• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a couple of questions about the buying in the sales forum

94 posts in this topic

If I see a book that is under-valued to me, I generally won't ask for a discount.When I buy three or four books from a seller, I usually ask for some consideration. If a book is offered at a price I don't want to pay, I'll make a counter-offer via PM. I currently have three counter-offers to board members. Two of them are over 24 hours old, are to members that have been online since my offer, and they have not responded. In all three cases, PMs were invited. Thats poor salesmanship.

Last month I sent a seller a PM, had a reciept that he read it, but he claimed he never got it.

I would consider it very bad form to ask for a discount, then immediately flip the books back on these boards.If I bought a book at full asking price, I'd have no problem relisting it for more.

I've had some people beg and plead for a lower offer than take forever to pay me which is annoying (you know who you are).

Now my regular customers... I look out for them. ;)

Here's a PM exchange about lowballing for an X-Men #94, back in my newb days. Now, while I don't mind lowballers, I do mind when they try to falsely manipulate data to make their offers sounds attractive.

Give me a shout once all the lowballers make an offer.

If you are interested, I could give you a decent mid grade copy and $500 for your 9.0.

Nik

That's the best offer I've gotten so far, and if the book doesn't move by late tonight, I'll probably take you up on it...I need the cash! The offer of a mid-grade is what clinches it though, because I don't think I'd let it go for just that amount of cash. I do love that book and want to keep a copy...this way I can wait for another really nice copy once I get some scratch again.

As far as lowballing goes, I got an offer of $375. He told me the last recorded GPA sale ($536) and mentioned that one sold last year for $400. He did neglect to mention the 90 day average, which is $652. Maybe he thought I didn't have GPA. :D I know it lists for more in Overstreet, but...well, it's Overstreet's wacky pricing.

Who the Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? offered $375? lol

My guess would be {name redacted-think brand-name athletic shoes for pennies} doh!

No problem dude and good luck as I hope you get full asking price for it (thumbs u

You guessed right. Is he a notorious lowballer?

I don't mind the lowballing; I mean, if you don't ask, the answer's no. However, trying to manipulate GPA prices to make your offer look reasonable is kind of questionable imho. I don't think I'd sell to him now even if he offered me Overstreet price. :P

He suks. Just do what I do when someone does that. Remove yourself from the PM, they will get the message.

Looks like you're the best offer! I was offered more by someone, but he has 17 posts total, and all regarding buying/selling stuff. I'd rather sell to an actual member of the community, know what I mean? Anyway, let me know your shipping address, and I'll get it out Monday, Tuesday at the latest. That's assuming you still want it, if not, no hard feelings!

edit: Forgot to ask, do you want to remain anonymous? I know people are going to ask who bought it, but if you don't want anyone to know I totally understand.

No, I will post in your thread that we have a deal and take a shot at that cheap lowballer ;)

Send me your addy and PP info so I can pay and mail your book out also.

Mine is

(redacted)

Nik

:cloud9:

Now my regular customers... I look out for them. ;)

What about your irregular customers...? A good dose of fiber...?

Prunes are yummy! :D

Just wondering what the etiquette is for a low ball offer. Is there a percentage I should stick to.

Fairness.

If the book is one you really need and priced 70% or less of FMV, just jump on it. A lesser offer right away is waste of everybody's time and an insult.

If the seller has a book priced 80% to 100% of FMV, buy it if you really want it and think somebody else is going to snatch it. If the seller has a bunch more books for sale, it may be a good time to see if they will cut you 15-20% discount on a few more books (since you already bought one or more at asking price, they may very well say yes).

If the seller has a book at 80% to 100%, but you kind of want it, or don't think it will move, just let it sit. The seller might offer a discount in the thread or some other incentive to buy. If the thread sits quiet for a few days, that's a good time to shoot them a reasonable offer.

If seller wants way more than you think the book is worth to you, just pass, or if it's sat unsold for a while maybe ask them if there is an amount they would consider taking ( this answers your question and doesn't insult them ).

Lastly if somebody says price is "firm" it means firm, don't waste your time.

In summation; the worst etiquette would be to fire off a request for a discount on a sale that was just posted and the seller was offering a great deal.

I have only bought here, as of yet haven't sold. I know if I do, I certainly won't jump all over an immediate lowball offer.

Some of you are completely full of it. I frequently see books listed for double GPA that just sit. Sure it's the sellers choice to ask what they want but to think a realistic offer to be insulting? What's insulting is these books that are over-priced in our so called "community".

It's too bad really. Over the last 6 months we've had to wade through some over priced stuff lately. Nevermind the whining everyones doing now about their books not selling.

It's bound to happen. If I am asking for a discount, it usually is something along the lines of "free shipping" or GPA FMV.

I've only ever rec'd a few lowball offers that I felt were "insulting". But, you just move on.

No idea what proper "etiquette" is. I will say if you are asking for a discount and then you ask for time payments, that's poor form.

Folks can ask and offer whatever they want, just like we can all think of them as flippers, low-ballers, and greedy SOB's. Where's the dignity people!?!?

Frankly, I'd be embarassed to make some of the offers I've received, or to ask some of the prices I've seen listed here. doh!

Folks can ask and offer whatever they want, just like we can all think of them as flippers, low-ballers, and greedy SOB's. Where's the dignity people!?!?

Frankly, I'd be embarassed to make some of the offers I've received, or to ask some of the prices I've seen listed here. doh!

:applause:

One of the reason why I stopped selling here was the never-ending slew of PMs, making oft-times derisory offers. My time was (and is) limited and having to engage in pleasant and well-mannered communication with somebody who was not interested in paying a 'fair' price, but rather wanted to win the lottery at my expense, was wearing.

Yes, you're entitled to offer what you want...but don't complain if you are consequently thought of as a right tit.

Case in point...after running a long sales thread (around 300 pages, I think :eek: ), I was left with a short-box full of common mid-grade SA stuff. Prices were around 40% of OS, but this wasn't good enough for one boarder who offered 25% of my asking price...pretty much 10% of OS. When I politely thanked him for his interest but declined his offer, he sent PM after PM, advising me that his offer was 'fair', that I wouldn't get better, and that I didn't understand the market. meh

Strangely, the people who bought from me on a semi-regular basis rarely asked for discount or made 'offers'. And now, when I have something of my own to sell, it's usually done via PM with those same people.

Case in point...after running a long sales thread (around 300 pages, I think ), I was left with a short-box full of common mid-grade SA stuff. Prices were around 40% of OS, but this wasn't good enough for one boarder who offered 25% of my asking price...pretty much 10% of OS.

doh!

Where's the "No Kudos for you! :pullhair: " thread?

Stinks that these folks drive away good sellers, but you'll have to let us know when your website goes live (unless I missed it)! (thumbs u

Case in point...after running a long sales thread (around 300 pages, I think ), I was left with a short-box full of common mid-grade SA stuff. Prices were around 40% of OS, but this wasn't good enough for one boarder who offered 25% of my asking price...pretty much 10% of OS.

doh!

Where's the "No Kudos for you! :pullhair: " thread?

Stinks that these folks drive away good sellers, but you'll have to let us know when your website goes live (unless I missed it)! (thumbs u

Web-site isn't up yet, Mike, but there is a 282 page .pdf catalogue available. :eek:

Case in point...after running a long sales thread (around 300 pages, I think :eek: ), I was left with a short-box full of common mid-grade SA stuff. Prices were around 40% of OS, but this wasn't good enough for one boarder who offered 25% of my asking price...pretty much 10% of OS. When I politely thanked him for his interest but declined his offer, he sent PM after PM, advising me that his offer was 'fair', that I wouldn't get better, and that I didn't understand the market. meh

Nick, I told you that figure included shipping. My offer was actually for 7% of OS. Get it right! (tsk)

Nick, I told you that figure included shipping. My offer was actually for 7% of OS. Get it right! (tsk)

lol

I wouldn't have minded so much if it had been you, Jon. At least I could have simply told you to off, rather than attempt to remain 'professional'. :insane:

lol

I wouldn't have minded so much if it had been you, Jon. At least I could have simply told you to off, rather than attempt to remain 'professional'. :insane:

hm:banana:

Lowballing can be insulting. A really low offer I wont respond. I will also cut better deals for collectors over flippers. I understand everyone likes money, but lowballing to flip just bothers me.

I love it when you try to sell books and price them lower than OS (sometimes quite a bit lower than guide) and you still get low ballers offering half of that.

[EDIT] - basically what F_T said above.

There was a dude wearing a shirt at Motor City that had "G-MAN" printed on the back. One person asked me if that was g-man from boards and I said, "No, I haven't seen him low ball anyone yet."

Yes, you're entitled to offer what you want...but don't complain if you are consequently thought of as a right tit.

I'm out of the loop

Has the left tit always been considered superior?