• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sales Forum more like the Bermuda Triange

186 posts in this topic

Seems like it takes the special secret handshake to get anything sold in the Sales Forum. I really can't get a handle on it on the several attempts I've tried to sell some CGC books for reasonable prices seems like there is little or no action. :taptaptap:

Help me out with some suggestions. I try to stay away from raw books and sell my CGC books. Is that the right way to do it?

(shrug)

WEBHEAD Class of '03

I tend to buy raw over graded, but that's just me.

I've definitely seen the tumbleweeds arollin' in sales threads I thought should get more action, can't really say why all the time. Sometimes prices are too high, sometimes there's another thread where everyone's going nuts and it sucks the oxygen out of the rest, but... :shrug:

There IS a secret, and it infects the entire CGC message board..

:gossip:(Everyone here is c-h-e-a-p)

It's true. I can't tell you how many times I've priced books here, then offered discounts, on decent stuff, only to sell it for more on eBay.

Sad but true. Everyone here's a dealer, a wanna-be dealer, or has paid attention to all the "crackhead prices" threads...

Look at all the threads by people asking to buy RAW 9.8 copies of stuff. Do they pay CGC'd 9.8 prices minus the cost to slab...? lol

Seems like it takes the special secret handshake to get anything sold in the Sales Forum. I really can't get a handle on it on the several attempts I've tried to sell some CGC books for reasonable prices seems like there is little or no action. :taptaptap:

Help me out with some suggestions. I try to stay away from raw books and sell my CGC books. Is that the right way to do it?

(shrug)

WEBHEAD Class of '03

Your sales thread is not the problem,is just most of the board members are either saving their money for something really awesome or they are flat broke (like myself :cry: )

I know it is more hassle to sell on Ebay but I think you might have a better shot there. I think the sale thread here has been slower than they used to be. I only have been on this board for less than a year but I can see a major difference between what it is now and what it was 6 months ago.

time is tough now and is not getting any better soon so the majority of the people here or any where are holding tighter to their wallets.

It's true. I can't tell you how many times I've priced books here, then offered discounts, on decent stuff, only to sell it for more on eBay.

Sad but true. Everyone here's a dealer, a wanna-be dealer, or has paid attention to all the "crackhead prices" threads...

Look at all the threads by people asking to buy RAW 9.8 copies of stuff. Do they pay CGC'd 9.8 prices minus the cost to slab...? lol

Sad but true lol

I had to sell my Green Lantern:Rebirth CGC 9.6 SS books to my LCS lol

+1

In my opinion, the prices many are asking for books here on the sales forum, are just rediculous.

I know, I know. If you don't like the prices. Don't buy. (hence the reason for this thread, I think)

Not all "offerings fall into this category though. I have seen some bargains here and there. But the vast majority of the offerings are way out of wack with reality. Especially in this economy.

Don't get me wrong. It's your book and you can ask for it what you want. But then don't complain that the sales forum is dead if you do. Reasonably priced books fly within minutes usually. Some take a little longer.

Not directing this towards anyone in particular. Just an observation over the past year or so. Didn't use to be like that. Is it ALL because of the economy, or are sellers here just trying to make a house payment or car payment, off of each and every book?

I could list a bunch of books and caption them "Aggresive price for sure, but I don't mind keeping this one". But what would be the point? To show them off? Or hoping for a miracle? How many books that have been advertised that way, actually sell from those adds?

My guess is zero. Am I wrong?

(okay, I'm ready for those slings and arrows. Again) :)

Most of what I sell are HG Marvel CGC books. Really, over the course of the year I don't sell all that much here...sortof go in spurts. Most of my books are, if not perfectly registered, very nicely presenting copies for the grades. Many are white pagers but I have my share of off-whites and the occasional COW pager.

So, with that, my ask prices are near the top of GPA or about 10% lest depending on page quality etc. I expect to sell a few books in the first 24 hours and then expect to discount 10 to 20%. Sometimes I don't discount and just end the thread and put them on eBay (I just put my remaining ASMs and FFs that didn't sell on CLINK but it is only like the third time I've sold on CLINK).

I had a batch of Spideys left and Dale Roberts sent me a PM asking how much for the rest of them...about 10 or 15 books I think it was. I offered him a 20% across the board discount with free insured shipping and I didn't even get a response. Guess I must've insulted him. I thought that was pretty funny though...really. lol Actually, I think I didn't expect a response. Bear in mind these are all easy-to-move 9.4 ASMs... :devil:

I really like selling to board members that are collectors, and helping them with their set-holes, but I have no control if people are going to flip and at the end of the day, it's really out of my hands. But if somebody chisels me down and then flips pretty quickly, I find that poor form and take note... :insane:

Amazingly, I never get that many offers. But get this... :gossip: THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE OFFERS GET THE BOOKS ABOUT 99% OF THE TIME! :headbang: The more I like the person and the more sincere and nice they are, the more I'll work with them...that's just how I roll... (thumbs u

I always offer free shipping for the most part and get killed on shipping more often than not. :tonofbricks: But for books recently purchased I'm just looking to break even and for books I've held for some time I usually do pretty good...but I'M A COLLECTOR...NOT A DEALER! doh!

But by and large, it can be difficult at times and I've been frustrated :frustrated: with some threads as well. Hang in there, put up a fair and reasonable ask...if the book is a sterling example of it's HG category, ask for top dollar and don't think twice about it...if someone wants it bad enough, they should expect to pay top market... 2c

Good luck in the future... :headbang:

t

I've noticed quite a few sales threads recently that came and went without a single sale. The boards have highs and lows when it comes to sales just like any other place...it just seems like right now there's a low.

I saw the ASM that the OP put up. I'm betting he'd get far more on ebay than he asked for here. Not to say he'd never get more here than on ebay, but the timing just isn't right. My 2c

there are so many variables that go into a successful sales thread here they are hard to enumerate: GROSS GENERALIZATIONS TO FOLLOW

if you have a rep here for grading raw books fairly and you price them at a discount to guide, they'll fly out of here (see any FT or FK thread for example)

if you drink heavily during your sales thread, you'll draw a crowd and have a great sell through rate

if you have modern raw books, bend over and don't expect more than $1 a book unless it's some variant or book that is perceived as hot (low print run seems to be a major selling point)

if you have slabs, it's going to be tough to get GPA unless it's a hot or hard to find book

if you have modern slabs, there are some dedicated SS buyers here- again, price must be right (low)

be named greggy