• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pulps and Paperbacks - ERB, RE Howard, Frazetta, ACE Conans, LOTR 1st Edn's

105 posts in this topic

And now for the REH finale...............................

Fantasy Magazine #1 March 1953 (Vol. 1, No. 1) GD - $3

Liberty book store sticker in bottom right corner table of contents page.

Features "The Black Stranger", a Conan story by RE Howard and L. Sprague de Camp

FantasyMagazine1fc.jpg

FantasyMagazine1bc.jpg

And now for the REH finale...............................

Fantasy Magazine #1 March 1953 (Vol. 1, No. 1) GD - $3

Liberty book store sticker in bottom right corner table of contents page.

Features "The Black Stranger", a Conan story by RE Howard and L. Sprague de Camp

FantasyMagazine1fc.jpg

:takeit:

Fantastic Universe Science Fiction October 1955 (Vol. 4, No. 3) GD/VG $5

Features the Conan story "Hawks Over Shem" by RE Howard and L. Sprague de Camp.

Kelly Freas cover.

A previous owner put small check marks in pencil beside each of the story titles on the table of contents page. (tsk)

FantasticUniverse1fc.jpg

FantasticUniverse1bc.jpg

Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction February 1967 VF+ $10

Features the Conan story "The Hall of the Dead" by RE Howard and L. Sprague de Camp.

Gorgeous high grade copy that would grade higer but there is a light bend/indent at the top and bottom edge of the back cover that look like faint bundling twine marks from the newsstand stack (easily pressed out if you want to :devil: ) .

FantasyandSciFiFeb1967.jpg

FantasyandSciFiFeb1967bc.jpg

The Grey God Passes by RE Howard with illustrations by Walter Simonson NM - $10

Published by Charles Miller, Columbia, 1975. First separate edition. Near Fine. Printed in stapled chapbook format wrappers, 36 pages, illustrated.

These two "pamphlet style" REH stories (see Two Against Tyre next) had low print runs and appear to have been authorized by Glen Lord, the literary agent for the Howard Estate. My guess is that they did it to retain the copyright on the material. They are cool items nonetheless. (thumbs u

TheGreyGodPasses.jpg

TheGreyGodPassesbc.jpg

Two Against Tyre by RE Howard with illustrations by Steve Fabian NM - $10

This chapbook/pamphlet in illustrated wrappers was published in 1975 by Dennis McHaney. A total of 1500 copies were produced; of these, 600 were printed on deluxe 70lb Stratmhmore Artlaid paper in a numbered deluxe edition; this copy is number 461 of 600.

These two "pamphlet style" REH stories (see The Grey God Passes above) had low print runs and appear to have been authorized by Glen Lord, the literary agent for the Howard Estate. My guess is that they did it to retain the copyright on the material. They are cool items nonetheless. (thumbs u

TwoAgainstTyre.jpg

TwoAgainstTyrebc.jpg

The Grey God Passes by RE Howard with illustrations by Walter Simonson NM - $10

Published by Charles Miller, Columbia, 1975. First separate edition. Near Fine. Printed in stapled chapbook format wrappers, 36 pages, illustrated.

These two "pamphlet style" REH stories (see Two Against Tyre next) had low print runs and appear to have been authorized by Glen Lord, the literary agent for the Howard Estate. My guess is that they did it to retain the copyright on the material. They are cool items nonetheless. (thumbs u

TheGreyGodPasses.jpg

TheGreyGodPassesbc.jpg

And last but not least...................

Almuric by RE Howard - $30 (range is from $35 - $45 for this condition on Abe Books).

Donald M. Grant Publisher, West Kingston, 1975. Hard Cover.

Book Condition: Fine.

Dust Jacket Condition: Near Fine (there is a small bend/crease in the bottom right of the dust jacket on the back cover near the spine)

First hardcover edition.

Originally appeared as a three part serial in Weird Tales magazine in 1939. "Earthman Esau Cairn, a fugitive on his native planet, is transported to Almuric, a barbaric and warlike planet of the remote solar system, where he became Esau Ironhand".

This book came from the same OO collection that the Imagination digests did. He also had the Conan editions, but was asking way too much for them so I passed on the set. Might have been a mistake now in hindsight. lol

Almuricbc.jpg

Almuricfc.jpg

AlmuricDustJacket.jpg

That is finally it and it is off to bed time for me. Thanks for all of the purchases so far. Feel free to shoot me a PM offer on any of the items.

Two Against Tyre by RE Howard with illustrations by Steve Fabian NM - $10

This chapbook/pamphlet in illustrated wrappers was published in 1975 by Dennis McHaney. A total of 1500 copies were produced; of these, 600 were printed on deluxe 70lb Stratmhmore Artlaid paper in a numbered deluxe edition; this copy is number 461 of 600.

These two "pamphlet style" REH stories (see The Grey God Passes above) had low print runs and appear to have been authorized by Glen Lord, the literary agent for the Howard Estate. My guess is that they did it to retain the copyright on the material. They are cool items nonetheless. (thumbs u

TwoAgainstTyre.jpg

TwoAgainstTyrebc.jpg

And last but not least...................

Almuric by RE Howard - $30 (range is from $35 - $45 for this condition on Abe Books).

Donald M. Grant Publisher, West Kingston, 1975. Hard Cover.

Book Condition: Fine.

Dust Jacket Condition: Near Fine (there is a small bend/crease in the bottom right of the dust jacket on the back cover near the spine)

First hardcover edition.

:takeit: per pm... (worship)

Per PM :takeit: the following: :banana:

The Altered Ego by Jerry Sohl (Pennant P75) - $5

The Space Merchants by Frederick Pohl and C. M. Kornbluth - $5

The Funhouse by Benjamin Appel - $3

Untouched by Human Hands by Robert Sheckley - $4

The 27th Day by John Mantley - $4

Year of Consent by Kendell Foster Crossen - $5

First He Died by Clifford D. Simak - $3

World out of Mind by J.T. Míntosh - $3

Mission of Gravity by Hal Clement - $2

The Reassembled Man by Herbert D. Kastle - $5

Out of the Deeps by John Wyndham - $5

Search the Sky by Frederick Pohl & C. M. Kornbluth - $4

Hero's Walk by Robert Crane - $5

Beyond Fiction Fantasy #1 July 1953 (vol. 1, no. 1) VF - $10

Thanks, everyone, for your purchases. I did not know what to expect with this FS thread, but it looks like there is more demand for pulps/digests/paperbacks on the boards than I thought. (thumbs u

As a recap, there are a few items still available. I am open to offers on any/all of them. :baiting:

Page 1

Thrillling Wonder Stories - Winter 1954 - $10, Grade: VG-

Fantastic Story - Spring 1952 VG/FN - $20 (Classic Alex Schomburg airbrush cover)

Fantastic Story - Summer 1952 VG/FN - $20 (Classic Alex Schomburg airbrush cover)

Page 2

Conan the Barbarian Volume 4 VG- $4

Conan the Barbarian Volume 5 FN - $4

Doctor Strange Volume 2 FN - $3 (copy #1) :news:SOLD

Page 3

ERB's The Outlaw of Torn (ACE Printing November 1978) - $3 (FRAZETTA COVER)

Page 4

Conan the Conqueror (ACE 1967) - $4 (FRAZETTA COVER) :news:SOLD

Conan the Warrior (ACE - 11th Printing 1985) - $3 (FRAZETTA COVER) :news:SOLD

Page 9

Fantastic Universe Science Fiction October 1955 (Vol. 4, No. 3) GD/VG $5 (CONAN STORY)

Thanks, everyone, for your purchases. I did not know what to expect with this FS thread, but it looks like there is more demand for pulps/digests/paperbacks on the boards than I thought. (thumbs u

As a recap, there are a few items still available. I am open to offers on any/all of them. :baiting:

Page 2

Doctor Strange Volume 2 FN - $3 (copy #1)

Ooops....can you add this to my stack? :takeit:

Thanks!

Okay, here is the rest of the stuff. I will end this thread off with a bang with some RE Howard items. (thumbs u

First up, an unread OO lot of Imagination Stories of Science and Fantasy - $40

#1 October 1950 (Vol 1, No. 1) FN

#2 December 1950 (Vol 1, No. 2) FN (store stamp back cover so might be second hand purchase?)

#3 Feburary 1951 (Vol 2, No. 1) VF (store stamp back cover so might be second hand purchase?)

#4 April 1951 (Vol. 2, No. 2) VF

#5 June 1951 (Vol. 2, No. 3) VF/VF+

#6 Sep 1951 (Vol. 2, No. 4) VF/VF+

#7 Nov 1951 (Vol. 2, No. 5) VF

#8 January 1952 (Vol. 3, No. 1) VF+

#9 March 1952 (Vol. 3, No. 2) VF-/VF

All of these digests/pulps are in gorgeous condition and appear to be unread. As shown in the scans, there is some waviness starting along the spine due to the squarebound binding glue drying.

Pages are off-white/white to white.

th_Imagination1fc.jpg

th_Imagination5.jpg

The Hannes Bok covers alone make this lot worthwhile! hm