• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are first apperances considered so much more attractive than 2nd and 3rd?

59 posts in this topic

Sorry but this has to be one of the dumbest questions I've seen on here.

Next question: Why are comics in NM condition worth more than those in VG condition? :screwy:

Ok, I'm game . . . Why? :grin:

The rare exception where a second appearance is more attractive than the first:

First Sky Girl splash page by Alex Blum from Jumbo Comics 68:

skygirl1.jpg

Second Sky Girl splash page by Matt Baker from Jumbo Comics 69:

skygirl2.jpg

I'll take Baker over Blum any day.

Remember your first shag? :cloud9:

Remember your second? (shrug)

Asked and answered. (thumbs u

I remember the second!!

There was a chandelier she hung from.....

We don't wanna hear first cousin stories...we talkin serious here man...

If you cant keep it in your pants keep it in the family :devil:

:roflmao:

This is an easy one:

Around the mid-80's or so, the sportscard dealers enveloped the much-smaller comic market en masse, bringing with them their "rookie card mentality".

At that point, all kinds of books were broken out, values skyrocketed, and collectors pored over old books looking for undocumented first appearances. Even second, third, etc. appearances went from commons to broken-out books. Look at Sabretooth for how far this insanity went.

Prior to that, #1 issues and hot artists with the most popular, along with the ultra-key GA and SA books - don't believe me? - in the mid-to-later-80's the Punisher Ltd #1 was worth more than ASM 129 and Thor 337 was the most valuable book in the entire post-JIM run.

This is an easy one:

Around the mid-80's or so, the sportscard dealers enveloped the much-smaller comic market en masse, bringing with them their "rookie card mentality".

At that point, all kinds of books were broken out, values skyrocketed, and collectors pored over old books looking for undocumented first appearances. Even second, third, etc. appearances went from commons to broken-out books. Look at Sabretooth for how far this insanity went.

Prior to that, #1 issues and hot artists with the most popular, along with the ultra-key GA and SA books - don't believe me? - in the mid-to-later-80's the Punisher Ltd #1 was worth more than ASM 129 and Thor 337 was the most valuable book in the entire post-JIM run.

Where you been, gramps?

- in the mid-to-later-80's the Punisher Ltd #1 was worth more than ASM 129

This has never, ever been true. Never, ever, not once, not for a minute, never.

MAYBE when the book first came out, and there were copies of Spidey #129 in back issue bins for $1, and cover price for the #1 was $1.25. MAYBE then.

But anytime much later than that...? Not a chance.

(thumbs u

MAYBE when the book first came out, and there were copies of Spidey #129 in back issue bins for $1, and cover price for the #1 was $1.25. MAYBE then.

(thumbs u

I agree with RockMyAmadeus 100% (thumbs u

(thumbs u

I understand the point being made here, but obviously I also agree that ASM 129 and earlier Thors were still worth more than Punisher Ltd. 1 and Thor 337. However, both books were super hot at one time -- when ASM 129 tanked so did all the other Punisher appearances.

Get our your OS and OS updates then, as I posted scans awhile back. I think the Ltd series #1 was $5-$6 and ASM 129 was $4-$5 - or something like that, around 1986-87.

I understand the point being made here, but obviously I also agree that ASM 129 and earlier Thors were still worth more than Punisher Ltd. 1 and Thor 337.

Hey, I'm just talking about what was in OS at the time.

I posted that Thor 337 question as a trivia, and I think Shad looked it up to be sure, as he didn't believe it either. Those early Thors were DOA in the mid-80's.

I find it hard to believe you could actually buy a Thor 126 in NM- for $5 but a Thor 337 would cost you $6.

My point is, that's like saying that just cause OS printed it, that's automatically what they were selling for at that time period.

I find it hard to believe you could actually buy a Thor 126 in NM- for $5 but a Thor 337 would cost you $6.

My point is, that's like saying that just cause OS printed it, that's automatically what they were selling for at that time period.

But I bet the Thor 337 went for more than that $5 and made way more money then Thor 126 during that era, its not only about supply,let`s not forget demand and Thor 337 was one of the hottest issues in the 1980`s for a good three year period. I wish MarvelDC would put out a comic now that would get that hot and make money. Back then Thor 337 was like printing money. ;)

Heh, I remember galloping around to every store I could think of and buying all the Thor 337's I could snag when the newsstand editions came out, got lots and lots of them for cover price.

Three weeks later I was wholesaling them to comic stores for $3 apiece. Back when I was making 8 bucks an hour at my regular job that was some pretty serious cash

In fact, in the mid-80s, SA was deader than a doornail. All the money was in B&Ws, Punisher after the limited series, Wolverine after the limited series, new X-Men, Miller, and Simonson Thors. Then the whole B&W debacle crumbled, GA roared back, and SA followed around 1989 or so.

Having said that, it wasn`t easy to actually find NM-ish copies of Thor (or any SA Marvels) at Guide prices. You could go to a con or mail order catalogs and find SA books at NM- Guide prices, but in most cases they`d be VF at best, and even restored (without being disclosed, of course).

Heh, I remember galloping around to every store I could think of and buying all the Thor 337's I could snag when the newsstand editions came out, got lots and lots of them for cover price.

I did the same thing. But my local shops(Fat Jack's and Comic Investments) had so many copies in storage that they didn't need mine. :sorry: