• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For you Grendel fans out there.

11 posts in this topic

The Infamous ''Shockertoys'' Has released picks of some of their up-coming exclusives one being Hunter Rose Grendel...

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=SHK10067&mode=retail&picture=out

I've been picking up the Indie Spotlight figures And Am surprised at how well made they are.

Also I've never read any of the Grendel books, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Can Anyone here tell me where to start?

that looks pretty sweet... $30 is more than I'm willing to pay for it tho.

DH recently released a hardcover collection of the original 3 issue series + Primer 2... I'm a big fan of those, so that's a pretty good place to start. Also they released Behold the Devil, which is Wagner's most recent outing with the character. I really enjoyed that too; you don't need to have any prior knowledge of the character to enjoy this story.

You definitely want to start with one of those two, I think as it has Wagner on story and art. Good stuff!

DH recently released a hardcover collection of the original 3 issue series + Primer 2... I'm a big fan of those, so that's a pretty good place to start. Also they released Behold the Devil, which is Wagner's most recent outing with the character. I really enjoyed that too; you don't need to have any prior knowledge of the character to enjoy this story.

You definitely want to start with one of those two, I think as it has Wagner on story and art. Good stuff!

Thanks! (thumbs u And the retail price for Grendel figure will be $16.95. This one is a exclusive variant (I don't know what makes it a variant)

I thought those issues would never be reprinted. What's the hardcover titled?

I thought those issues would never be reprinted. What's the hardcover titled?

Well, it took them 20 years to put it out :)

It was supposed to have been called "The Original Grendel", but was published as the Grendel Archive Edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Grendel-Archive-Matt-Wagner/dp/1593077297

Also I've never read any of the Grendel books, but I'm willing to give it a try.

The Grendel Archive Edition HC reprints Comico Primer 2 and the first Grendel miniseries.

These issues are then followed by...

The excellent Grendel backup stories in Wagner's first Mage series, reprinted in the Grendel: Devil By The Deed HC.

I have both, and as a starting point the Devil By The Deed hardcover would be better. The Archive Edition is actually very good by 80s b/w indie standards, it's just that much the same ground is covered brilliantly in Devil By The Deed, and Wagner considers his earliest work on the character a little redundant now in comparison to the level he reached, second time out, while partially retelling the same story.

Batman / Grendel is also excellent, in fact the first of the DC issues is one of my favourite moderns.

Hope this is of some help to you.

The Grendel Archive Edition HC reprints Comico Primer 2 and the first Grendel miniseries.

These issues are then followed by...

The excellent Grendel backup stories in Wagner's first Mage series, reprinted in the Grendel: Devil By The Deed HC.

I have both, and as a starting point the Devil By The Deed hardcover would be better. The Archive Edition is actually very good by 80s b/w indie standards, it's just that much the same ground is covered brilliantly in Devil By The Deed, and Wagner considers his earliest work on the character a little redundant now in comparison to the level he reached, second time out, while partially retelling the same story.

Batman / Grendel is also excellent, in fact the first of the DC issues is one of my favourite moderns.

Hope this is of some help to you.

It is Thank you VERY much! (thumbs u

Good point. The original Grendel concept is quite adaptable and interesting, even for today's audience. Even the wolf-like Argent can be done today pretty easily. I know Matt was trying to go the route of movies, but must have stalled along the way.