• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality

24 posts in this topic

Noticed that CGC responded to the page quality question on the "Ask CGC" forum. What's everyone's opinion on what they will or won't buy now that we have that information? Cream to off-white pages don't seem all that bad anymore..plus they actually go for a little bit less then off-white or better smile.gif

Brian

I guess I never thought that's what they meant by the terms, I just thought it was some type of average color for the page. But it does make sense, plus they've disclosed a little bit of thier mystical grading criteria!

Page quality is secondary to what I look for, but that said, if two books of identical numeric grade are available, I'll take the one with the better pages, even for a little bit more money.

How about te response to the "Restoration Includes" question? It seems to imply that they know all of the restoration on a book and it just doesn't all fit on the label. This sort of contradicts the back label of the slab, where they say that they can't know all of the restoration.

Page quality is secondary to what I look for, but that said, if two books of identical numeric grade are available, I'll take the one with the better pages, even for a little bit more money.

Although, as we discussed in a previous thread, the book with the weaker pages will be structurally superior. CGC has indicated that page quality is included in the grade rather than separate from it, so an 8.5 with OW has better structure than an 8.5 White.

My main concern about page quality is whether or not it affects the cover colors. If the cover is nice and bright, glossy, with no signs of yellowing/tanning, then I could care less if the pages are CR/OW or whatever. For example, I've been looking for a white-covered DD 1 and X-men 3 for a while, and in most cases, lower page quality also means a less-than-white cover, but not always. To me, eye appeal far outweighs page quality, but for hardcore CGC collectors, it's all about the label...

Although, as we discussed in a previous thread, the book with the weaker pages will be structurally superior. CGC has indicated that page quality is included in the grade rather than separate from it, so an 8.5 with OW has better structure than an 8.5 White.

I have a couple of Fantastic Fours (140, 142) that are 9.4s with Cream to OW pages. Does that mean they are structually superior to a 9.6 White? They are pretty damn nice books....

I believe the insinuation that page quality was already factored into the numerical grade was based on someone's face to face discussions with Steve...FF maybe?

I wish I knew the answer - I sold an X-men 45(?) 9.6 OW/W a while back and noted in the auction it was the "best known" copy, and some bozo emailed me and said "You don't have the best copy, I do - it's a 9.6 W!" No question, no comment, no nuthin' other than to tell me his copy was better. Now that I think of it, he might be a board member...fess up!! mad.gif

I think we need a clarification to this one. I dont I can believe that they are factoring in page quality into their numerical grade with Modern/Bronze/Silver books. If they are it must be a very small factor until you get to where the notes are slightly brittle or something to that affect as I do have 2 Gold books that are designated with slittly brittle pages and both look 1-2 grades better than their assigned grade and I cracked one out and its not bad at all just tan pages

I believe the insinuation that page quality was already factored into the numerical grade was based on someone's face to face discussions with Steve...FF maybe?

The previous thread is linked below...

Discussion of page quality...

FF starts the discussion around post 6... referencing discussions with Mark Haspel...

As to Donut's 9.4 C-OW books, I would think they are structurally comparable to a 9.6 W, don't know that they would be better...

That's a very good question as well!

I guess the question to my respected peers is whether they would even consider such a thing as a book with 'Light Tan to Off-White' pages? I have seen hints in other threads that 'Off-White' is the worst that they will go, but does the news that the page quality IS built into the grade change their opinion on this?

I highlighted this one in particular because I am looking for a nice Daredevil 1 CGC 6.0 (see Marketplace). Structurally, from what I can gather, this is a notch or two better than that, but one of it's flaws is the page quality. I think I would feel more comfortable with an Off-White page designation, but this doesn't seem quite as bad now.

Although, as we discussed in a previous thread, the book with the weaker pages will be structurally superior.
I disagreed with that idea in the previous thread, and I still do; my current hypothesis is that the page whiteness only determines the maximum assignable grade. Of course since CGC hasn't said anything about this, I could be wrong. I think the page whiteness only affects the numerical grade in a few instances:
  • When everything else makes the book a 10.0 and the pages are off-white, it's a 9.9 at best
  • When everything else makes the book a 9.9 and the pages are cream, it's a 9.8 at best
  • When everything else makes the book a 9.0 or better and the pages are light tan, it gets an 8.5 at best (I could be wrong about the highest number they'll assign to a book with light tan pages; I'm eager to see examples of copies with light tan pages having a grade of 9.0 or better)

I based this list upon the highest-graded CGC comics I've seen with the various page qualities they list (I had a table containing this data in the previous post). Below light tan I'm mostly clueless because I've only seen one example. The highest-graded book with dark tan pages I've heard of was 7.0 (I didn't see it but someone in this forum said they did); the highest-graded book with slightly brittle pages I've seen was a 6.5 (the often-resold All-Star #8).I especially think that the page whiteness isn't deductive like creases are because I've seen several books with cream pages that would NEVER grade higher if they had White pages. Here's one example:

This 9.2 has two color-breaking 1/8" spine dings on the lower-left spine. I don't think this comic would ever get a 9.4 even if it had White pages.

I want referring to Bronze age books.Tan pages are acceptable when you collect early Gold or pulps at least to me I prefer white or off white but lets be honest most 60 year old books will be creamy to tan. If you are some zillionaire that can collect only Mile Highs than this doesnt apply to you. If you are one of the rest of us that you take what you can get. Chet

I don't have any tan G.A books..but I only collect Cap's and at 8.0 or better..mostly cream or cream to off-white.

Murph? What Caps? (Pure curiousity) I got a run today (120-130-ish) that are absolutely beautiful! I haven't really been into Caps... but these are some pretty books! I guess I'm asking what are some of the better issues as far as covers and/or stories?