• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMIC BOOK DIMENSIONS

6 posts in this topic

I have a CAPTAIN MARVEL SPECIAL EDITION #1 and a BLACK CAT #1 both of which I suspect may have been trimmed. Does anyone know where I might get the actual, original lengths and widths for these books? I'd love to compare them to the measurements of my books. Thanks, Rich

I have a CAPTAIN MARVEL SPECIAL EDITION #1 and a BLACK CAT #1 both of which I suspect may have been trimmed. Does anyone know where I might get the actual, original lengths and widths for these books? I'd love to compare them to the measurements of my books. Thanks, Rich

You can't tell if a book was trimmed by comparing dimensions. The production process was imperfect, and sizes can vary through the run.

I understand they can vary between different #'s of a run, but do they also differ when comparing the exact same #? That is, are untrimmed BLACK CAT #1s all the same size, or can the exact same #'s also vary in size? If so, how would CGC determine if a book has been trimmed? Best, Rich

I understand they can vary between different #'s of a run, but do they also differ when comparing the exact same #? That is, are untrimmed BLACK CAT #1s all the same size, or can the exact same #'s also vary in size? If so, how would CGC determine if a book has been trimmed? Best, Rich

Yes they can vary in same issue. There is just too much slop in the cutting process for them to be staight and the same size.

I find a good trim job very difficult to detect.

I believe CGC's way of detecting is top secret. They probably consider size,overhang or lack of and centering and compare that with previous books and inside knowledge on size and alignment specifics.

I believe CGC's way of detecting is top secret. They probably consider size,overhang or lack of and centering and compare that with previous books and inside knowledge on size and alignment specifics.

I don't think it's top secret. They use what you suggested, plus coloration and cut patterns. If the pages are offwhite or worse but the edges are white, it's trimmed.