• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Things have been a lot more mellow around here recently

143 posts in this topic

Perhaps JC was banned because he was a shill account for CI... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A 6,000+ post shill account... but technically a shill account nonetheless... confused-smiley-013.gif

It wasn't a "shill." Remember? It was his "friend's" account that he just took over.

Egads! You're right! Another self-imposed exile? confused.gif

Egads???? Who uses the word "egads" any more...... sumo.gifgrin.gif

Jim

Gadzooks, man! Don't you know that 'yecats' and 'leapin' lizards' are copyright protected!?!

Did Ian create those terms also?? FOAD!

Lighthouse

you can add me to the list of people who like the forum better with JC around... But then I like all the unrepentant troublemakers on the board... like Joanna... and blazingbob... and bronzebruce13... and TomG

You have got to be kidding? I like Joanna, blazingbob, bronzebruce13( I don't know who Tom G is) but the Forum cannot stay in peace with certain members around. The bottom line is that while we are all participants here in this venue of cyberspace, you are still accountable for the words you post. Of course this includes me( for the knit-pickers out there) and while I will never apply for cyberspace sainthood, I mean what I post and have tried very hard to improve relationships online. The previously mentioned quest is much more easier when the more confrontational members are not present.

I still maintain to this day that a lot of messages get "misinterpreted", but then the not-so-nice ones still can "spin" posts to fuel their fires and grind their axes. Almost a no-win situation ONLY when faced with the ones who intend to cause grief.

CAL hi.gif

it's like the yin and yang, it's like the devils advocate, it's like the odd couple, etc. thumbsup2.gif

Fine, I'll become the next JC. And so, the Dark BOC Saga begins.............. mad.gif

Sweet!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll be you:

popcorn.gif

Can I be Greggy:

sumo.gif

Lighthouse

you can add me to the list of people who like the forum better with JC around... But then I like all the unrepentant troublemakers on the board... like Joanna... and blazingbob... and bronzebruce13... and TomG

You have got to be kidding? I like Joanna, blazingbob, bronzebruce13( I don't know who Tom G is) but the Forum cannot stay in peace with certain members around. The bottom line is that while we are all participants here in this venue of cyberspace, you are still accountable for the words you post. Of course this includes me( for the knit-pickers out there) and while I will never apply for cyberspace sainthood, I mean what I post and have tried very hard to improve relationships online. The previously mentioned quest is much more easier when the more confrontational members are not present.

I still maintain to this day that a lot of messages get "misinterpreted", but then the not-so-nice ones still can "spin" posts to fuel their fires and grind their axes. Almost a no-win situation ONLY when faced with the ones who intend to cause grief.

CAL hi.gif

I disagree about the effect of confrontational members... We have a tendency to ostracize those people who are confrontational who hold unpopular opinions. But at the same time, we embrace the people who are confrontational about popular ones.

Look at the response supapimp and oldguy get for their actions regarding comic-keys.

Look at the response greggy and I get when we call into question the integrity of CGG.

But meaningful discussion really only occurs between people with differing opinions. It doesn't help the community as a whole when people sit on the sidelines, whether their opinions are currently popular or not.

You are correct that misinterpretation is common on message boards, particularly among those who are less skilled at utilizing graemlins and ubb code to ensure that their message is clear. It takes some people a while to learn how to make their posts carry as much information as their body language and vocal inflection would in the same conversation. That's part of why I don't read too much into the early posts of a new member; it's so very easy to misconstrue what is really being said until they learn the ropes.

Most of the folks here are passionate about their collecting. That passion brings a vitality to the board. And I think it would be foolish to suggest that eliminating confrontational posters would be an improvement.

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people. If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." thumbsup2.gif

it's like the yin and yang, it's like the devils advocate, it's like the odd couple, etc. thumbsup2.gif

Fine, I'll become the next JC. And so, the Dark BOC Saga begins.............. mad.gif

Sweet!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll be you:

popcorn.gif

Can I be Greggy:

sumo.gif

Only if I can have his comics 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Lighthouse

I disagree about the effect of confrontational members... We have a tendency to ostracize those people who are confrontational who hold unpopular opinions. But at the same time, we embrace the people who are confrontational about popular ones

Been there, done that - a particular eBay Board. Pick the individual, and the Forum, and a lot of people can say the same thing and about many Boards. Ostracizing has been done since the beginning of time. Nothing new learned here.

Look at the response supapimp and oldguy get for their actions regarding comic-keys

While true, the facts regarding that now-well-known case and antagonist are clearly in the open and cannot be denied. What would you say if I told you that Comic-Keys has bought from me in the past? What would you say if I told you that he gave me positive feedback and caused me no trouble whatsoever? What would you say if I told you that some of the Forum members here treated me with far less respect than Comic-Keys( whoever he is - Koos or Dupchak) ever did? How does that reflect on me being here as part of this Forum? Am I passionate about comic book collecting? Ask around, better for you if others tell you. A two-fold Bottom Line: 1) you guys DID do a great job exposing the Comic-Keys case and I am on your side - on that issue. I won't ever buy from him. And if you had not done what you guys/gals did here and elsewhere, I might have bought from him sooner or later as I spend quite a bit on the comics he sells; 2) don't misconstrue the response of support of your actions re: Comic-Keys as the basis of validation BASED ON POPULARITY. I would like to think you were RIGHT vs. the WRONG of Comic-Keys. If that RIGHT vs. WRONG were not too popular, would you still make that stand? Probably. I know I would. But the POPULARITY is a poor excuse here.

But meaningful discussion really only occurs between people with differing opinions. It doesn't help the community as a whole when people sit on the sidelines, whether their opinions are currently popular or not

I chose to sit on the sidelines on a few Boards because my stance of defending CGC is not popular on those Boards. They grew tired real fast of my posts. And they did not forget. See that "Rant" Thread. So my past experience tells me that you are wrong on this point. Better to sit on the sidelines or find another Forum. So now I park here. For the time being. For what? So they all can get along in whatever they are into. Why? Better to get along than have the constant fighting. Oh don't take my words for weakness - I can get down in the muck with the best of them and not ashamed of that in the least. But better to get along and find a common bond instead of the finding something to destroy. And this leads to another story for another time : Familiarity DOES breed contempt.

You are correct that misinterpretation is common on message boards, particularly among those who are less skilled at utilizing graemlins and ubb code to ensure that their message is clear. It takes some people a while to learn how to make their posts carry as much information as their body language and vocal inflection would in the same conversation. That's part of why I don't read too much into the early posts of a new member; it's so very easy to misconstrue what is really being said until they learn the ropes

I was here before - and I let my member ID expire as I caught some heat about the Iron Man Subby # 1 one-shot comic I like to collect. There are still a few posts under the "Do Not Delete" that should reflect this. I am still learning some of the ropes here, but like to think I have improved. No one likes being misunderstood. But such is life. Life goes on. But mature adults should be able to get their points across without the name calling, innuendoes, constant belittling and always bringing unfavorable information about the person(s), businesses( CGC) and methods they for whatever reasons are against.

Most of the folks here are passionate about their collecting. That passion brings a vitality to the board. And I think it would be foolish to suggest that eliminating confrontational posters would be an improvement

I disagree in the entirety of the last sentence. Eliminating the problem-children will only IMPROVE this Board and any other Board IMO. Not a humble opinion, either.

juggle.gif

I disagree in the entirety of the last sentence. Eliminating the problem-children will only IMPROVE this Board and any other Board IMO. Not a humble opinion, either.

You'll miss me when I'm gone, you pompous, foul-smelling windbag.