• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #1 Sketch Covers (I Am An Avenger) Megathread

3,331 posts in this topic

Bob's sketches are always very clean. The backs of the blanks he works on are usually a different story.

I have two 9.2's from him for that very reason, but I love his work.

True, but the CGC grade make no difference on the value.

Who cares if the sketch cover is an 9.8. (shrug)

Bob's sketches are always very clean. The backs of the blanks he works on are usually a different story.

Sadly it can affect the value. But it doesn't really bother me.

Sadly it can affect the value. But it doesn't really bother me.

Logically not sure how anyone would pay less for it because it is a 9.2 instead of a 9.8.

I would think any seller would not charge less because it was 9.2.

The only reason anyone sends these sketch covers into CGC is to get the authenticity of the sketch itself.

The grade of the comic book itself is just as worthless as watching Tim Tebow play football.

Logically not sure how anyone would pay less for it because it is a 9.2 instead of a 9.8.

Tell that to the ebay community and even though many won't admit it, several people here in the SS room as well. I just try to make the best of a stupid situation by snapping up the unwanted 8.5-9.6 sketches that catch my eye at a bargain. :grin:

there is no question about it. sketches that are 9.8 sell for more money. thats a proven fact.

even when you are talking about legends like simon,romita sr and colan. there 9.2's or even 8.0's sell for good money but the higher the grade the more money those books are sold for as well.

like adam said i know many of the big time sketch collectors on these boards that will let sketches go simply because they dont get a 9.8.

all of that said. its cool to get a 9.8 when you have a sketch done because you know it is worth more. for me it definately is about the art more so then the grade.

Joe Simon - There's a 4.0, 5.5, and a 7.0 painted cover that for me looks better than some others and I put more value to those than the rest if ever they would come out for sale. I like the art, not the grade.

I agree with Spiderman-on-Tilt on this, the only reason I am on to yellow label sketches is for the authentication.

But yeah, there are always people who would go for the grades.

like adam said i know many of the big time sketch collectors on these boards that will let sketches go simply because they dont get a 9.8.

My asking price if I ever sold any of my sketches would not go down because the book is a 9.0 instead of a 9.8.

They just must have OCD because like you and other logical people get the grade on a sketch makes no difference.

Plus from a professional grader everyone on these boards should fully understand having a sketch on a comic book and getting a 9.8 should never happen.

Every sketch damages a book. CGC shouldn't really be giving any of these books any thing close to 9.8.