• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forgive me brothers for I have sinned!!

28 posts in this topic

Just read my posts on the boards over the years and my sig line and you'll see that I am a huge fan of the VF+ VF/NM CGC books. I think they are a great value for the price and alot of the time I can't afford $1000 when I can spend $500 for a NM-. The sin is I've started buying NM copies of cheaper books frown.gif These are like $40 books that I'm spending $250 and it makes no sense but to me it's like crack....I just can't stop. I doubt I'll ever get my money back and I'll never have the best set because of people like Captain Tripps who have sets that are for all intents and purposes unimprovable. Have I lost my mind...on second thought don't answer that.

Oh...God...I fell the need to buy another NM CGC book right now from 1968!!! frown.gif Help me.

Eric

Dude, the first step in dealing with any problem is admitting you have one.

And you're right, paying hyper Guide multiples for common books is a sin. Your soul shall be cast into hades where it can participate with Danny D, Chuck R, and (insert your own personal comic boogey man here) in a rousing game of bridge. devil.gif

Or you can put that credit card back in your wallet and walk away. angel.gif

...it makes no sense but to me it's like crack....I just can't stop. I doubt I'll ever get my money back...

Whatever floats your boat! thumbsup2.gif

Regardless of some people's perspective around here, not every single comic book purchase has to be excruciatingly over-analyzed in the context of whether or not it was a good "comicinvestment". 893naughty-thumb.gif

I know exactly what you mean. I used to love 8.5's and 9.0 but unless I am buying GA books I run from 8.5's like the plague. Now books I want books like ASM 47 for instance in 9.2 or 9.4 when a 9.0 would be almost as nice and woul be had for a fraction of the price. Then when I move up to bronze like ASM 103, I won't even look at 9.2's. I say oh a 9.6 would be excellent. And then I just think wow $500 for a book in which a nice copy I shouldn't even be paying much more than $100 for.

Yes... I too have been sucked into the addiction. It was once good enough that my comics looked to be a nice NM. No longer. Now I fill my nights searching for comics that are at least one grade higher. I can't even look at my Non-NM+ anymore because of the fear I see in their covers from the knowledge that they too shall be replaced. I want to be happy with those that I love, but the need for near perfection is an all consuming fire that singes my soul. All I have to say is 'Thank god I don't have children". They're alot more expensive to trade up on. foreheadslap.gif

I used to collect 8.5 minimum...then it was 9.0...then 9.2...then 9.4...onward to 9.6...true obsession set in and I began to settle for no less than 9.8...9.9 soon followed...10.0 wasn't long after...and now I refuse to buy any book that's less than a 10.2. Why settle for real comics handled by real grubby little hands when I can enjoy ultra-high grade comics which come straight off an immaculate, perfectly-run printing press, freshly minted by my own imagination whenever I want? cloud9.gif

Don't beat yourself up too much (other than I thought you were going to sell all your comics).

I use to buy a lot of Silver-Age more common books in 9.0 & 9.2. But from an investment point of view, it usually doesn't make much sense. Here's why.

-Say you see a very nice TOS #95 in CGC 9.2.

-Say the book usually sells for at least $65.00

-You are able to buy it off of eBay for $50.00 (maybe auctions ends at a bad time). This is over a 20% discount on fair market value.

-You then pay $7.00 to ship the book. So your total cost is now $57.00

-You then sell it on eBay for $65.00 (actual market value).

-You pay eBay around $4.00 and PayPal $2.00. Your total cost is now $63.00

WOW-You made a $2.00 profit buying a book at a 20% discount.

So basically, I now only want to buy book that fair market value is over $100.00. If that means I have to buy a 9.4, then that's what I'll do. If a 9.0 is over $100.00, I might settle for that.

Good luck finding the right way to collect for yourself. I continue to refine (OK, change) my collecting habits every few months.

I think acurately graded RAW VF+ and VF/NM post-66' books are the biggest bargains in the hobby, and I've basically decided to give up buying post-66' slabs(for the most part), and especially post-66' books in 9.4/9.6. The reason is that I would like to eventually get as close to a complete set of 60's superhero marvels in high grade as possible, and if I bought CGC 9.4/9.6 copies of every run of the mill, non-key issue(especially with an expensive title like ASM) it would never get done. I'm in my 20's, and just don't have the resources for that. And even if I do end up gaining the resources to do it, I wouldn't spend that much money on the hobby. It's too insane at those levels, and if you don't have possesion of these high grade 9.4/9.6 runs by now, the ship has sailed, unless you have money to burn "a la" Italian_Treasure. This post-66 stuff is still available raw, in high grade(VF+to NM- anyway) and I defy anyone to tell me that a tight VF/NM isn't a beautiful book. On top of that, you can get some of these raw books under guide if you look hard enough. It just dosen't make sense to me anymore to spend multiples on 9.6 copies of "common" books. And with all the money I can save buying post-66' books raw in the VF/NM range, I can use to build up the war chest and buy the earlier pre-65' stuff that is truly tough in CGC 9.0++.

But that's just me. Because of my collecting goals, this is what will work best for me. If you enjoy buying these 1968 books in 9.4/9.6, and don't care about possibly losing money when the time comes to sell, then just don't worry about it. But IMO, money on CGC graded books is best spent on 8.5-9.2 early S.A(just not right now!!! After the market cools down a bit.....).

I buy what I like regardless of the grade!! My tastes vary so much that one minute I am buying Bronze Age Marvel Keys then Next minute I am buying Platinum Age copies in VG condition. I am a varitable whirl wind in collecting terms so I will probably never complete any collecting goals I set for myself (Just ask Mephisto), but when all is said and done, I look at my collection and I love every book I ever bought!!

I say Buy 9.4's if if gives you the warm and fuzzy no matter what the price, after all you can't take the money or the books with you when you leave this world, and who wants to leave anything to your kids who won't even come and visit you in the nursing home 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

If I never make a dime off of one of them I will go to my grave a happy man thumbsup2.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think acurately graded RAW VF+ and VF/NM post-66' books are the biggest bargains in the hobby

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The absolute smartest thing I have read here in a LONG time.

As a collector, I would say you are absolutely correct.

As an investor, I'm not so sure.

Hey guys... I don't know if this helps or not...

but this was buried in one of my "CGC analysis posts" (nerd-alert)

was this little nugget...

Defining High Grade

Before comparing high grade submissions, it will be important to determine what is meant by the term “high grade” as it is applied to books for each decade. One way to determine a consistent measure of high grade would be to evaluate the grades of books identified in the top half of all universal submissions for each decade. Though 50% may sound generous, the results are consistent with generally accepted definitions of high grade.

Grades for the Top 50% of CGC universal submissions by decade – 01/08/2004

1930s – greater than or equal to CGC 6.0 (50%)

1940s – greater than or equal to CGC 7.5 (54%)

1950s – greater than or equal to CGC 8.0 (51%)

1960s – greater than or equal to CGC 9.0 (46%)

1970s – greater than or equal to CGC 9.4 (49%)

1980s – greater than or equal to CGC 9.6 (55%)

1990s – greater than or equal to CGC 9.8 (35%) *using 9.6 instead requires 67%

2000s – greater than or equal to CGC 9.8 (50%)

Since you guys have mentioned "post-66 books"...

I thought I'd give you a similar breakdown for the 1960s...

1969 - greater than or equal to CGC 9.2 (51%)

1968 - greater than or equal to CGC 9.2 (46%)

1967 - greater than or equal to CGC 9.2 (46%)

1966 - greater than or equal to CGC 9.0 (52%)

1965 - greater than or equal to CGC 8.5 (53%)

1964 - greater than or equal to CGC 8.0 (49%)

1963 - greater than or equal to CGC 7.5 (48%)

1962 - greater than or equal to CGC 7.5 (48%)

1961 - greater than or equal to CGC 7.5 (49%)

1960 - greater than or equal to CGC 7.5 (53%)

Hey guys... I don't know if this helps or not...

but this was buried in one of my "CGC analysis posts" (nerd-alert)

was this little nugget...

Defining High Grade

Before comparing high grade submissions, it will be important to determine what is meant by the term “high grade” as it is applied to books for each decade. One way to determine a consistent measure of high grade would be to evaluate the grades of books identified in the top half of all universal submissions for each decade. Though 50% may sound generous, the results are consistent with generally accepted definitions of high grade.

Grades for the Top 50% of CGC universal submissions by decade – 01/08/2004

1930s – greater than or equal to CGC 6.0 (50%)

1940s – greater than or equal to CGC 7.5 (54%)

1950s – greater than or equal to CGC 8.0 (51%)

1960s – greater than or equal to CGC 9.0 (46%)

1970s – greater than or equal to CGC 9.4 (49%)

1980s – greater than or equal to CGC 9.6 (55%)

1990s – greater than or equal to CGC 9.8 (35%) *using 9.6 instead requires 67%

2000s – greater than or equal to CGC 9.8 (50%)

Since you guys have mentioned "post-66 books"...

I thought I'd give you a similar breakdown for the 1960s...

1969 - greater than or equal to CGC 9.2 (51%)

1968 - greater than or equal to CGC 9.2 (46%)

1967 - greater than or equal to CGC 9.2 (46%)

1966 - greater than or equal to CGC 9.0 (52%)

1965 - greater than or equal to CGC 8.5 (53%)

1964 - greater than or equal to CGC 8.0 (49%)

1963 - greater than or equal to CGC 7.5 (48%)

1962 - greater than or equal to CGC 7.5 (48%)

1961 - greater than or equal to CGC 7.5 (49%)

1960 - greater than or equal to CGC 7.5 (53%)

these are VERY interesting statistics. thumbsup2.gif i was particularly surprised to see the decade of the 60's showing almost 50% of all submissions at 9.0 or higher. your 60's breakdown answered my early 60's question immediately as to achieve that approx percentage you had to drop down to the 7.5 grade. would it be possible to know what percentage of submissions for 1960 thru 1964 collectively, graded at 9.0??

gotta ask though - do you have one of those open topped hats with the green plexiglass bills - i have a hard time seeing you any other way - and i say this with all due respect as a former (now retired) underwriter. grin.gif

your 60's breakdown answered my early 60's question immediately as to achieve that approx percentage you had to drop down to the 7.5 grade. would it be possible to know what percentage of submissions for 1960 thru 1964 collectively, graded at 9.0??

Percentage of books graded at CGC 9.0

1960 - 27%

1961 - 22%

1962 - 24%

1963 - 25%

1964 - 31%

1960 through 1964 simple average - 26%

1960 through 1964 collectively - 27% (1963-64 have the most submissions)

gotta ask though - do you have one of those open topped hats with the green plexiglass bills - i have a hard time seeing you any other way - and i say this with all due respect as a former (now retired) underwriter. grin.gif

Nope. I guess I need to get one, though! grin.gif

Interesting and instructive.

I would be interested in a breakdown of the sixties myself if you have the time.

Looks like the high grade mark was dropping about 1 grade per decade as you step backward from the present, then when you hit the sixties the decline speeds up.

I wonder if it would look something like this:

1960-1963 8.5

1964-1966 9.0

1967-1969 9.2

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(Edited) You just got the previous post in while I was typing this one. smile.gif

(Editied again) I wonder if the sheer volume of low grade but still expensive early Amazing Spider-Mans and Fantasic Fours being graded dropped the averages there in 63 and 64.