• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New wall-mountable CGC display frames premiered at Motor City!
1 1

45 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2010 at 1:17 PM, mschmidt said:

A window-less room where the lights are only on when I'm in there - I'm not worried:

cbr-main5.jpg

I see one of my books in this pic! 

On May 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM, fantastic_four said:

UV protection built into the frame isn't as important as what mschmidt is saying here--if you're going to hang comics and you don't want the colors to fade, you HAVE to control the light into the area ENTIRELY and keep it dark the entire time people aren't in the room. Sounds simple, but it really isn't. You have to use curtains that allow in absolutely zero light to the room if there are any windows at all...I almost never see people use the right types of curtains, or even if they do, I rarely see them used correctly, the rooms still get bathed with ambient sunlight. It also needs to be a room you don't go into very often, which is the opposite of what you end up wanting--you typically want to show a book off, so people tend to put them in offices, dens, or computer rooms where there's a lot of human traffic that leads to longer periods of light exposure. If you want to hang something in a higher-traffic area, make sure it's something you don't care much about, as you can expect it to fade over a 5-to-20-year timespan. I eventually gave up on this because I go in and out of most areas I'd actually want the comics to hang in, so I just hang low-grade cheapies that present well via the frame--and I'll eventually replace those with larger, poster-sized blowups because they're better than comics for wall-display purposes--they present MUCH better and are easier to see across a room.

As for the interior lighting, low-wattage standard light bulbs are great. I always forget this, but standard white bulbs are flourescent, right? Whereas the long bulbs people use in office buildings are incandescent? Or do I have that reversed? If I'm right that long-bulbs are incandescent, that's not what you want to use around paper and art at all, that type of light fades art--standard bulbs have much weaker light that minimizes fading.

You've got the right idea but have them reversed ...fluorescent bulbs are the long ones and they are the worst producers of dangerous interior light, I have always been told. However, I do not know with certainty that all other forms of artificial light are 100% safe. I need to do my homework!

On 5/17/2010 at 0:26 PM, MagnetoWasRight said:

Wow, your room looks great. I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a uv blocking film you could use to help with fading. I guess if I did this, I'd rotate books often to be safe.

I regularly install UV film on businesses and home windows generally with a tint but there is clear UV film. I would say it's a must for these types of frames