• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has the Neal Adams Market Crashed?

151 posts in this topic

Sorry, misunderstood. The whole thread is about availability of high grade copies, raw or otherwise, and the very picture in your post is raw. Didn't really think it matter. I am not one who thinks CGC is the end all, be all of everything. I don't personally have a slabbed book in my collection, yet I have many, many books which are "slab worthy".

There are people out there that have these books. It is a mistake to think that almost ANYTHING is truly rare. Yes, Tomahawks probably had a very low print run, but so did the GL issues. In one of the later issues (might be 89), it actually tells the print run number which is something like 9 or 10,000 copies.

:o

I'm willing to go out on a limb and state that Tomahawk #116-130 (yes, excluding #120 and #122) are the rarest books that Neal ever set pen to in uber high grade, now, and forever.

Over the 13 issue run, there are 26 9.4s (almost all in the latter books), 10 9.6s, and ZERO 9.8s.

You want a 9.4 run of Adams Tomahawks? IT DOESN'T EXIST.

Good luck!

close, still working on it:

Tomahawk

th_Tomahawk117CGC94WPlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK118CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK119CGC94OWlr.jpg.th_fb3eaea0.jpg.th_Tomahawk125CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.

th_Tomahawk126CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK127CGC94OW-WPOAKLANDlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK128CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK129CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Tomahawk130CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg

:cloud9:

If anybody....

There's only 2 missing from the 9.4 set! (#118 and #129 for anyone curious.)

I'm guessing #129 will be easier in 9.4 than #118, but you could always take the 9.6 and munch it up a little...that'll get you the 9.4....

:whistle:

There is more than 2 missing. No #116. Considering there is only 1 in 9.4 and 1 in 9.0 it might be a while before the set is complete in 9.4.

I meant on the census (which should have been clear by the fact that Dover has both the #118 and the #129, just in 9.6.) HIS set is missing #116, #121, and #123, all of which have a 9.4 representative on the census.

In other words, yes, it's possible to assemble a 9.4 or better set, as Dover illustrates, having the better copies of the missing 9.4s, just not a strict 9.4 only set.

(thumbs u

find one of these in high grade.

168-1.jpg

:popcorn:

and then sell it to me.

:grin:

How high?

This is when the chest beating ritual begins.

168-1.jpg

and then sell it to me.

How high?

9.2 or better. There are many books I have yet to find in 9.0 or better grade, some of the Adventures, some of the Phantom Strangers and several Superboys. Superboy is my favorite run by Neal.

168-1.jpg

and then sell it to me.

How high?

9.2 or better. There are many books I have yet to find in 9.0 or better grade, some of the Adventures, some of the Phantom Strangers and several Superboys. Superboy is my favorite run by Neal.

Not sure it is my favorite, but it is up there. Some of the best covers.

168-1.jpg

and then sell it to me.

How high?

I'll have to do a journal entry on his Superboy run. A huge array of emotion and angst and it showcases his use of new colors and technique.

I'll be at your booth Friday, that is for certain.

168-1.jpg

and then sell it to me.

How high?

I'll have to do a journal entry on his Superboy run. A huge array of emotion and angst and it showcases his use of new colors and technique.

I'll be at your booth Friday, that is for certain.

(thumbs u

I'm willing to go out on a limb and state that Tomahawk #116-130 (yes, excluding #120 and #122) are the rarest books that Neal ever set pen to in uber high grade, now, and forever.

Over the 13 issue run, there are 26 9.4s (almost all in the latter books), 10 9.6s, and ZERO 9.8s.

You want a 9.4 run of Adams Tomahawks? IT DOESN'T EXIST.

Good luck!

close, still working on it:

Tomahawk

th_Tomahawk117CGC94WPlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK118CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK119CGC94OWlr.jpg.th_fb3eaea0.jpg.th_Tomahawk125CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.

th_Tomahawk126CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK127CGC94OW-WPOAKLANDlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK128CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK129CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Tomahawk130CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg

:cloud9:

If anybody....

There's only 2 missing from the 9.4 set! (#118 and #129 for anyone curious.)

I'm guessing #129 will be easier in 9.4 than #118, but you could always take the 9.6 and munch it up a little...that'll get you the 9.4....

:whistle:

There is more than 2 missing. No #116. Considering there is only 1 in 9.4 and 1 in 9.0 it might be a while before the set is complete in 9.4.

I meant on the census (which should have been clear by the fact that Dover has both the #118 and the #129, just in 9.6.) HIS set is missing #116, #121, and #123, all of which have a 9.4 representative on the census.

In other words, yes, it's possible to assemble a 9.4 or better set, as Dover illustrates, having the better copies of the missing 9.4s, just not a strict 9.4 only set.

(thumbs u

Someone say #121 in HG? ( :o Beating my chest for single highest graded)

Tomahawk 121

The only issue with that line of thinking is that I would suspect that the Batmans and GL's that Adams did are probably more likely to get slabbed than the Tomahawks, due to higher demand/prices.

Someone selling a 9.4 Batman 227 would be crazy not to get it slabbed. I don't know that it would be so clear for the Tomahawks.

I don't have GPA, so I'm not sure what the Tomahawks go for in grade (I imagine GPA is pretty thin anyway).

Maybe all it will take is this thread to bring all of the nice copies out of the woodwork :D

There are many things in the comics world that are truly rare.

But, with most items, it must be discussed contextually.

As I said before, it is my opinion that Adams Tomahawks are now the rarest books in high grade that Adams did, by far.

Rarer than, say, New Fun #6? No, of course not.

But among Adams' work, at or near the top. And, for good or for ill, the only way we can statistically measure that rarity is by the census, with slabbed copies.

That there are many people out there who have these books, there is no question. The only question is how many do they have in relation to the other books that Adams did.

168-1.jpg

and then sell it to me.

How high?

Aw man, I was a fan of yours until that last sentence. :sorry: