• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pulps and Paperbacks - ERB, RE Howard, Frazetta, ACE Conans, LOTR 1st Edn's

105 posts in this topic

Here are a few new books for tonight:

The Altered Ego by Jerry Sohl (Pennant P75) - $5

1st Paperback Edition, 1st Printing (December 1954)

PennantTheAlteredEgo.jpg

PennantTheAlteredEgobc.jpg

Now for some Tolkien.................

ACE A-6 The Return of the King (1965) - $20

Cover and title Page by Jack Gaughan

The spine has been cracked but it is otherwise in great shape.

These ACE editions were unauthorized. Here is decent explanation about them online from the ACE Image Library (http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/A-singles.html)

"Historical note: This printing is the reason why the Ballantine editions carried the statement that they were the only authorized editions. These three books made up the infamous pirated edition of the Lord of the Rings (LOTR). There is still considerable controversy surrounding the publication of this edition. At the time they were published, there was no paperback edition of LOTR. ACE apparently requested a license for publication of a paperback but never received a response from the publishers in the United States (U.S.), Houghton-Mifflin, or Great Britain, Allen & Unwin. ACE published an edition without permission and sold thousands of copies in the U.S. Ace apparently made some settlement with all involved, including Tolkien, but the details of this have never been clear. An authorized edition was published by Ballantine. The Ballantine editions carry an authorization statement by Tolkien on the cover. As a result of the controversy, the ACE paperbacks are collectible. Unfortunately, they were made from poor quality paper and will consequently turn to dust in the near future."

ACELOTRReturnoftheKing.jpg

ACELOTRReturnoftheKingBC.jpg

:takeit::banana:

Now for some Tolkien.................

ACE A-6 The Return of the King (1965) - $20

Cover and title Page by Jack Gaughan

The spine has been cracked but it is otherwise in great shape.

These ACE editions were unauthorized. Here is decent explanation about them online from the ACE Image Library (http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/A-singles.html)

"Historical note: This printing is the reason why the Ballantine editions carried the statement that they were the only authorized editions. These three books made up the infamous pirated edition of the Lord of the Rings (LOTR). There is still considerable controversy surrounding the publication of this edition. At the time they were published, there was no paperback edition of LOTR. ACE apparently requested a license for publication of a paperback but never received a response from the publishers in the United States (U.S.), Houghton-Mifflin, or Great Britain, Allen & Unwin. ACE published an edition without permission and sold thousands of copies in the U.S. Ace apparently made some settlement with all involved, including Tolkien, but the details of this have never been clear. An authorized edition was published by Ballantine. The Ballantine editions carry an authorization statement by Tolkien on the cover. As a result of the controversy, the ACE paperbacks are collectible. Unfortunately, they were made from poor quality paper and will consequently turn to dust in the near future."

ACELOTRReturnoftheKing.jpg

ACELOTRReturnoftheKingBC.jpg

:takeit::banana:

Darnation.

Okay, here we go with a few comic related paperbacks tonight.............

Tales from the Crypt 1 (Ballantine Books U2106) - $5

First Ballantine Printing 1964

Reprints classic EC horror stories.

Great shape but there is a small stain in the bottom left corner on the back cover.

TalesfromtheCrypt1.jpg

TalesfromtheCrypt1bc.jpg

:takeit:

I hate to do this again, but PtTuller snagged this on Page 2. :sorry:

Okay, here we go with a few comic related paperbacks tonight.............

Tales from the Crypt 1 (Ballantine Books U2106) - $5

First Ballantine Printing 1964

Reprints classic EC horror stories.

Great shape but there is a small stain in the bottom left corner on the back cover.

TalesfromtheCrypt1.jpg

TalesfromtheCrypt1bc.jpg

:takeit:

I hate to do this again, but PtTuller snagged this on Page 2. :sorry:

5 Bucks was stupid cheap. Thats like less than the cost of lunch. :sumo:

Like I said, I am blowing these out. There are price tags on a lot of the bags that are much higher, and I know I did not pay that for them, but I can't remember the exact prices so I am sure most of these will be sold at break even or a small loss.

Here are the rest of the paperbacks.................

ACE Double D-44 (1954) - $5

Sentinels of Space by Eric Frank Russell; Ultimate Invader and other Science Fiction by Erik Frank Russell, Murray Leinster, Frank B. Long and Malcolm Jameson.

Very nice copy.

ACEDouble44-SentinelsofSpace.jpg

ACEDouble44-UltimateInvader.jpg