• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 1, Tec 27 $1 million+ sales plot point in last night's Law & Order

12 posts in this topic

I'm a longtime L&O fan so this caught my attention... a businessman who invested in comics as a sideline was murdered, the comics stolen. During the investigation one of the suspects who was a partner in the investment told the detectives he was checking around on the performance of his investment because he'd heard about the $1 million Action 1 sale.

Among the titles mentioned as part of the stolen collection were All American, All Flash, Green Lantern, as well as some made-up titles.

Later, one of the detectives says to his partner "Did you hear Batman beat Superman? The first Batman just went for $1.075 million."

Sadly, when it came time for the trial portion of the show, they opted to show a mock-up of a bogus comic book inside a 9.6 cgc case.

Anyway, fun episode.

Normally I don't watch crime shows but my wife said I'd like this episode. She loves L and O and had read about this episode. She was right. The underlying comic collector theme kept me interested.

Worth watching online if you can.

Normally I don't watch crime shows but my wife said I'd like this episode. She loves L and O and had read about this episode. She was right. The underlying comic collector theme kept me interested.

Worth watching online if you can.

I have never watched that show, what station (nbc, cbs or abc) carries?

if cbs, then we are sol, as they don't reshow the shows on line...but nbc and abc do hm

I'm a longtime L&O fan so this caught my attention... a businessman who invested in comics as a sideline was murdered, the comics stolen. During the investigation one of the suspects who was a partner in the investment told the detectives he was checking around on the performance of his investment because he'd heard about the $1 million Action 1 sale.

Among the titles mentioned as part of the stolen collection were All American, All Flash, Green Lantern, as well as some made-up titles.

Later, one of the detectives says to his partner "Did you hear Batman beat Superman? The first Batman just went for $1.075 million."

Sadly, when it came time for the trial portion of the show, they opted to show a mock-up of a bogus comic book inside a 9.6 cgc case.

Anyway, fun episode.

That`s amazing. I thought they filmed the shows so far in advance that all the episodes for this season would`ve been in the can by the time the big auctions happened. I can`t believe that a show that aired in May had its -script written to take into account events that happened in late February and was still being filmed in late February or early March, considering all the post-production work that still had to be done.

What would they have done with the plot if the auctions had turned out to be duds?

What would they have done with the plot if the auctions had turned out to be duds?

SPOILER

It could be that they had an overall plot and they just lucked into something that really sold it -- The big dollar sales were mentioned as a way of solidifying the idea that the comics were worth serious money. The victim was involved in a scheme with his friends/partners to hide assets from their wives in divorce proceedings. The scheme was complicated and eventually fell apart, but it came out during the trial that the murderer stood to lose a couple million during his divorce.

I have never watched that show, what station (nbc, cbs or abc) carries?

if cbs, then we are sol, as they don't reshow the shows on line...but nbc and abc do hm

NBC, Law and Order Season 20 episode "Love Eternal"

That`s amazing. I thought they filmed the shows so far in advance that all the episodes for this season would`ve been in the can by the time the big auctions happened. I can`t believe that a show that aired in May had its -script written to take into account events that happened in late February and was still being filmed in late February or early March, considering all the post-production work that still had to be done.

I have a friend who works on CSI as a lead editor

when I was in LA 3 weeks ago, I went over & watched him editing and then we went & saw some filming.

they have just a 3-4 week lead-in. the episode he was editing was on last week, The episode they were filming is this week.

I'll have to check that out on-line as well.

My favorite for ridiculous real-life turnaround was when the Terry Schiavo case in Florida hit a few years back. South Park referenced it within _five days_ --rest of the episode was brilliant too, as the whole thing was an adaptation of "Ender's Game" with Kenny being the best ever at PSP. When he falls into a coma, he ends up leading heaven vs. hell via the video game.

I kid you not--I was a 1L in law school when the Terry Schiavo case broke. We discussed it in Con Law; South Park episode aired the next night. Parker and Stone have confirmed that they often are still writing Monday-Tuesday for new episodes that air Sunday.

Speaking of which, did anybody see the Dateline NBC piece (here's the link) about the "Comic Book Murder," which ran in 2008 and was repeated a couple months ago? People who attended the Pittsburgh Comic-Con over the years probably met the murderer.

It's about the 1990 murder of Barbara George by her husband, Michael George, who ran a comic book store in Michigan. Barbara clerked at the store, and she was shot in the head while behind the counter. Michael George claimed it was a robbery and said there were two boxes of high-end golden-age comics missing (upon which he collected insurance of $30k, plus $130k on his wife's life insurance). The police investigation was shoddy, and no charges were brought against Michael even though he had a lame alibi and the robbery appeared to be faked. Turns out Michael had a girlfriend and was feeling trapped in his marriage, or something, so he killed his wife in order to start over. Soon Michael George moved to Pittsburgh with and married his girlfriend, who became Renee George. He opened a new comic-book store and even started a regional convention, the Pittsburgh Comiccon. He lived what appears to be a happy life for many years, until in 2007 cold-case investigators decided to reopen the files and look for evidence they could use to prosecute Michael George. The Dateline NBC show is very compelling and almost plays out like a story in an EC horror comic, minus the gruesome ending (though Michael's eventual behavior in court is pretty unpleasant).

I have a friend who works on CSI as a lead editor

when I was in LA 3 weeks ago, I went over & watched him editing and then we went & saw some filming.

they have just a 3-4 week lead-in. the episode he was editing was on last week, The episode they were filming is this week.

Wow, had no idea. (thumbs u