• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored books aren't necessarily dead....

19 posts in this topic

I think they look better in the scans than in person. The LRC has a massive crease that is visible if you look closely, and there are a couple of biggies in the URC too. But you are still right -- from the scans, they look like nice books. I had a bid on each of them and was keeping an eye on both auctions, but gave up after the price started to approach full unrestored guide. (Though, granted, last year's guide prices are now based on sales prices that are over a year old.)

Both of those books present very well, especially that #3! Very nice for a 4.5, looks like a 7.0!

Timely

Check these out. I couldn't believe the final prices on these PLODs. Granted, they didn't sell for full guide, but they didn't take the hit I would have expected because of the PLODs. Maybe it matters less in lower grades? confused-smiley-013.gif

My experience is that's exactly right. I sold some PLOD low-grade books on eBay (all sold to me as restored in the mid-1980s by that thief Gerry Ross), and I was amazed at how close to Guide I got. Here's a few examples:

Avengers 2 CGC 6.0, 60% Guide

Avengers 3 CGC 4.5, 97% Guide

GS X-Men 1 CGC 6.0, 93% Guide

X-Men 3 CGC 5.5, 80% Guide

X-Men 4 CGC 5.0, 83% Guide

(all sold to me as restored in the mid-1980s by that thief Gerry Ross),

shocked.gifshocked.gif The "Comic Master", an early proto-type of Comic-Keys!

He sold them to you as "restored" though? Or do you mean you later found them to be restored?

Just a few weeks ago there was an FF#1 PLOD that I was watching. It brought a pretty nice price. (I don't save any auction info, so I don't know the figures frown.gif).

Simply put:

If you are buying HIGH-GRADE, then you have an INVESTMENT RISK in the book. And we all know PLOD books are a RISK.

Think of it this way:

You buy a VG restored book for a decent price.

Now you can RESTORED it up to a VF or higher if you want a nice looking copy. There's no risk in restoring it since it was ALREADY a PLOD.

Perhaps people are starting to come to their senses regarding slight restoration in low/mid grade books. To me, a color touch or tear seal on a VG book is no worse than any other assortment of flaws that this book could have. I think CGC was rough on the #2... this looks like a 4.0 - 4.5 to me.

confused-smiley-013.gif

These are probably two of the toughest Spideys to come by. Looks like some collectors wanted to pick up some copies with nice eye appeal for their collections.

I like to see books like these performing well, it is a much better sign for the hobby than the big sales of hyper-inflated high grade CGC books. cloud9.gif

Check these out. I couldn't believe the final prices on these PLODs. Granted, they didn't sell for full guide, but they didn't take the hit I would have expected because of the PLODs. Maybe it matters less in lower grades? confused-smiley-013.gif

ASM #2 CGC 3.5 PLOD

ASM #3 CGC 4.5 PLOD

I was the seller of the books in question. I should say that first of all the books to me seemed to have been graded harshly. I was the original submitter and had bought these all as unrestored. It's hard to see, but the number 3 has a crease on the bottom right that is about 2 inches. It has been "colored". Still I thought a 5.0 to 6.0 might be within reason. No such luck.

The 2 was the big surprise. To me I thought VG/Fine no sweat. maybe better. 3.5 though???

Anyway I had set the original buy it now for all books at 60% of guide. Only a couple got taken. The rest went as follows:

ASM 2 3.5A $318 or 91% of recent GPA pricing

ASM 3 4.5A $361 or 78% of recent GPA pricing

ASM 27 8.0A $75 or 25% of recent GPA pricing (Obviously, not all did well)

ASM 16 7.5A $180 or 59% of recent GPA pricing

ASM 41 7.5A $66 or 45% of recent GPA pricing

A simple average brings 59.5%. A dollar weighted average is 64%. I sold a few of these restored books about a year and a half ago. At the time I realized about 40% of recent pricing. Overall, I thought things went well.I was stunned that overall, the losses I realized on these books was relatively small, probably less than a couple of hundred dollars.

ASM #2 CGC 3.5 PLOD

ASM #3 CGC 4.5 PLOD

I was the seller of the books in question. I should say that first of all the books to me seemed to have been graded harshly. I was the original submitter and had bought these all as unrestored. It's hard to see, but the number 3 has a crease on the bottom right that is about 2 inches. It has been "colored". Still I thought a 5.0 to 6.0 might be within reason. No such luck.

The 2 was the big surprise. To me I thought VG/Fine no sweat. maybe better. 3.5 though???

Anyway I had set the original buy it now for all books at 60% of guide. Only a couple got taken. The rest went as follows:

A simple average brings 59.5%. A dollar weighted average is 64%. I sold a few of these restored books about a year and a half ago. At the time I realized about 40% of recent pricing. Overall, I thought things went well.I was stunned that overall, the losses I realized on these books was relatively small, probably less than a couple of hundred dollars.

Very interesting statistics - thanks for sharing them with us. thumbsup2.gif

my sense of your sales (although limited) is that the lesser graded books will pull a significantly higher percentage of the equivalent guide price. i can't imagine an ASM#1 in 9.0 getting anywhere close to 50% of guide ($10,000) - or would it??

what about an AF#15 (scarcer/more desirable) in 9.0 - anyone think that could get anywhere near $15,000??? but, could a 6.0 fetch close to $2,000??? thoughts, anyone?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sorry for the confusing wording. Definitely sold to me as unrestored, definitely came back as restored. From what I've seen on these boards, I'm not the only one who met this fate.

OK...That's what I thought you meant. And, that's why I said he was an early-prototype of Koos/Dupcak.

A long time ago (I think it was) Banner posted some archived stuff from and old comic forum discussing Crestohl/Ross and their little racket.

ASM #2 CGC 3.5 PLOD

ASM #3 CGC 4.5 PLOD

Any particular reasoning for why you sold these books now (especially the ASM 3) and not closer to the Spider-Man 2 movie release? confused-smiley-013.gif

These are my "restored" books. I have dupicates , triplicates and quadruplicates in slab on most books from 1 to 200, all unrestored. I sent in a lot of books a while before the first movie only to get them back well after the peak. This time I am ready. But I have so many books that I can't afford to sell them all just before the movie. I'll gradually sell from worst to best as we approach the "right time".