• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Finally Made It!! (Image Heavy)

69 posts in this topic

Some of you know that the family Boozad finally got the keys to their house three weeks ago after a five-year wait. We're finally out of the tiny flat we were living in and into the house. But man was it a monumental effort to get there?!

Basically we had two weeks to get moved in after I negotiated an extension on the rent for the flat - after I'd been in the house for the first time... It was a total wreck which hadn't been updated whatsoever from the fifties, the plasterwork and brick was shot to mess, the previous owner's dog had left a few presents in the kitchen (old presents :sick: ), the boiler was wrecked...

Anyhow, basically I cut myself off from everything, used up 80% of my annual leave from work, sold a few books to finance proceedings and ploughed head first into the task at hand. The previous decor left everything to the imagination, paper had been painted on time and again meaning to strip just the lounge of paper took three days. My nephew gave his all and his help was much appreciated, and I'll apologise about the quality of most of the photos, they were from my phone.

photo-47.jpg

My Dad got stuck in too...

3.jpg

And finally we got it stripped.

5.jpg

The bedrooms were pretty quick to strip, but were not a pretty sight when they were laid bare...

1.jpg

2.jpg

So the first major task (so I thought at the time) was removing this serving hatch. I use that term loosely as whoever had it fitted forgot that a serving hatch needs to open doh!

photo-48.jpg

But on closer inspection I noticed the damp plaster below it :cry:

photo-49.jpg

photo-37.jpg

And then worse to come. I tore off all of the skirting board as it looked damp as well, and the plaster on the front wall gave me an even bigger problem. It wasn't attached to the wall anymore, and my plasterer's bill had just doubled.

photo-50.jpg

photo-34.jpg

So the front wall got took back to the brick, the plaster and drylining took around 4 hours to remove.

photo-46.jpg

But finally we started to move forwards. The bedrooms got plastered first and then whitewashed.

photo-23.jpg

photo-3.jpg

And finally, the lounge got plastered, the serving 'hatch' was gone for good, and I fitted new coving to finish the room off.

photo-25.jpg

Next up came the flooring and carpets. The kids' room by this time was looking a great place to chill out with Cassidy's colour selection! Our room will just stay white, with black and red furnishings. Eventually meh

photo-40.jpg

photo-29.jpg

photo-27.jpg

Then lastly the lounge got (virtually) finished. I say virtually as I still have the skirting boards and architrave to fit yet. But after two weeks of stripping, cleaning, knocking out walls, sweeping, moving rubbish and decorating, we could finally move stuff in.

photo-42.jpg

photo-43.jpg

DSC00877.jpg

Like I say, we're not quite there yet, but at least I managed to get a big chunk of the work out the way before we got in here. We still have dozens of boxes to unpack and find out where everything is going, but at least the kids have their room and they've settled. A little too well lol

photo-45.jpg

So the mission continues, new light fittings are needed, the bathroom needs ripping out and replacing, doors need replacing, new bedroom furniture is needed... I won't go on anymore. But this is why I haven't been around for a couple of weeks or so, and if you see any sales threads come up from me, this is what it's funding as so far it's bled me dry and I'm now officially broke.

At least my comics made it it one piece, although my slab pile is ever dwindling :cry:

DSC00882.jpg

DSC00881.jpg

Wow!!! Looks like you have been working your AZZ off! You have a lot to be proud of, the house is looking great. Congrats on your new place and all the hard work you've put into it.

I love the girls' room, so cute.

Awesome Gav!

:applause:

I had the best moving in present Jerel. I had all my mail forwarded from the old address, and it was a bloody good job otherwise I'd have never recieved that signed Loke & Key COS hardback you sent me (worship) (worship)

Man, Gav, that must have been so much work. It really looks great. Congrats. And your kids look great, too. They must favour the wife. . .

I've literally been working 16/17 hours a day to get done what's been nailed so far. The worst thing was that as soon as I'd hung the last blind, I was tearing back to the flat to start moving stuff. Then three days of moving (the 'guy with the van' let me down meh ), so most stuff got carried round by hand as it wasn't to far away. See that computer desk? I carried that round in one piece by myself and it nearly crippled me :cry:

And you obviously haven't seen my wife :sick:

Awesome Gav!

:applause:

I had the best moving in present Jerel. I had all my mail forwarded from the old address, and it was a bloody good job otherwise I'd have never recieved that signed Loke & Key COS hardback you sent me (worship) (worship)

I'm so happy you got it! I thought it might have been lost. Enjoy buddy! ;)

Well done, mate! :applause:

That's why I couldn't make it to the opening Nick :foryou::sorry:

Get your sh!te together and you're welcome to make an ad hoc visit whenever you want. (thumbs u

Ne'er an invite was so gratefully received :sumo:

I'm not familiar with the UK system. Is this a rental or did you buy this house? Just curious as that's a lot of work to do for a rental.

I'm not familiar with the UK system. Is this a rental or did you buy this house? Just curious as that's a lot of work to do for a rental.

It's being bought, although if you rent from the local authorities around here this is the state you can expect the places to be in. Seriously.