogy?

A good/great director knows to stay behind the camera.

Yeah, like Alfred Hitchcock, Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, Spike Lee, Charlie Chaplin, Quentin Tarantino...keep those directors in their place. And keep the creators off screen too, Stan. meh

Yeah, like Alfred Hitchcock, Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, Spike Lee, Charlie Chaplin, Quentin Tarantino...keep those directors in their place. And keep the creators off screen too, Stan. meh

lol

Bazinga

lol

M Night Shyamalan too.

Maybe you're taking something different out of this, but it doesn't sound like he's saying the Mandarin won't be in any future movies...it sounds like he's saying he needs to be altered from his comic appearance in order to fit into the world created by the movie better. This has been done with a few of the others before:

-X-men: They wear black leather instead of colorful spandex to look a little more natural onscreen

-Fantastic Four 2: RotSS: Galactus was made into a big cloud (with hints of the helmet shape thrown in for good measure) instead of a gigantic man floating in space to make it look more natural in the movie.

There were plenty that didn't like these choices, but I certainly understand why they were made.

And he's not completely writing off a magical Mandarin...it sounds like he may just want to wait for a few more supernatural things to happen (Thor movie) before he introduces it to the Iron Man franchise.

You got to think Ironman 3 would be Jon Favrea`s last and will there even be and Ironman 4? How many franchises last past a trilogy?

Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, James Bond, Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Rocky, Lethal Weapon, Bad Girls, Hot Housewives (i digress)- there are plenty but how many are any good after three? Knowing Marvel they will wring every possible drop of oil out of the old rust bucket.

Besides the fact that these are comic book movies, as Tsimanga said, the Mandarin's rings come from extraterrestial beings, so they're powered by alien technology not magic.

I feel like the geek snickering about the writer who "doesn't even know the difference between an android and a cyborg," but I'd think alien technology is more "grounded" than magic.

Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, James Bond, Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Rocky, Lethal Weapon, Bad Girls, Hot Housewives (i digress)- there are plenty but how many are any good after three? Knowing Marvel they will wring every possible drop of oil out of the old rust bucket.

(hate to be a trekkie) STAR TREK - 11 movies and counting with the last one being one of the best.

and tons of horror films!

+1!

I didn't have a problem with Favreau in the first movie, but he was all over the second movie. I know that Happy is a secondary character in Iron Man, but his fight scene could have been left out.

I didn't mind the fight scene. However, I did find myself thinking it was kind of funny that Jon Favreau even had a fight scene - at least it had a comical touch to it.

In any case, I don't think it's a bad idea to wait and see how the Thor movie plays out and then re-evaluating how to deal with bringing the Mandarin to the screen. I thought a great re-invention was done during the Iron Man: Director of Shield stint in which the Mandarin resurfaced as a business mogul who had to seek out and discover the rings once again, and when he did, he had them embedded in his spine. Of course, that only lasted until the end of the story arc, but it was pretty cool.

Isn't Thor going to throw a wrench in to this "grounded sensibility"? Iron Man and Thor are going to exist in the same universe. Thor comes out before IM3. Now that the silverscreen groundwork is laid for IM, I would think the movies can venture off in to the less "sensible" areas that the comics took us...

How badass would a Thanos/Drax IM movie be out on a distant plant?