• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Treasure Hunters Roadshow -- THIEVES !!!

137 posts in this topic

With gold around $1240/oz, I imagine some of these people offer as little as half that
Think much less ;)

People are getting taken for a ride left and right all over. Any time anyone puts an ad in the paper saying you can meet them at the Mariott and they will buy all your valuables, stay away. I feel like going to those things and offering 10% more than the guys hosting the event offer. There are stands at the swap meets now where people are willing to buy your gold. I know a lot of people have no idea what their stuff is worth too. I had to pass on a collection of about 200 silver dollars from about 1850-1950 because I don't know how to tell a fake and there were a lot of those sitting Liberty coins that I know are faked a lot. He would have sold me the entire collection for $8 per coin doh!

What did you expect? Some people would breeze into town and pay 200% guide for books and gold in a hotel. No they pay a tiny fraction and hope to get some sales. There is nothing illegal about what they do, they are simply taking advantage of people that don't know any better.

Since you knew better you were wasting your time.

With gold around $1240/oz, I imagine some of these people offer as little as half that
Think much less ;)

Doubtful.

People are familiar with the idea that "gold is over $1,000 an ounce!!"

With the confusion over 10k, 14k, and 18k, I imagine that's where a lot of the difference is made up, but I seriously most folks are getting taken for "much less" than half the gold's value.

People may not be aware of the price of gold like they are the price of gas, but they're a lot more familiar with it...or know how to find out...than collectibles.

Gold is about as liquid as it gets. Gold is the single most liquid substance on earth.

I had to pass on a collection of about 200 silver dollars from about 1850-1950 because I don't know how to tell a fake and there were a lot of those sitting Liberty coins that I know are faked a lot. He would have sold me the entire collection for $8 per coin doh!

You were right to pass on Seated Liberty dollars, because they are expensive and faked by China all day long.

However...if they were Morgan and Peace dollars, $8 isn't "that good" a deal. I can go to my usual coin store in Mesa and buy all the common Morgans and Peace dollars I want for $16.50 each...and that's "full retail."

I would have loved to see them, though. Where were they?

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

I removed the raw DC#9, 11, 12 from the CGC holders, amongst others, and walked in to their lair with books in mylar w\backing. I also had ASM#9 , 11 , 14 in VG that they turned their noises up at and told some non-sequestered story about how they bought a stack of Richie Rich comics for .15 per.

:o

$25/each?

:takeit:

Sorry dude that is just wrong

Think much less ;)

Doubtful.

People are familiar with the idea that "gold is over $1,000 an ounce!!"

With the confusion over 10k, 14k, and 18k, I imagine that's where a lot of the difference is made up, but I seriously most folks are getting taken for "much less" than half the gold's value.

People may not be aware of the price of gold like they are the price of gas, but they're a lot more familiar with it...or know how to find out...than collectibles.

Gold is about as liquid as it gets. Gold is the single most liquid substance on earth.

I had to pass on a collection of about 200 silver dollars from about 1850-1950 because I don't know how to tell a fake and there were a lot of those sitting Liberty coins that I know are faked a lot. He would have sold me the entire collection for $8 per coin doh!

You were right to pass on Seated Liberty dollars, because they are expensive and faked by China all day long.

However...if they were Morgan and Peace dollars, $8 isn't "that good" a deal. I can go to my usual coin store in Mesa and buy all the common Morgans and Peace dollars I want for $16.50 each...and that's "full retail."

I would have loved to see them, though. Where were they?

I would put silver above gold since not everyone can afford gold so go the route of silver which can be obtain or sold just as easily as gold. I myself here and there will get silver over gold because of price line. Lot of people can't afford gold but can afford silver thus I feel silver is more liquid then gold.

I'd have thought a liquid would be the most liquid substance on Earth what with gold being a solid in it's stp state...

. There is nothing illegal about what they do, they are simply taking advantage of people that don't know any better.

:gossip: You just defined the legal concept of FRAUD. (thumbs u .

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

I removed the raw DC#9, 11, 12 from the CGC holders, amongst others, and walked in to their lair with books in mylar w\backing. I also had ASM#9 , 11 , 14 in VG that they turned their noises up at and told some non-sequestered story about how they bought a stack of Richie Rich comics for .15 per.

I love that wall art!

(worship)

Thanks -- The pre-Bat TECS are great reads -- Before the superhero genre took off, the prototype Superman\Clark Kent\Lois Lane characters plus comic story telling were under development in these issues.

A company similar to this one passed through Beaumont about 6 months ago.

They had a full page add in the paper advertising "Top Dollar for rare Coins."

One of our local news stations got together with a local Coin shop and brought in some coins for them to appraise.

The amount of money they offered was way below even half of what the true value was.

Of course the people refused to give a statement on the air, but I thought it was a great idea that the news station bothered to do this.

Hey, Arcade, is Comics Kingdom still around (near Phelan Ave?)? Been a while since I was down in South East Texas!

Yep. Still there.

In Fact, Scott, the owner, is a good friend of mine.

I buy his back stock of old books to use as prizes in my redemption counter at my Family Entertainment Center.

If you ever make it down again, let me know. :)

I would put silver above gold since not everyone can afford gold so go the route of silver which can be obtain or sold just as easily as gold. I myself here and there will get silver over gold because of price line. Lot of people can't afford gold but can afford silver thus I feel silver is more liquid then gold.

lol

Ahhh, Whispy...your logic is so fascinating sometimes.

Totally, undeniably wrong, in so many ways, for so many reasons, but fascinating nonetheless.

(thumbs u

I'd have thought a liquid would be the most liquid substance on Earth what with gold being a solid in it's stp state...

Ahhh, a clown after my own heart.... :cloud9:

lol

Ahhh, Whispy...your logic is so fascinating somets.

Totally, undeniably wrong, in so many ways, for so many reasons, but fascinating nonetheless.

(thumbs u

I get my Gold via ATM these days.

Cause it's more liquid than cash. :tonofbricks:

lol

(thumbs u

I thought O/A was more liquid than cash?

lol

(thumbs u

I thought O/A was more liquid than cash?

you're Krazy.