• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Input Would Be Much Appreciated.

27 posts in this topic

So I've got to the point with the house now where we're pretty comfortable. So read into that there is still a lot of work to be done, and I could do it pretty quickly if I raised the money quick enough. Now I've been looking at my budget, and with the monthly bills nearly doubling with the move, it's apparent something has to give to fund going forwards with the house.

I've been toying with some ideas but don't know where to go. Should I sell off my slabs? All the jewels in the crown are gone, the biggest book I have left is probably a $100 book at best. Should I stop my monthly pull list? Again, that doesn't run too high, maybe around $45 per month. I've looked at titles that I'd like to drop and came up with a a blank, I'm thin on the ground with the pull list anyway.

Should I sell my Walking Dead stuff and pick up the compendiums? Should I sell off my Bats 9.8s I have left? See now I've sold most of my stuff, I feel my collecting focus slabwise lies with Bats anyway, and I think I may cut off other titles and keep them at trades. That way If I solely collected just one character I could cut down that way.

So many decisions, and if I was more patient about the house maybe this wouldn't be a problem. But I want this place nice, and as is usual for me, I want it yesterday.

Should I sell my Walking Dead stuff and pick up the compendiums?

Just my opinion, but you can get a ton for your back issue Walking Dead right now. I'd sell them, rebuy them down the road for less if they are available. Thin the recent back issues, keep the good older stuff that you really like. Trim your subscription books down to those that you truly enjoy reading. Then when the house is done pick up some stuff that maybe you missed.

Just my opinion, but you can get a ton for your back issue Walking Dead right now. I'd sell them, rebuy them down the road for less if they are available. Thin the recent back issues, keep the good older stuff that you really like. Trim your subscription books down to those that you truly enjoy reading. Then when the house is done pick up some stuff that maybe you missed.

Similar to Richard, I'd say for sure sell your Walking Dead books. Sell everything else that isn't crazy important to you. I would cut your weekly pull list down to one title or none at all. Doesn't seem like much money but it really adds up. Anything you don't buy today can be bought for much less later.

That's my 2c

Andy

If you cut your weekly pull list and expect to get the issues cheap in a few

months, you could have a problem. Probably 90% of the books will be ones

you can pick up for a buck a book (or less) in six months. The other 10%

may cost a buck or up to 5 bucks. You will save money. BUT it will cost

time. You could fill in a lot at a local show by going through 40 unsorted

long boxes priced at a buck a book (or less). You may have to repeat this

time and time again until you are down to the few books where you bite

the bullet and pay full price. Then there may still be a few books that take

years to get. It is your choice: money now, or less money plus a lot of time

and frustration.

At least, be warned.

This is what I think you should do also. In fact, I suggest cutting your subscription completely. You can catch up on this reading later when you have the funds and likely for much less cash.

So I've got to the point with the house now where we're pretty comfortable. So read into that there is still a lot of work to be done, and I could do it pretty quickly if I raised the money quick enough. Now I've been looking at my budget, and with the monthly bills nearly doubling with the move, it's apparent something has to give to fund going forwards with the house.

I've been toying with some ideas but don't know where to go. Should I sell off my slabs? All the jewels in the crown are gone, the biggest book I have left is probably a $100 book at best. Should I stop my monthly pull list? Again, that doesn't run too high, maybe around $45 per month. I've looked at titles that I'd like to drop and came up with a a blank, I'm thin on the ground with the pull list anyway.

Should I sell my Walking Dead stuff and pick up the compendiums? Should I sell off my Bats 9.8s I have left? See now I've sold most of my stuff, I feel my collecting focus slabwise lies with Bats anyway, and I think I may cut off other titles and keep them at trades. That way If I solely collected just one character I could cut down that way.

So many decisions, and if I was more patient about the house maybe this wouldn't be a problem. But I want this place nice, and as is usual for me, I want it yesterday.

2c I became a 1st time home-buyer in December of 2009 and have really come to the realization that now as a home-owner I've had to seriously prioritize almost everything in my life. While I don't have a wealth of knowledge yet in this area, one thing many people have told me is, live in the house for awhile before you decide to do serious work. You'll get a better feel for what really you do and don't like about a place and can then prioritize your time/efforts/money in the best way. When my wife and I moved into our place we were going crazy with all the things that we wanted to do, but finally relaxed and decided to "feel things out" more before making serious decisions.

Another thing is, with the current housing market...if you have a list of items that you would like to do to your house, maybe you should pick the things that add the most value to your house first (this is if money is an object for you of course). That way any work you do at least "goes into the bank" of sorts.

I wish you the most of luck in your decision! Worst case scenario, you stop your pull list for some time, and then are able to buy the books as cheaper back issues down the road...That is unless they are Chew #1's or Walking Dead #1's

- bounty

If you have walking deads it can get some $ on ebay in a lot & a graded 9.8 #1 is going in the $500 range these days with the tv show coming up :S You could wait till this October when the show airs & hope its a hit & then sell them ...

I say drop all but a few titles, pick a couple that are you're fave out of the bunch .... & then get the rest in trade or hard cover format down the road... Right now the only two books I support are the walking dead & invincible the rest I get in HC when they come out

I agree with Bedrock. Sell the Walking Deads and get the compendium. You can buy it for a fraction of what the #1 will bring you right now. And the compendium sits on the bookshelf where you can pull it out to read anytime. (Or easily loan to responsible friends.)

As far as the monthlies go, trim your list. Avoid minis and one shots. Stick to just to Batman and you have:

Batman

Detective

Batman & Robin

Streets of Gotham

Batman Confidential

Optional: Superman Batman

If you're feeling flush:

Batgirl

Red Robin

If you're feeling really flush:

Gotham Girls

Azrael

Birds of Prey

That's a five title core, six if you want Superman. Not bad for a budget. The big thing here is to avoid the minis and one-shots. Those things will suck more money out of your wallet than a drunken Vegas binge. Most are forgotten before the next big cross-over event hits and most aren't all that good anyway.

I've been toying with some ideas but don't know where to go. Should I sell off my slabs? Maybe not yet, especially if you really like some of them All the jewels in the crown are gone, the biggest book I have left is probably a $100 book at best. Should I stop my monthly pull list? Yes Again, that doesn't run too high, maybe around $45 per month. I've looked at titles that I'd like to drop and came up with a a blank, I'm thin on the ground with the pull list anyway.

Should I sell my Walking Dead stuff and pick up the compendiums? Yes Should I sell off my Bats 9.8s I have left? Probably See now I've sold most of my stuff, I feel my collecting focus slabwise lies with Bats anyway, and I think I may cut off other titles and keep them at trades. That way If I solely collected just one character I could cut down that way.

Just what I would do personally.

Of course, only you can truly answer the questions (thumbs u

$45 a month for the pull list? What 5 titles do you collect?

is probably a $100 book at best. Should I stop my monthly pull list? Again, that doesn't run too high, maybe around $45 per month.

I'd start with typing your numbers in pounds sterling, and ignoring the doofi who can't be bothered to look up the exchange rate....

(thumbs u

It's a tricky question.

The UK housing market is starting to pick up again so any comic based profit you can liquidate then re-invest into your house will probably reep better returns in the long run.

I bought our current house 5 years ago and funded a new kitchen (And an Engagement ring) by selling a huge chunk of my collection. The cost of fitting the kitchen will be minimal compared to the additional added value it will provide when we eventually come to sell up and move on.

As for choosing what to sell, that is a little trickier. I went with higher volume and lower value, keeping my treasured stuff for myself. I know I'd have made more selling the higher value items but most have a degree of sentimental value. Replacing a book at a later date just wouldn't have been the same.

From a purely selfish point of view - SELL 'EM ALL. I'm sure you'll have no problem off-loading on these boards