• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When will moderns go down in price?

54 posts in this topic

I am just amazed that people buy new comics. (shrug)

I gave up last year when I realized that putting money into modern books is a complete waste of time and money.

I don't do it for profit, I do it for fun. Same reason I buy older comics too. A lot of what I read never does get reprinted or collected in trade so out of habit I guess I buy the floppies of the more mainstream stuff that will get collected. If I have a trade of something I won't buy the floppies though. My Walking Dead collection starts at #48 because I have the compendium.

I gave up last year when I realized that putting money into modern books is a complete waste of time and money.

I think the way to go is to wait to hear a particular story line was actually well done and buy the trade.

That is exactly what I have doing with all the major story arcs. For example I am waiting for Green Lantern: Blackest Night to come out on hard cover then I will buy that at a comics book show for No tax and maybe under cover price.

Another example is I just bought all the Brubaker Caps/DD Omnibuses, so much easier.

Omnibuses are my best friend and will be the only way I read new books.

Which is really no different than waiting for a movie to come out on DVD before seeing it.

Some of us actually like seeing movies in the theatre - and some of us enjoy reading comic books on a weekly/monthly basis. There's nothing "amazing" about that, really.

Nope not me, wasting money on a hunch just is not amazing to me.

Still that is an apples to oranges analogy because unless the customer is a rude they can't preview the comics before they buy them unlike seeing a movie preview before you to the movies.

Now you can wait to hear that the movie is good after opening night and then go see the movie on Saturday or something.

The only new title I would still buy every week is probably Walking Dead because it has continued to be good since issue #1 for the most part, but as you can tell my favorite character is Spider-man & that series hasn't been good since issue 149. That was over 25 years ago.

I am not saying anyone is wrong for buying issues they want every Wednesday cause buy what you like of course.

For me I just don't see the point of spending $3-4 per issue on lackluster stories anymore. Most of the primo superheroes hav't really had major character development since the 1970's and early 80's, so I will wait till I hear something good and then buy the trade/omnibus.

Plus it much easier to store trades than single issues, so I would just rather concentrate on the old stuff that has true market value at all times.

I think the way to go is to wait to hear a particular story line was actually well done and buy the trade.

That is exactly what I have doing with all the major story arcs. For example I am waiting for Green Lantern: Blackest Night to come out on hard cover then I will buy that at a comics book show for No tax and maybe under cover price.

Another example is I just bought all the Brubaker Caps/DD Omnibuses, so much easier.

Omnibuses are my best friend and will be the only way I read new books.

Which is really no different than waiting for a movie to come out on DVD before seeing it.

Some of us actually like seeing movies in the theatre - and some of us enjoy reading comic books on a weekly/monthly basis. There's nothing "amazing" about that, really.

Nope not me, wasting money on a hunch just is not amazing to me.

Still that is an apples to oranges analogy because unless the customer is a rude they can't preview the comics before they buy them unlike seeing a movie preview before you to the movies.

Now you can wait to hear that the movie is good after opening night and then go see the movie on Saturday or something.

The only new title I would still buy every week is probably Walking Dead because it has continued to be good since issue #1 for the most part, but as you can tell my favorite character is Spider-man & that series hasn't been good since issue 149. That was over 25 years ago.

I am not saying anyone is wrong for buying issues they want every Wednesday cause buy what you like of course.

For me I just don't see the point of spending $3-4 per issue on lackluster stories anymore. Most of the primo superheroes hav't really had major character development since the 1970's and early 80's, so I will wait till I hear something good and then buy the trade/omnibus.

Plus it much easier to store trades than single issues, so I would just rather concentrate on the old stuff that has true market value at all times.

You summed it up best, that is probally the number one reason why the majority comics post 1976 have little or no value.Tradepaperbacks, so buy the trades to read that stuff and invest in the true market value stuff. ;)

that's the key tho, right?

You still buy monthly books... at least the one(s) that you like...

maybe Spidey's a bad example as I dropped it after OMD, but I was reading it monthly before that b/c I thought it had "continued to be good... for the most part," but I think the SA stories are just completely horrible and would never buy something like that on a monthly basis.

You really hit the nail on the head. People who still buy monthlies buy them for the same reason you do. :)

am just amazed that people buy new comics.

------

It's not like the trade is really all that much cheaper than the individual issues (if at all). Do the shops that give 30% off for file customers give the same discount for TPBs?

Strangely, I might be the cheapest bast*ard ever, but I have not set up a file for the 5 or so books a month I might buy, even though I think I would get 20% off. Kind of dumb, but I hate being committed to these things and I know when I get that form in front of me I will wind up checking off more books than I would have planned to.

If you don't look at the $3 less store discount as "investing" or "collecting" as opposed to spending on entertainment, then it is more palatable. Seriously, you can spend $3-$5 on a watery beer at a bar (and multiply that by 10). At the end of the day I'd probably enjoy the 10 comics more (if they were good ones!). With that said, the 5 books a month I tend to buy are not the books I expect to see in the dollar box (in other words, I don't buy Marvels or DCs for the most part anymore), so yeah, it's in the back of my head. It would be nice if Powell ever started producing Goon again, I think those tatted up inmates who write to him must be getting restless.

Sometimes its about reading the book....it doesn't always have to be from an investing point of view...the enjoyment factor is sometimes reason enough to buy the book....

------

It's not like the trade is really all that much cheaper than the individual issues (if at all). Do the shops that give 30% off for file customers give the same discount for TPBs?

Strangely, I might be the cheapest bast*ard ever, but I have not set up a file for the 5 or so books a month I might buy, even though I think I would get 20% off. Kind of dumb, but I hate being committed to these things and I know when I get that form in front of me I will wind up checking off more books than I would have planned to.

If you don't look at the $3 less store discount as "investing" or "collecting" as opposed to spending on entertainment, then it is more palatable. Seriously, you can spend $3-$5 on a watery beer at a bar (and multiply that by 10). At the end of the day I'd probably enjoy the 10 comics more (if they were good ones!). With that said, the 5 books a month I tend to buy are not the books I expect to see in the dollar box (in other words, I don't buy Marvels or DCs for the most part anymore), so yeah, it's in the back of my head. It would be nice if Powell ever started producing Goon again, I think those tatted up inmates who write to him must be getting restless.

When I get trades I usually pay $2 - $6 each when I buy on eBay or through the forums. For example I just bought all 10 Punisher MAX trades for $40. You can't beat that! :headbang:

(but then again I am not buying the latest trades, so I probably don't match the intention of this thread)

It is not only the price per item that hurts, it is also the number of items

per week. I am one of the last of the "DC completionists." Now that the

cover price for one weeks DC output ranges from $100 to $300+ I am

seriously considering saying "after I will stop getting

new issues." That includes stop getting them now, stop getting them out

of the 50 cent box, stop period.

----

this is part of the reason i don't buy DC or Marvel off the rack, the endless crossovers with 97 parts. it's another reason i don't wind up reading a lot of what I buy out of the discount box, it's a PITA to complete the whole arc. (yet i don't want to buy tpbs because I like having the "original" in hand, though i will buy a TPB if cheap enough.

so the books I tend to buy tend to have no cross-overs going on. thankfully, WD does not require us to buy 8 other image books to follow the story and (when the goon was being published) we weren't required to buy 6 darkhorse books.

----

this is part of the reason i don't buy DC or Marvel off the rack, the endless crossovers with 97 parts. it's another reason i don't wind up reading a lot of what I buy out of the discount box, it's a PITA to complete the whole arc. (yet i don't want to buy tpbs because I like having the "original" in hand, though i will buy a TPB if cheap enough.

so the books I tend to buy tend to have no cross-overs going on. thankfully, WD does not require us to buy 8 other image books to follow the story and (when the goon was being published) we weren't required to buy 6 darkhorse books.

You've been on the boards for 6 years now - is there any reason why you haven't learned to use the quote-function yet? It's a pita to read your replies this way :thumbsup:

----

You've been on the boards for 6 years now - is there any reason why you haven't learned to use the quote-function yet? It's a pita to read your replies this way :thumbsup:

because i haven't figured out how to use the quote function for just part of someone's post when i don't want to quote the whole essay (like you see above), so I cut and paste and do a "-----" or "*****" to delineate where his/her thoughts end and mine start

anyway, it should be easy enough as i don't capitalize the first letters of my sentences (at least on the internet)

----

because i haven't figured out how to use the quote function for just part of someone's post when i don't want to quote the whole essay (like you see above), so I cut and paste and do a "-----" or "*****" to delineate where his/her thoughts end and mine start

Hit the quote-button, and delete whatever text you don't want to quote :shrug:

----

anyway, it should be easy enough as i don't capitalize the first letters of my sentences (at least on the internet)

Oh, that's going to really narrow it down. meh

:baiting: