• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New wall-mountable CGC display frames premiered at Motor City!
1 1

45 posts in this topic

I was sitting at the CGC booth at Motor City Con on Saturday, chatting to pirate, when a guy came up to the booth & asked whether anyone was interested in seeing a new CGC display frame he'd created.

It turned out that a friend had told him that there might be a market for an affordable & easy way to hang your CGC books on the wall, so he'd used the tools of the machining shop he worked for to create a single-piece frame where the CGC book is slid into the back & then held in place by rubber stops. The frame is then powder-coated for maximum durability.

The sample he was carrying was a darkish gun-metal grey, but he had two other colors available - a light grey and the black you'll see in my pictures.

I have no affiliation with this guy - I can't even remember his name, to be honest - but I thought this was a super-neat product, so I figured I'd share it with the boards.

He was charging $20/frame (sold out of the back of his car), they're called the "Gradecom" frames, and his contact info is:

http://www.gradecomstore.com

He said the website was still in progress, but that he'd happily take orders over the phone.

new-cgc-frame6-m.jpg

new-cgc-frame1-t.jpg new-cgc-frame2-t.jpg new-cgc-frame3-t.jpg

new-cgc-frame4-t.jpg new-cgc-frame5-t.jpg new-cgc-frame6-t.jpg

Looks like a great product - if it's durable. Could you comment on its sturdiness?

It feels very sturdy, and is heavier than the frame-it-again-sam wood frames I've been using for my CGC books till now. I picked up 6 frames from him at the show - and now I'm kicking myself for not picking up more.

They look great but I wish they hade more support behind the slabb to keep it from potentially popping out of the frame. I would be nervous to pull one of those off the wall.

The slab is totally snug inside the frame - and the two rubber plugs ensure it can't fall out. You've got nothing to worry about :thumbsup:

They look very nice,but nothing would stop sunlight or indoor UV lighting from the comic. (shrug)

That has always been my biggest worry. I've never hung a book on my walls for fear of fading. Has anyone had any experience with this? I worry that even interior light could ruin a book...

They look very nice,but nothing would stop sunlight or indoor UV lighting from the comic. (shrug)

That has always been my biggest worry. I've never hung a book on my walls for fear of fading. Has anyone had any experience with this? I worry that even interior light could ruin a book...

A window-less room where the lights are only on when I'm in there - I'm not worried:

cbr-main5.jpg

A window-less room where the lights are only on when I'm in there - I'm not worried:

cbr-main5.jpg

That is an awesome looking display :applause:

Good looking frames. Do you prefer them to frameitagainsam's frames?

I do - I really like the fact that it's one solid piece, and that all the frames have the same mounting point (which makes it very easy to line them up nicely on the wall).

CGC should offer a case made from UV resistant plastic!!! (if there is such a thing???)

That is thinking outside the box,nice job :applause: Can something like this be applied to the current CGC molding? Thoughts.

CGC should offer a case made from UV resistant plastic!!! (if there is such a thing???)

PVC is UV resistant by default - but plastic that offers 100% UV protection is insanely expensive.

If by some miracle CGC started using it, the grading fees would go up by hundreds of dollars across the board.

I am currently working with a company called GeekBox that is producing UV blocking mountable display cases. They can it up to 16 slabs showing 4 at a time and the case can be locked.

The price is very affordable. I believe before shipping it is around $80.

We are also working on getting CGC behind this by being able to use the CGC name officially with the product.

I think it is great to see people working to put out items to display CGC books!

PVC is UV resistant by default - but plastic that offers 100% UV protection is insanely expensive.

If by some miracle CGC started using it, the grading fees would go up by hundreds of dollars across the board.

Ouch! Nevermind...