• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most UNDERVALUED Bronze book(s)?

87 posts in this topic

Don't know if this has come up much...but what do you all think is the most undervalued Bronze Age co0mic or set of comics? I'm talking about a book or group that either have some incredible first appearances, amazing stories, etc...and get no respect when compared to other books/runs. Are there any such books still left?!?!?!

Now that JMS (current writer of Spidey and Rising Stars) has announced he'll be writing a new ongoing Squadron Supreme series in 03, I would have to say Avengers 85 is pretty undervalued right now...

Does my copy of Warlord #1, CGC 9.6 qualify smile.gif

Love that series. A lot of people don't realize Warlord ran for 133 issues. That's a very healthy run. I guess I'm just a fan of the "Conan fantasy" type books.

I just sent to CGC a sweet copy of Sword of Sorcery 1.

"All of them have amazing covers and great guest appearances."

My favourite Bronze Age run. #31 has a spectacular cover as well as #33 with Thanos looking at his best. #28 has been a toughie for me in terms of finding a strict NM copy (although the cover is pretty crappy compared to other Starlin issues).

agree with CM #33. Black cover too! I have a 9.4-9.6 copy that I have to send in to be graded. Bought it years ago along with Warlock 10,11 & 15 from the same guy and those all came back 9.6 so hopefully I will luck out. grin.gif

Warlock seems to me to be one of the most under-rated charactors thus the books that he appears in seem to follow as being the most undervalued.

Marvel Premiere tops my list with both the Warlock and the Dr. Strange issues. Second would be the Warlock series itself.

Also very undervalued is the Dr. Strange series.

Could agree with you anymore! The Brunner Dr. Strange stories are superb. Dr. Strange #5 has one my favourite Bronze Age covers (#1 and 2 are no slouches as well!).

Oo, yeah. ooo.gif

Sword of Sorcery by Chaykin and with very early Simonson and Starlin art.

Weird Worlds, first with John Carter by the great Murphy Anderson, then Iron Wolf by Chaykin his-own-bad-self.

Legion of Super-Heroes in Superboy featuring the pre-X-Men Dave Cockrum and later Mike Grell.

Most for under $20 in NM. Very undervalued IMHO.

Cheers,

Z.

One of my all-time favorite artists on a great run. Along with the Sword of Sorcery issue, I also sent to CGC a beautiful Dr. Strange #1. I recently bought issues 2-5 on eBAY in what the seller said was NM, but ended up closer to VF/NM. I think if Dr. Strange were handled correctly, he'd have a very long running series...

Hey how about Neal Adams' run on Batman ?! - The covers are spectacular and the high grade DC stuff is so hard to find. Look at the cover art for 227, 244, 245, 251.....awesome....and some other stuff (books ) that are undervalued :

Defenders 10

MTU 53

Tomb of Dracula 13

Marvel Super Heroes 20

Marvel Super Heroes 12

Superman 233

ASM 135

these are all greatcharacters who need to be revived or a decent writter/artist team to have a resurgence. Love the Starlin books. wish he'd draw in the same style now. Is there any reason that many of the artists who I really loved have changed their artwork so much? I really enjoyed Starlins 1970's stuff or Wrightsons stuff. Frank Miller and John Romita Jr from the 1980's as well but the more recent work from them is lacking. Romita Jr drew a really clean looking Iron Man and Spider-Man run in the early 80's since his work on DD he got way too stylish. Millers stuff now is all splashpages whatever happened to those intricate mutliple paneled pages with the great use of shadow he did in DD? Chet

B Sienkiewicz's & F Miller's art style has metamorphized extremely the last 10+ yrs. Seems like only M Kaluta & BW Smith from the original Studio has maintained there intricate style & lush layouts. Sometimes the inker also makes a big difference in how the current comic art appears.

I think most comic book artists evolve from mimicking other artists/styles to developing their own unique style. Mike Mignola and David Mazzuchelli are a couple great examples of artists who have 'evolved' over time (any others people can think of?).

I really like early Miller stuff, and I think his Sin City stuff is great, but DK2 really disappointed.

Here's a link that has a lot of great info:

Top 100 artists

I agree that Steranko deserves to be higher, but I also I think Ditko deserves to be in the top 10. The amount of work Ditko has done is just staggering, though the quality varies. I was a little surprised at Berni Wrightson's placement and would have liked to have seen Jim Starlin in the top 100.

Yeah. Some of the choices are definately 'suspect'. But, diff strokes for diff folks I guess. To clarify, I wasn't putting Ditko down. He's one of my favorites. I was just surprised to see that he rated higher than Steranko. I think you might be on to something though with the tremendous volume of work he produced.

Chris

wrightson and starlin were two that bugged the heck out of me as well. I can see their argument about wrightson- his work isn't nearly as good as it was back in the day, but to discount that 70s - early 80s work that much is outrageous to me. Same with Byrne.