• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where did the Comic Code go?

56 posts in this topic

comics_code.gif

I have never wanted a tattoo, but IF I were to get one, that would be pretty cool.

I did meet a guy who had the bar code for a 6 oz can of spam tattooed on the back of his neck. That was outstanding as well.

I've noticed lately that the "Approved by the Comic Code Authority" stamp is gone from both Marvel comics and Archie Comics (which have had them from the get-go). What happened to them?

It was put on in the first place to prevent Congress or state governments from placing restrictions on comic books being sold to kids due to all the violent content in books in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Since comics went to direct market distribution in the 1990s kids don't buy them in supermarkets anymore, so the purpose of the code became moot, hence the companies dropped it. It needed updating anyway to keep up with the times, but it wasn't worth updating, so it was dropped. If a comic has overly explicit content the publishers often label it as such anyway, like Marvel's "MAX" line.

I've noticed lately that the "Approved by the Comic Code Authority" stamp is gone from both Marvel comics and Archie Comics (which have had them from the get-go). What happened to them?

It was put on in the first place to prevent Congress or state governments from placing restrictions on comic books being sold to kids due to all the violent content in books in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Since comics went to direct market distribution in the 1990s kids don't buy them in supermarkets anymore, so the purpose of the code became moot, hence the companies dropped it. It needed updating anyway to keep up with the times, but it wasn't worth updating, so it was dropped. If a comic has overly explicit content the publishers often label it as such anyway, like Marvel's "MAX" line.

I love those labels that advertise explicit content ever since the days of 2 Live Crew. Those "Parental Advisory Explicit Content" stickers are well worth their money, they always increase sales. I remember as a teenager those CD's always got purchased first!

Any idea which book first sported the label? When I first started buying back issues I was amazed how big the original code stickers were, and its interesting to atch how they shrank over the years.

I always got a laugh out of the "coincidence" that has Captain Marvel 29, wherein the Captain becomes the Cosmic Defender, issued with a cosmic code typo.

Any idea which book first sported the label? When I first started buying back issues I was amazed how big the original code stickers were, and its interesting to atch how they shrank over the years.

I always got a laugh out of the "coincidence" that has Captain Marvel 29, wherein the Captain becomes the Cosmic Defender, issued with a cosmic code typo.

I thought the Cosmic Code "typo" was in Strange Tales 179.....

82854655732.179.GIF