• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sales Forum more like the Bermuda Triange

186 posts in this topic

No worries.

Just wanted to clarify my initial post and say that if a book does not sell that does not necessarily mean that there is something wrong with either the buyers or the sellers here, it's just a case of not finding the right buyer here for the book you are offering at the time that you offer it.

You might have the most amazing book but if nobody is looking for it then it won't sell.

If it's fairly graded and fairly priced then the right person just has not seen the book yet.

Good luck!

You must've thought it was "white boy day"....

roy-dreads.jpg

Who is this guy? Ziggy Marley? :baiting:

Hi Roy! :grin:

No worries.

Just wanted to clarify my initial post and say that if a book does not sell that does not necessarily mean that there is something wrong with either the buyers or the sellers here, it's just a case of not finding the right buyer here for the book you are offering at the time that you offer it.

You might have the most amazing book but if nobody is looking for it then it won't sell.

If it's fairly graded and fairly priced then the right person just has not seen the book yet.

Good luck!

roy-dreads.jpg

That's not Roy...that's Drexl, yo.

gary-oldman-top-11-whats-a-drexl.jpg

I think its pretty obvious that sales on the boards are a lot tougher these days than 6 months ago...but it isn't limited to the boards.

----

Wasn't the economy deeper in the krapper 6 months ago?

As someone who was not laid off or deeply affected by the recession, my buying actually increased when people had to start selling at discounts. But now I've been pulling back because I kind of over spent.

In my opinion, the prices many are asking for books here on the sales forum, are just rediculous.

I know, I know. If you don't like the prices. Don't buy. (hence the reason for this thread, I think)

Not all "offerings fall into this category though. I have seen some bargains here and there. But the vast majority of the offerings are way out of wack with reality. Especially in this economy.

Don't get me wrong. It's your book and you can ask for it what you want. But then don't complain that the sales forum is dead if you do. Reasonably priced books fly within minutes usually. Some take a little longer.

Not directing this towards anyone in particular. Just an observation over the past year or so. Didn't use to be like that. Is it ALL because of the economy, or are sellers here just trying to make a house payment or car payment, off of each and every book?

I could list a bunch of books and caption them "Aggresive price for sure, but I don't mind keeping this one". But what would be the point? To show them off? Or hoping for a miracle? How many books that have been advertised that way, actually sell from those adds?

My guess is zero. Am I wrong?

(okay, I'm ready for those slings and arrows. Again) :)

Are you talking about that guy who listed a $300 book here a little while back who bought that same book less than a month ago for $200...after he offered only $150 to the seller?

No worries.

Good luck!

roy-dreads.jpg

Drexl? What's a Drexl?true_romance_1993_685x385.jpg

A couple of years ago stuff moved here pretty well, even I use to scoop up stuff I didn't really need but I know my buying patterns have defintely taken a step back, or two. I think the economy is forcing more people to sell but the amount of dollars to go around is defintely less. BTW does anyone have a cool set of rims they want to sell me. :D

In my case, I've had much more disposible income to buy comics than I've ever had but haven't had the desire to buy. In fact, I've bought very few comics in 2010 and think a recent purchase from FT is the first significant buy I've had since Jan.

I've perused the selling forum on occasion and really don't see anything I really want, don't already have, or not at an grossly inflated price from a seller that I trust. New sellers...don't take it the wrong way but I'm at the point in my collecting that I'll only buy from sellers that either I've had good dealings in the past or trust implicitly. I just don't have the time nor patience to deal with new sellers. My loss probably but it 's where I feel comfortable at the current time. Comics aren't the priority at the current time and when I do dabble in it, I don't want the headache associated with some aspects of this hobby...

Jim

I've managed to sell every book I've offered on these boards. Of course, I sell on the cheap and usually accept the first low ball offer I'm pm'ed. Gotta have my dough for the OA, baby! :headbang:

Dan

I've managed to sell every book I've offered on these boards. Of course, I sell on the cheap and usually accept the first low ball offer I'm pm'ed. Gotta have my dough for the OA, baby! :headbang:

Dan

hm

I think its pretty obvious that sales on the boards are a lot tougher these days than 6 months ago...but it isn't limited to the boards.

----

Wasn't the economy deeper in the krapper 6 months ago?

Prices on already outrageously overpriced apartments in my neck of the woods (really, $1500 a square foot, really???) have already creapt back up... not to 2007 levels, but getting there. I have no frigging idea where the money is coming from because all of these folks can't work at Goldman Sachs.

May is a slow month, like September + you have 2 big auctions.

There are some other things to be considered.

1. Less issues needed by the average collector. When I first joined the boards, I had huge holes in my ASM and X-Men run. Almost daily I would see a book I needed on here. The first few VCC's were awesome for picking up stuff as well. However, now that I only need one X-Men comic and three ASM comics to complete my runs, the Sales forum is not the treasure trove it once was for me.

2. Time payments. The few issues I need to complete my runs are more expensive since they are earlier issues. My comics fund comes from side jobs only. I do not use my "real job(s)" paycheck to buy comics (especially with this economy). A lot of my lower issue ASM and X-Men comics were obtained via time payments from SkyPinkBlu and Trmoore (thanks guys (worship) ) With more expensive books time payments are more convenient (of course "expensive" will vary from person to person).

3. "Average collector". This would be me. I am not a high grade enthusiast. I am perfectly happy with my low to mid-grade comics. I prefer raw as I actually like taking them out and reading them. In general I do not upgrade. I wait for the minimum grade book I want, buy it, read it, store it. So, I don't collect slabs (I own 2 total).

Faith No More/Epic

Such a great song (worship) (worship) (worship) (thumbs u

I know this is kind of strange but the first time I ever listed to that song was last year....I do agree that the song is "Epic".

:cloud9:

"It's the economy, stupid!" At least it is for me. My job just reduced my pay by nearly $3/hour and increased by annual hours by 400+ hours.

Get this, though. It's not a pay cut because it's an annual salary!

:roflmao:

At least it's a salary until it comes tim to pay for vacation or sick time. Then, we're an hourly rate and the scheduled over time doesn't figure in and we're paid in straight time.

Anyway, enough of my rant.

The economy is hammering me right now. I had a really good run, but I'm watching every penny lately. My wife needs a new car, I could certainly use a new truck, plus all the usual stuff seems to be getting more and more expensive. I do make low ball offers, but it is what I can afford. I rarely flip for profit either, I put this stuff away in my "permanent collection" where it never sees daylight again. When I do sell, it's out of need, either for an item I'm purchasing or need for day to day life.

The sales threads ebb and flow like everything else. My last few threads didn't get a nibble. No big deal, nobody wanted what I was offering at the price I listed. I'll try again sometime.

Faith No More/Epic

I know this is kind of strange but the first time I ever listed to that song was last year....I do agree that the song is "Epic".

It would be great if we always heard music right around when it was released, but often that's not the case. As long as there is a connection there for the listener, proximity to the release date doesn't matter so much. Its true with rock/popular music + even more true for jazz + classical. I hear "new" music, new to me of course, all the time that blows me away + that music could be 50 to 250 years old. Not to sound too cliched, but great music is timeless. And Faith No More were way ahead of there time!! :headbang:

All that hair on your head and you have just slightly more hair than those Thai lady-boys everywhere else. hm

You know this, how?

Roy's online travel-log. Very very informative.

Faith No More/Epic

It would be great if we always heard music right around when it was released, but often that's not the case. As long as there is a connection there for the listener, proximity to the release date doesn't matter so much. Its true with rock/popular music + even more true for jazz + classical. I hear "new" music, new to me of course, all the time that blows me away + that music could be 50 to 250 years old. Not to sound too cliched, but great music is timeless. And Faith No More were way ahead of there time!! :headbang:

Yeah, I suppose it's kind of strange to hear something a decade a later than everyone else but it also allows you to appreciate things with a mature mind and a different POV.

Faith No More were definitely ahead of their time and they literally almost spawned a new genre of music (Red Hot Chili Peppers come to mind) that we still listen to today.

I think the best thing about their music was that you couldn't pin them down to one "type". It was heavy, it was hip hop, it was a ballad, it was comical, it was really almost everything rolled up in one.

Too bad like most giants they didn't last very long.