• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for help with info on this OA piece

8 posts in this topic

This is OA I own by an artist named Robert W. Douglass. I'm friends with his daughter and acquired this as a gift from her about 5 years ago.

Mr. Douglass was an Illustrator for numerous magazines including Good Housekeeping, Cosmopolitan, McCalls, Saturday Evening Post, Life, and others. I'm trying to find out more info about this piece of art, including where and when it might have been published. I'd also like to get any opinions on it's value.

The art is painted on a canvas 22"x 27" and has a sticker on the back that says:

SATURDAY NIGHT

by Benjamin Siegel

ill. by Robt. W. Douglass

Thanks in advance for any info the OA experts here might be able to offer.

SatNight.jpg

Collier’s [May 3, 1947] (11" x 14") [PDF:2579]

· What For, Al? · Harry Sylvester · ss; “The jockey had staked everything on a race he never should have ridden.”

· Flight from Fear [Part 2 of 5] · Ketti Frings · sl; “Continuing the story of a woman pursued by jealousy.”

· The Great Confession · Donald Hough · ss; “It seemed everybody wanted to get into the act—of murder.”

· Girl in the Darkroom · Willard H. Temple · ss; “The photographer’s helper developed into anything but a negative.”

· Saturday Night · Benjamin Siegel · ss; “His mother had a chance to wreck his marriage, and she took it.” · Their Skirts Are Made of Gingham · Patrick Breckenridge · vi; “A short story complete on this page.”

(shrug)

Or maybe not.

From an ebay action description from that Issue:

DESCRIPTION:

Wonderful addition to your collection.Complete magazine. condition Vg/EX small tear to back cover. cover by Gianni-Gillam.Ficiton What For, Al? Harry Sylvester Illust. by Al Kortner ss; Flight from Fear [Part 2 of 5] Ketti Frings Illust. by Warren Baumgartner. sl; The Great Confession Donald Hough Illust. by Earl Blossom ss; Girl in the Darkroom Willard H. Temple Illust. by Mario Cooper ss; Saturday Night Benjamin Siegel Illust. by John Holmgran ss;

Spider variant may be correct that it is from here:

Saturday Night, (ss) Colliers May 3 1947; “His mother had a chance to wreck his marriage, and she took it.”

Try to find an issue. Sometimes the illustration doesn't run or something ran in its place...