• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Iron Man 2 Hint at Namor The Submariner?

45 posts in this topic

Assuming the funding frenzy for comic films continues, I could easily see Namor being a film, as he is an integral character in both time frames (as is cap); as well, as tied into all the major silver screen titles.

As for the hidden eggs, I think most are a bit reaching. I like to think Dr. Doom drifting in to the sea at the last FF film ties in very well with Namor.

hm

I just don't see a namor flik, and i think the references may be reaching a little

You may not see a Namor flick--seems like a stretch to me as well to expect him to be popular to a general audience--but Avi Arad does, he told the press years ago they were planning movies based upon Marvel's second-tier heroes and villains and explicitly listed Sub-Mariner as one of those with a film being planned. Have they dropped or totally scrapped those plans at this point? Probably nobody knows. (shrug)

The references in that article were reaching a bit, at least with likening the Oracle corporation tie to Namor's reference to Oracle in the comic, but that little newspaper clipping on the wall about Atlantis being discovered and the "area of interest" on the SHIELD map that looks like it might be Atlantis seem to be definite references to Namor--although not necessarily to a Sub-Mariner film. Just because there are signs of his existence in Iron Man 2 doesn't mean he'd necessarily get his own film--they could have just stuck that stuff in as little hooks to make us fanboys go "COOL!" or they could have him in mind as the next villain in Fantastic Four.

A Submariner flick would be bad as hell,

very costly, but bad as HELL!

(worship)

That's the exact adjective that was coming to my mind, as well. hm

(worship)

The initial mockup image I made a while back is the clincher.

67086.jpg

disney banking on marvel studios

Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Bob Iger got right to the point in a conference call last week to discuss the company's financial performance with Wall Street analysts.

"Let me start off by saying how thrilled we are with the global success of 'Iron Man 2,'" he said. "It makes me even more enthusiastic about the great things that Marvel and Disney can do together."

"Iron Man 2" was put into production before the Burbank entertainment giant acquired the comic book publisher turned movie-maker in December for $4 billion. But it nonetheless epitomizes Iger's strategy for Disney: build "brands" on the big screen that can earn more profits through sequels as well as spin-offs including toys, television shows, digital media and theme park attractions.

The big question surrounding Marvel since the acquisition has been how much value its library brings to mainstream audiences that have never heard of Namor the Sub-Mariner, Dr. Strange or Ant-Man.

The big question surrounding Marvel since the acquisition has been how much value its library brings to mainstream audiences that have never heard of Namor the Sub-Mariner, Dr. Strange or Ant-Man.

No one had ever heard of the Incredibles or Shrek before they completely blew up into multi-movie uber-franchises. A movie doesn't have to have a known protagonist. It just has to be good.

No one had ever heard of the Incredibles or Shrek before they completely blew up into multi-movie uber-franchises. A movie doesn't have to have a known protagonist. It just has to be good.

You've got a lot of heart Sean. I know because I can see it from here.

(worship)

The initial mockup image I made a while back is the clincher.

67086.jpg

:o

I agree with this 100%!! (thumbs u

You've got a lot of heart Sean. I know because I can see it from here.

I see what you did there.

If you really want to keep this line of "humor" alive, you need to post the picture of the action figure from the 70's that had the clear plastic over the heart and lungs so you could see them work.

Iron Man is mostly in that same boat, he's not a name known to general audiences before Favreau brought him there. Iron Man, the Incredibles, and Shrek all had desirable aspects to their character that appealled to a mass audience...what's Namor got? In the comic he's kind of unlikable--aloof, arrogant, mean-looking with the arched eyebrows...there might be something there, I just can't see what it is. (shrug)

Iron Man is mostly in that same boat, he's not a name known to general audiences before Favreau brought him there. Iron Man, the Incredibles, and Shrek all had desirable aspects to their character that appealled to a mass audience...what's Namor got? In the comic he's kind of unlikable--aloof, arrogant, mean-looking with the arched eyebrows...there might be something there, I just can't see what it is. (shrug)

If I were going to do a Namor movie, I would do it that he surfaces as the result of a man-made disaster that is threatening Atlantis. First he works with us to stop the disaster. Then he wants to go after the bad corporation that caused the disaster which causes him to fight with our military and then eventually SHIELD or the Avengers or whatever. Finally the bad corporation is shown to be a front for HYDRA or the Maggia and they have been using their technology to mutate animals and he fights Tiger Shark or Orka before taking them down. Say hello to a half billion gross worldwide, baby.

Namor has all the makings of a fantastic archetype for cambell's hero's journey formula, which incidentally, most screenwriters follow. One of the thingss I really liked about the TTA quest storyline was that it followed the archetypal journey to a T.

Also, you have so many great elements to work with..

1) He's different, outsider, 1/2 human 1/2 atlantean, spock thing going.

So, he's struggling to integrate and/or choose between both worlds (which would be a great internal struggle during a major war).

1a) There's every orphans dream to find his true parents... Imagine finding you were

half human in the midst of a war, whereby your 'people' consider the surface world greedy enemies. Violins, moving music.. cut to tears.

2) We could open with some greedy speculators finding atlantean treasures; thoughtlessly murdering a few atlanteans that object, leading to a cataclysmic war; similar to avatar anyone?

3) And speaking of Avatar, special effects would play a big role in creating the water world (no pun intended) the way it should be done, with beautiful fish/scenery as a backdrop.

4) Human/Non-Human love interest would be what pulls him towards helping the surface world. Love triangle potential, anyone?

5) It would be a marketing bonanza for disney, looking to refresh the little mermaid franchise. Toys galore, with fish, playsets,etc.

6) So many marvel (disney :idea:) tie ins it isn't funny.

7) He agonizes over being good/bad...

8) He's got the neo /simba complex, as a young namor would be searching to find his role as a predestined "king' of Atalantis... What would a true king do, thrown into a major surface/water war (fish out of water?).

9) Clearly, he isn't too happy with the surface world people, considering they dragged him into a major conflict, although he realizes not all are bad. So he chooses to stay with his people, with the provision that s dwellers stay away (and we know that will never work).

Not that I think he's the greatest character from a fanboy POV, or anything, just that the potential is definitely there for a big screen treatment.

My POV.

2c

And constantly pining over a married woman.

A truly great character zzz