• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible CGC Road trip to Dolgoffs warehouse?

48 posts in this topic

893frustrated.gif...What's in it???...

Tons and tons of low- and mid-grade books all classified using Gary's own quirky grading system. I'd love to visit the warehouse someday when I'm in the area, but am kinda surprised that so many HG hounds on these boards would be so interested in Gary's inventory, which never seems to rise above VF/NM and mostly dwells in the VG range...?

but am kinda surprised that so many HG hounds on these boards would be so interested in Gary's inventory, which never seems to rise above VF/NM and mostly dwells in the VG range...?

Maybe even HG hounds like to fill holes in their collection? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Maybe even HG hounds like to fill holes in their collection? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Could be...or maybe some board members know something about Dolgoff's grading system, that in fact he undergrades significantly and consistently? I don't claim to know the answer but would be interested to find out...

Maybe upon returning from Dolgoff's warehouse, some participants of the field trip could post a few examples of his ideas of VG vs. VF vs. NM ...? (I don't think he even lists anything as being NM...)

Tons and tons of low- and mid-grade books all classified using Gary's own quirky grading system. I'd love to visit the warehouse someday when I'm in the area, but am kinda surprised that so many HG hounds on these boards would be so interested in Gary's inventory, which never seems to rise above VF/NM and mostly dwells in the VG range...?

Ya but the price is usually right, and Gary's "quirky grading system" is another way of saying he consistently UNDER-grades! thumbsup2.gif

Personally, 60 of my Batmans from 300-400 were filled in one fell swoop by Gary and since then I have wanted to do more business with him. Personally, I want him to pull out all the Batmans that I need and to be able to look at some low grade books and have my pick of the litter (vs. the usual con where it's either take it or leave it). Also, I really like books with subscription creases and I am sure that he can pull a few for me. . . smile.gif

Plus, I haven't had a road trip in a long time . . .

DAM

In addition to the stuff in his catalog,visitors to his warehouse sometimes get first cracks at the huge inventory he seemingly gets in on a daily basis,and I've been told that he seeds a few surprises in his boxes to keep people searching.

I've got quite a few holes in my collection that I hope to fill and then upgrade eventually.

I'm not sure I would drive or fly for hours and hours to visit it,but then I don't see the attraction in flying cross country to SD to stand on lines and pay top-dollar for books.

Anyone asking for PMs,I promise I'll get to it on Saturday when I wake up.

Hope all of you find what you are looking for on this road trip. I remember an once in a lifetime road trip out east which I took back in the mid 90's. Did any of you guys make it out to the Diamond Int'l Galleries opening in Timonium. Received a personal invitation in the mail along with a few personal phone calls before I was able to convince my wife the night before to give me the weekend off to fly across the country and attend the opening.

An absolutely first class event with the full red carpet and black tie treatment. Wine & cheese, grand tour of the Diamond facitilites, and a view of some some absolutely gorgeous books including a lot of high grade pedigree #1 issue Golden Age books. My biggest mistake on opening night was playing the part of the tourist and enjoying everything and assuming that the books were simply a gallery display not for sale. By the time I realized that the books were available for the asking, the East Coast trio of Fishler, Rogovin, and Greenhal had already snapped up virtually everything. As a result, I was only able to pick up a couple of books from opening night.

A small select group of us was asked to come back in the morning for a private breakfast with Geppi and Snyder since opening night had everybody there including members of the Baltimore O's baseball team, the mayor of Baltimore, along with a bunch of other named guests. Anyways, after a nice breakfast, the next event was a total surprise and a collectors dream come true. Boxes and boxes were wheeled out to us from the vault which consisted of Bob Overstreet's personal collection. I still remember everybody grabbing a box for themselves and going through to pull out books which they wanted. This went on for most of the day as we saw runs of Mile Highs, rare GA books which nobody had seen before and would probably never see again, constant swapping of books from one pile to the next as more and more boxes were being wheeled out.

Needless to say, I probably spent more money on this one road trip than all of my other comic purchases combined. Just glad my wife supported me and let me take a chunk of money out from her account. Looking back now, a trip that I'll always remember since it allow me to see and acquire some books that I had never seen or would ever see again. From a financial point of view, it was also well worth it since all of the books which I picked up have gone up quite a few times in guide since then. smile.gif

Hope this trip turns into the road trip of a lifetime for everybody that's going! thumbsup2.gif

Don't leave us in the dark Lou, what did you score on that trip? I was an active buyer of expensive items back then too but I had never done a deal with Geppi and therefore was not on his invite list. Sad for me...but many of my friends were there and all tell a similar tale...a sight to behold...to be sure!

Timely