• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miller DD over 100k with the vig

218 posts in this topic

WOW!

I'd guess the winner is a certain sitcom guy, all that TV money, but still. Ridiculous.

I'd guess not. And I agree with Ron...outside of a couple of lots (Crumb, Far Side), the overall auction is on the soft side so far.

WOW!

I'd guess the winner is a certain sitcom guy, all that TV money, but still. Ridiculous.

I'd guess not. And I agree with Ron...outside of a couple of lots (Crumb, Far Side), the overall auction is on the soft side so far.

Definitely soft so far overall, with a few exceptions. It takes two to tango though - wonder who the two were that bid up the DD cover. hm

DD #188 cover:

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7021&Lot_No=92175

The consignor of this cover also consigned the Neal Adams covers. Those just did OK (although fair for 2nd tier Adams covers) and he might have been worried that the overall malaise would extend to the DD cover. He must be doing cartwheels now.

I still don't see a happy ending at $45K for the MM cover, but we'll find out in a bit.

$100K for that cover? That's just downright retarded. I'm sure all the OA Market bulls will dismiss my comment but how about a reality check here? When I see auction results like this I see speculation, manipulation and business. That is not the kind of hobby I want to be a part of. I've seen it happen gradually over the last 7 or 8 years. For me, this is like watching a big slab fall off of my idea of a hobby that I've been watching crumble for some time.

$100K for that cover? That's just downright retarded. I'm sure all the OA Market bulls will dismiss my comment but how about a reality check here? When I see auction results like this I see speculation, manipulation and business. That is not the kind of hobby I want to be a part of. I've seen it happen gradually over the last 7 or 8 years. For me, this is like watching a big slab fall off of my idea of a hobby that I've been watching crumble for some time.

All of that + I don't like DD's hands on that piece. (thumbs u

+2 +3 +4 etc etc (thumbs u

lol.. Ruben.. it's funny.. two minutes ago I sent a buddy a link & called the price "Total Comic Art Retardation"

I'm not an OA bull. I don't disagree with Ruben here. But to put this in perspective with the overall comic hobby...

The ACTION #1 8.0 sold for $1M a few months ago. A short while later, a slightly better copy (8.5) sold for $1.5M. If these sales were real, then that one grade increment difference between the two books (which is what, a tick on the spine?) could buy five of these covers. That's way more ridiculous to me than this result (and I do think $100K for this cover is crazy).

Do we know who bought those $1M comic books? To me, anyone who could drop that kind of coin on comics, could easily do the same with OA. If the hobby reaches that level, I'm also out, realistically and practically.

I agree - just because one can pay $101,575 for a DD 188 cover doesn't mean that one should. As Gordon Gekko might have said: I liked it at $50K; at $100K it's an insult. I'll talk atcha. :blahblah:

Sigh. And a once niche hobby that could be afforded by just about everyone is now becoming the realm of only the rich.

:(

that's been the situation for 15 years.. It's not new. Wjhy do you think the old time collectors have pretty much abandoned the hobby??

it's the new donkeys that pay $1mil for Action #1.. not old time collectors

Sigh. And a once niche hobby that could be afforded by just about everyone is now becoming the realm of only the rich.

:(

that's been the situation for 15 years.. It's not new. Wjhy do you think the old time collectors have pretty much abandoned the hobby??

it's the new donkeys that pay $1mil for Action #1.. not old time collectors

Like I said....what was once a niche hobby that could be afforded by just about everyone is now becoming the realm of only the rich.

This wasn't *as* true 15 years ago. It's all a continuum....

(thumbs u

and I forgot to add that it isn't even a good cover...!!!

I like your honesty on this, but this is why discussions on how 'CRAZY" something is is somewhat relative. I think this cover is TERRIFIC. I mean, a superb cover from such an influential and important run of Daredevil, and I would LOVE to add this to my collection. I think it went for well over what I would have guessed (75k), but THIS type of art is exactly the type of art that I am not surprised by when it goes for an aggressive number. I think a lot of art is WAY overpriced, but this old time collector sees the logic in overpaying for THIS cover a lot more than a lot of other stuff I see for sale.

Scott Williams