• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A possible ebay scam? What do you guys think?

15 posts in this topic

So I have a list of random books I'm always scouring ebay for just to see if they turn up, which they almost never do. Usually it's a waste of time but so what. However, today I spotted one. So i'm looking at the picture and it kind of looks like the same book in the GCD database. I ask the seller for some additional photos, if there's anything missing from the book, cover attached, normal stuff. And here's the response I got this evening.

"no its all together mayby a tiny cut and in good condition ...in platic wraqpe.."

bad grammar = check

poor spelling = check

no additional pics available and almost no detailed information = check

I'm not terribly computer savvy and don't have the tools or the eye to pick up subtle differences in books. So anybody want to chime in here? Does this look like a straight up image swipe from GCD?

If so, then why this book? Why something so obscure? I don't know, maybe it's legit. (shrug)

Seller's ebay name is piekje1. Been on ebay for 6 years, only 7 transactions (100%). Not currently selling anything else. 2 transactions in the past 6 months.

ebay link..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270580191450&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

GCD image

32611.jpg

I'll be honest, i'm sort of scratching my head on this one.

Yep, it's a swipe of the GCD image. I'd guess he has "some" copy of the book but isn't providing scans for whatever reason. So... it's a gamble.

It's a total scam. He has one feedback as a Seller - the buyer for the transaction is source4stands with a feedback of 342. Every single one of those transactions is as a Buyer from seller sabbashop and a couple of other ones. 342 transactions from just a few distinct sellers? No way does this add up.

Sorry but I would not take a chance

Yep, it's a swipe of the GCD image. I'd guess he has "some" copy of the book but isn't providing scans for whatever reason. So... it's a gamble.

Agreed. Looks like a swipe

I know it doesn't come up often, but I'd pass on it after the swipe and vague/poor communication.

I asked for additional pics or scans as well. We'll see what response I get.

If so, then why this book? Why something so obscure? I don't know, maybe it's legit.

If you're willing to risk possibly losing $100, then give it a try. Of course you could always file a SNAD and/or PayPal dispute if it doesn't work out. But you'd still be gambling on the possibility of a big headache.

You gotta love the description of condition at "fine/good." So it's somewhere between 2.0 and 6.0. Okay, then. At least he didn't say "NM."

If you contact somebody and they can't be bothered to provide a photo, that is a red flag. Very ironic that what he's selling is "Sure-Fire Comics."

why not email the seller asking them the question of why they are using a stock photo and if they have a "real" photo of the book they can provide (thumbs u

why not email the seller asking them the question of why they are using a stock photo and if they have a "real" photo of the book they can provide (thumbs u

+1

He may have trouble typing an answer lol.

" No Returns Accepted"= Run as fast as you can grasshopper!

DRX

Hey Rick.

Yeah, I asked for additional photos. He didn't bother to address that particular request. Either that or I suppose i'm to assume more pics are unavailable b/c the book is sealed in "platic wraqpe" I guess the "Q" is silent. lol

If so, then why this book? Why something so obscure? I don't know, maybe it's legit.

If you're willing to risk possibly losing $100, then give it a try. Of course you could always file a SNAD and/or PayPal dispute if it doesn't work out. But you'd still be gambling on the possibility of a big headache.

You gotta love the description of condition at "fine/good." So it's somewhere between 2.0 and 6.0. Okay, then. At least he didn't say "NM."

If you contact somebody and they can't be bothered to provide a photo, that is a red flag. Very ironic that what he's selling is "Sure-Fire Comics."

I'm not really buying anything right now and momma didn't raise no complete, ing, dumb azz so I had no intention of going after this given the seller, lack of info, image swipe, etc....

I just thought I'd dig a little and post here to raise some awareness.

It still cracks me up that he'd pick such an obscure book to pull this with. As someone else mentioned, maybe he does have a beater copy and is just using the image to try and slip one past people.

Of course I also wonder, if he's got very little comic experience, how'd he even know about GCD? I only learned about it through this forum. Never even heard of the database until last year.

I must be incredibly bored to be concerning myself with this. lol

Hey Rick.

Yeah, I asked for additional photos. He didn't bother to address that particular request. Either that or I suppose i'm to assume more pics are unavailable b/c the book is sealed in "platic wraqpe" I guess the "Q" is silent. lol

I figured you would have, but wanted to put that out there, just in case :baiting:

if he doesn't have or won't provide further pics, I would stay away