• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most UNDERVALUED Bronze book(s)?

87 posts in this topic

Byrne is a weird one for me - they were pretty harsh with him, but I do agree with their points in that his work has fallen off quite a bit since his glory days in the late 70s/early 80s.

Their top covers section is quite interesting as well - although there is a lot room for debate (not nearly enough Silver to recent). Check it out if you haven't!

"To clarify, I wasn't putting Ditko down. He's one of my favorites."

Mine too! His Dr. Strange, Creeper and Warren stuff is awesome! (and that spider-dude guy he did too grin.gif)

Byrne is definitely tough. He's actually been terrible for years if you ask me (whereas Wrightson has just been pedestrian,) but he was so good in the 70s/ early 80s that I'm compelled to rank him higher.

I actually looked at the covers earlier today. So skewed towards the GA, it's not even funny. Great choices, just too biased towards the 40s and 50s.

Man...

I know Kirby was groundbreaking, and an originator and stuff, but ranking him as the best all time artist is like saying The Beatles are the best RocknRoll band. I mean, if you take away that they were pretty much the first to do what spawned many, many others, and just look at the quality of their stuff, they are mediocre at best.

From a pure talent and quality of work perspective, Adams and Steranko absolutley blow Kirby out of the water, just like Zepellin and Jethro Tull are waaay better all the way around than the Beatles ever could possibly be.

Everyone and their brother will disagree with me on this point, I know....But deep down, you know I'm right.

"I know Kirby was groundbreaking, and an originator and stuff, but ranking him as the best all time artist is like saying The Beatles are the best RocknRoll band. I mean, if you take away that they were pretty much the first to do what spawned many, many others, and just look at the quality of their stuff, they are mediocre at best."

if kirby/ the beatles stuff was only 'mediocre at best', why would anyone have bothered to copy them? grin.gif

There is no best artist 'cause they sometimes had to work outside their genre - or on quick-buck -or whatever - there are books from my genre with artiosts like Diktko and Kirby where there art was flat and uninspired. Not a negative on them - just a circumstance.

As far as the best music? Nothing in R&R can compete with the best of Blues. It is what R&R is aspiring to, often without knowing it.

Oh - and as far as may absolute favorite music? Zia, Vilayat and Nikhil pretty much sum it up.

There is no best artist

Yeah I agree with that.

As far as the best music? Nothing in R&R can compete with the best of Blues.

Elvis was Rythm and Blues, and Rock, and Country, and Opera, and Pop, and whatever else. That is why he gets my vote for best musician ... the versatility.

Phil

the versatility.

I really hope I am not gonna start a non-comics thing here - OK - I probably am. In my opinion, versatility has little to factor in. The talented musician can cross genres and make it work, if they desire.

But I realize I DID address this to you but was really thinking about a post earlier about R&R - so my bad bad bad.

My favorite Western music is Blues. My favorite all-time music is something most folks here probably don't know - I discovered and started playing it long before I really listened to blues.

SO - anyway - why is my logo still not showing? I even tried re-using my old one that did work and nothing. (Arch?)

Replay to above - the new logo is now showing! Sheesh! (ok - Avatar)

No arguments about Zeppelin, but Jethro Tull? What about The Who or the Stones? grin.gif

Although Steranko and Adams' may have had higher 'peaks' in their work than Kirby, Kirby has a huge mountain range of work. You could also argue that Frank Frazetta and Alex Ross have better stuff than Kirby, but in terms of their contribution to the medium....

Electric flute, baby!

Tull had Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Living in the Past, Bungle in the Jungle, etal.

The Beatles: Yellow Submarine, Help, Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club, and a bunch of other forgettable mediocre songs. The ONLY good song they ever did was Norwegian Wood, which is one of the best songs ever, everything else is no better than say, Styx, or Oasis, or Grand Funk Railroad.

Another group that if it makes you feel better you could substitute for Tull would be Sly and the Family Stone.

Aqualung yes, but there are many other albums you could add to the Beatles list: Abbey Road, Revolver (both are exceptional), Rubber Soul, Let it Be, the White Album etc. If you go beyond their early #1 singles, there is a treasure trove of good stuff with more substance (Helter Skelter, Oh Darling!).

Sly and the Family Stone is a good substitute grin.gif

The Beatles have influenced EVERY band that has followed them....period. Jethro Tull...ummmmmm... I heard they play at Holiday Inns across the country these days. wink.gif

Just because someone/something was influencial doesn't make them good, it only says the idea/concept is good.

And in this case, that is evident.

As for Tull...peole fear that which they don't understand. wink.gif